Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Stanley Johnson

Stanley Johnson

Hey guys,
    As the username suggest, I'm a UA Alum, and while my basketball interest is much more dominated by college ball compared to NBA, I like to follow our former players. I know Stanley is now two years into his career and was curious on what your guys' take on him so far. I've heard several people dump on him as a 'huge disappointment' as he had an NBA ready body but didn't have an immediate impact, so I'm just hoping to see if that really is the case or if there's more to it than the casual Detroit fan's hot take.

Thanks!

I'd say year 2 was a disappointment, he took a step back, but his minutes were pretty inconsistent too so it's hard to say. The way he took on LeBron in the playoffs as a rookie made me all excited about his future, but his shot hasn't improved and he seemed to be in the doghouse last year

I've noticed if you venture outside of prosportsdaily onto other sites like facebook or w/e you'll find a much more toxic and uneducated community of so called Detroit fans. Guysir pretty much summed up SJ, all I can add is that the guy is only 21.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisec01 View Post
    I've noticed if you venture outside of prosportsdaily onto other sites like facebook or w/e you'll find a much more toxic and uneducated community of so called Detroit fans. Guysir pretty much summed up SJ, all I can add is that the guy is only 21.
    Appreciate it guys, and yeah, as I lifelong Lions fan, I still hear that Stafford is our biggest issue and needs to be traded before we can move forward, which is why I wanted to ask those a little more in the know lol

Quote Originally Posted by UofA View Post
    Appreciate it guys, and yeah, as I lifelong Lions fan, I still hear that Stafford is our biggest issue and needs to be traded before we can move forward, which is why I wanted to ask those a little more in the know lol
    Stay out of the Lions forum then lol.

Defense has never really been an issue, with him and Bradley defending the wings I imagine we will be solid there. The lack of shooting (long or short) is infuriating. Then again nobody on this team can really shoot which is surprising given that SVG seemingly was trying to copy his formula from Orlando here.
    Last edited by LionsFan..LOL; 07-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UofA View Post

#QWiNNING

Stanley was pretty damn good pre all star break his rookie season, since then he's regressed on offense

he's just doesn't have any confidence with his shooting and misses a lot when he drives. he's a pretty good defender tho. we'll see...

#QWiNNING

With KCP & Morris gone I think this is Stanley's "prove it" season...his rookie year he showed flashes, followed by one of the biggest sophomore slumps I've ever seen. This upcoming year it appears he's in the position to get some consistent minutes barring some blockbuster trade. His main competition for minutes appears to be Reggie Bullock (who's set to serve a 5 game suspension).

👑

I think Stanley was better towards the end of the season, he was making smarter plays and knocking down some corner 3's.
    I think he will be alright next season without Morris on the team
    Using Tapatalk

I'm optimistic for SJ to make a big leap forward this year. I can't find it now, but I read an article recently where it was noted that SJ appears to have matured during the off season, that he is showing up early to work out and such. Perhaps SVG putting him in the doghouse last year was the wake up call SJ needed.

Can't add much to what has already been said - but my 2 cents worth.

Was expecting a natural progression last season from his first, which did not happen. With any draft choice it's always easier to look and compare to anyone selected afterwards - and in this case it's Devin Booker. A number of site readers wanted Booker, several wanted SJ with a couple of others. Given how badly we needed shooting last year, it will always be an issue. Ala - Sam Bowie / Micheal Jordan debate.

SVG has forgotten more about basketball than all of us combined will ever know - so take this with a large grain of salt. The military "trains how it fights." I think last summer with SVG having SJ work on various aspects versus playing in game simulation was a step a hinderance. Sure, you can shoot 1000s of shots - which you need to do - but developing that game shot can only be closest replicated by playing in games. SJ - from what I read - did not do a lot of scrimmaging last summer. Add to that that he came to camp a bit heavy (I think he wanted to be able to challenge LeBron more - after the playoff series matchup) and whatever else happened to put him in the dog house - had an effect on SJ because it's the first time in his entire basketball history he may have been challenged that he was not a prime quality player.

With Marcus gone, there's a prime opportunity for him. We shall see, but this is a very important year for him.