Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Great trade for Chicago.
    [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    oh how I wish my team (Tigers) had a competent GM. Tiger rumors flying but it will likely end up a dud like the off season was because Al Al can't evaluate trade value.
    Yes. Avila talked a good game when he came in but hasn't done much to instill confidence.

I hate the White Sox but love what they are doing.

That White Sox team is gonna be a ton of fun to watch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Great trade for Chicago.
    This is possibly my favorite comment ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

This is a big move by the Cubs, but not for the reason you think. Unless they make a huge leap, i can't see another World Series. I could see the playoffs though. This is a big move because of the future. I'm going to guess that unless he takes a huge paycut, Arrieta is packing his bags right now and next years top 3 is
    Lester
    Q
    Hendricks

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    This is a big move by the Cubs, but not for the reason you think. Unless they make a huge leap, i can't see another World Series. I could see the playoffs though. This is a big move because of the future. I'm going to guess that unless he takes a huge paycut, Arrieta is packing his bags right now and next years top 3 is
    Lester
    Q
    Hendricks
    I think that was happening anyway because Jake doesn't seem to recognize the hit his value has taken. He's not likely to take a 3-4 year deal to stay with the Cubs.

I could see the Cubs throwing a lot of money at Darvish now.

And Harper lingers as a real possibility as well. Having Q for 30m til 2020 helps their flexibility tremendously.

Cubs good deal. Now they don't have to pay Arrieta.

White Sox great deal. I'm not willing to put my unburnt reputation on the line for Eloy but he's a tremendously high upside prospect.

Lester
    Q
    Hendricks
    Funny that you act as though any of this is a bad thing.

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

good deal for both sides, leave it at that
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Cubs good deal. Now they don't have to pay Arrieta.

White Sox great deal. I'm not willing to put my unburnt reputation on the line for Eloy but he's a tremendously high upside prospect.
    So now there are two of my top 10 favorite comments in one thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Funny that you act as though any of this is a bad thing.
    It isn't, its huge becuase the Cubs get their JA replacement

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    So now there are two of my top 10 favorite comments in one thread.
    Yeah, I found that laughable af.

It isn't, its huge becuase the Cubs get their JA replacement
    Okay. Misinterpreted what you were getting at then. A younger, cheaper, Arrieta replacement at that.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    What do the cubs have left in the minor league system? Is it totally empty now?
    Cubs system remaining looks depleted on paper, but I like a few of their kids in the younger levels. They have a kid from Mexico named Jose Albertos who's finally throwing (hits 97mph on the gun), another kids named Abert Azolay who may take over as their best P prospect who's really broken out this year (and just made it to AA) and Isaac Paredes, an 18 SS who has a .355 wOBA in A ball (though it's iffy if he can stay at the position as of now). There's a few kids like Oscar De La Cruz (potential), Hatch (having a nice season).

I wouldn't say it's empty. It's lacking any high-ranking spec of mention as of today, but I think there's a few kids who could break out down the road, too. I doubt any are of Torres/Jimenez's level right now...but I don't think it's empty, either. It's just hard to see which talent is going to truly rise right now. So I'd say it's "murky". That said, it'll probably take 2-3 years before we think of the Cubs system as a "top" system or capable of making another Quintana/Chapman like splace, too
    1st Place...the only place that matters

This is a great deal for the Cubs. By trading Jimenez the Cubs are taking a risk, but they are fulling getting behind their young major league squad. They still have Bryant (25), Rizzo (27), Baez (24), Russell (23), Schwarber (24), Hayward (27), Contreras (25), Happ (22), and Almora (23). They have all the young positional talent they need.
    What they have need of, and still need even after this trade, is pitching.

After this season is over Arrieta and Lackey are gone. That leaves the rotation with Lester, Quintana, and Hendricks as they top of the order with Montgomery and Butler as possible back-end starters next year. That's still probably not good enough but much better than what they were facing before the trade. Quintana is on the best deal in the majors and the Cubs will have him through 2020.

What the Cubs need to do for this season is re-find themselves and then go after both Yu Darvish and Shohei Otani this winter to solidify their rotation. If they can field a rotation of Darvish, Lester, Quintana, Hendricks, and Otani behind that lineup that's only going to get better, a Cubs dynasty may yet happen still.

Also they have to re sign Wade Davis. They can no longer afford to let top end closers walk.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 07-13-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast