Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Mets trade rumors: 2017

Mets trade rumors: The Astros have called about Jacob deGrom

The Mets stunk it up in the first half, and as a result, the team is expected to part ways with some veteran players before the July 31 trade deadline. Curtis Granderson, Jay Bruce, Lucas Duda, and Addison Reed are all set to become free agents this winter and are all playing well enough to warrant interest from contending teams. One guy you don’t hear brought up too much is Jacob deGrom, but it seems the Astros have included him in their search for an ace.

The price for [White Sox starter Jose] Quintana is high enough that the Astros are looking elsewhere, having known to have called on [Julio] Teheran and even Mets star Jacob deGrom, as Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated and MLB Network first reported. And word is, the Astros don’t actually see Quintana as an ace at this point. The Yankees, who once had Quintana in their system, may like him a bit more.

If the price for Quintana is too high for the Astros, it’s hard to imagine they’re going to like what they hear about deGrom from the Mets. While both pitchers are in their prime and earning way less than market value, deGrom has the added bonus of being under team control for three more seasons after this one. Plus, he’s been pitching better than Quintana this year and has been particularly effective during his last five starts.

For the Mets to trade deGrom, the return package would have to be enormous seeing how deGrom has been one of the top hurlers in the majors over the past four years and stands a good chance of being a big part of the franchise’s next postseason effort. Just to start, we’d have to include dynamic outfielder Kyle Tucker in the talks as well as right-handed pitcher Francis Martes. From there, the Mets could decide on whether they’d prefer a close-to-the-majors guy like outfielder Derek Fisher or someone with more defensive upside like Daz Cameron, whose father Mike played for the Mets in the mid-2000s.

With Houston so close to its first ever World Series title, New York could demand the moon for deGrom and probably get it. The problem is that the Mets are hoping to rebound strongly in 2018 with all the pitching they have under control in addition to Michael Conforto, Yoenis Cespedes, and Amed Rosario. As poor as the team’s performance has been in 2017, there’s still a lot of potential in 2018. Trading deGrom now would go against all of that.

That’s why New York is much more likely to deal from the pool of players they don’t expect back in 2018 instead of trading away a franchise cornerstone like deGrom. However, for the blow-it-all-up crowd, a move like that could make for a sunnier 2020.
    https://www.amazinavenue.com/2017/7/...os-kyle-tucker

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I wouldn't accept a package less than what the Cubs just gave up for Quintana.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I wouldn't accept a package less than what the Cubs just gave up for Quintana.
    Would expect more. deGrom is a better pitcher.

Unlike Quintana, he can be your ace going into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Would expect more. deGrom is a better pitcher.

Unlike Quintana, he can be your ace going into the playoffs.
    I don't know about that. I think Quintana is the better pitcher tbh.

They're both under control through 2020, right?

I think the only think that separates the two is that Quintana is getting paid a little more due to his extension and has put up better numbers over a longer period. They're both only about 7-8 months apart with Quintana being younger.

Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised to see Quintana outperform deGrom over the next few years.

I would rather have Bregman, but Tucker, Martes, and Whitley + would be a nice consolation prize.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Astros just picked up Stroman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I don't know about that. I think Quintana is the better pitcher tbh.

They're both under control through 2020, right?

I think the only think that separates the two is that Quintana is getting paid a little more due to his extension and has put up better numbers over a longer period. They're both only about 7-8 months apart with Quintana being younger.

Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised to see Quintana outperform deGrom over the next few years.
    In terms of value since 2014, Quintana is the better pitcher but deGrom has the better FIP, XFIP, FIP-, ERA-, etc. Now lefties tend to age better than RHP do but for immediate production, I would want deGrom over Quintana if I was a major league GM.

Yeah they're both FA in 2021. Q has the better contract as well because deGrom is going to get more expensive in arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Where it is mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Just a rumor disguised as news.
    I hate twitter.

Joel Sherman
    Good for #Whitesox #Cubs to do what is best for them and not worry about both sharing Chicago. #Mets and #yankees should take notice

A package for deGrom starts with Bregman or it doesn't start at all, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

The trade package mentioned in the article would be a disaster for the Mets. Lets trade our 29 year old ace, who has 3 more years before FA, for a bunch of unknowns. LMAO.

Maybe the Dodgers should trade Kershaw because he's 29 also... Give me a break.

If the Astros call, I ask for one of Correa, Altuve, or Springer. In which case, the Astros obviously hang up. So no deal.

Maybe, just maybe, I could do Bregman + all the players in the package mentioned in the article.
    #oneatatime

See I just would not deal deGrom, this team should still be good enough to compete for the playoffs beyond this year and to do that I want their two best pitches staying here. Syndergaard and deGrom need to stay, work on improving the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would trade someone like Matz instead of deGrom. We could still get a very nice package. Hurry up before he's hurt again and loses all value like Harvey...

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I would trade someone like Matz instead of deGrom. We could still get a very nice package. Hurry up before he's hurt again and loses all value like Harvey...
    That's what concerns me about deGrom.

deGrom and Quintana have some similarities:
    • Both have a WAR of 14.1 since 2014.
    • Both are FA after the 2020 season.
    • And both started their careers as Mets.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast