Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 Pointers By Position

There are always manners to frame things to see them positively or negatively, but I'm curious what people think of the following statistics and how they could translate for this team.

PG: Lowry - Averaged 3.2 three point field goals a game (Top 3 among PG's in the NBA)
    - Converted 3pt field goal attempts at 41.2% (Top 3 among PG's in the NBA)

SF: Miles - Averaged 2.2 three point field goals a game (Top 3 among SF's in the NBA)
    - Converted 3pt field goal attempts at 41.3% (Top 4 among SF's in the NBA)

PF: Ibaka - Averaged 1.6 three point field goals a game (Top 8 among PF's in the NBA)
    - Converted 3pt field goal attempts at 39.1% (Top 5 among PF's in the NBA)

I was curious whether Ibaka was able to sustain his numbers from Orlando since he arrived here. Ibaka's 3pt% and attempts actually increased after being traded (although 2pt attempts and conversion rate went down).

Is this the start of culture change? Or will the impact be negligible?

Miles def helps with range, Lowry and Ibaka havent played alongside one another very much .. The floor has def opened up for Derozan.

The issue still remains Jonas clogging the paint. I like the guy but his position has changed.. we need to move him for another shooter and defensive player.

Also you gotta think Derozan has been working on that 3 pointer and Powell will def get more playing time this year. Our ahooting has improved no doubt which is good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Miles def helps with range, Lowry and Ibaka havent played alongside one another very much .. The floor has def opened up for Derozan.

The issue still remains Jonas clogging the paint. I like the guy but his position has changed.. we need to move him for another shooter and defensive player.

Also you gotta think Derozan has been working on that 3 pointer and Powell will def get more playing time this year. Our ahooting has improved no doubt which is good to see.
    I agree about Jonas. (Been banging that drum for a couple years now). I don't hate the guy, just not sure on the fit or the ceiling anymore.

I'd love them to still add a 4 they can rely on when Serge is playing the 5. As much as a lineup of Lowry/DeMar/Powell/Miles/Ibaka could be very effective offensively, I'd be concerned they are too small on the defensive end. I'm not sure Siakam is ready yet, but he would be the type of player that could fit into a mix like that. I'd still love to see them throw the MLE at JaMychal Green (even if Grizzlies decide to match it eventually). His length, athleticism, defense and energy would work really nice next to Serge Ibaka on both ends IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Also you gotta think Derozan has been working on that 3 pointer
    Have you seen any indications of that, any comments from him? We've been waiting for him to work on his 3 pointer for about 4 summers now... I really hope this is the one, but I'm losing hope.

Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    Have you seen any indications of that, any comments from him? We've been waiting for him to work on his 3 pointer for about 4 summers now... I really hope this is the one, but I'm losing hope.
    No but ive seen improvements in his game every year .. theres really only two areas left for him to improve on

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I agree about Jonas. (Been banging that drum for a couple years now). I don't hate the guy, just not sure on the fit or the ceiling anymore.

I'd love them to still add a 4 they can rely on when Serge is playing the 5. As much as a lineup of Lowry/DeMar/Powell/Miles/Ibaka could be very effective offensively, I'd be concerned they are too small on the defensive end. I'm not sure Siakam is ready yet, but he would be the type of player that could fit into a mix like that. I'd still love to see them throw the MLE at JaMychal Green (even if Grizzlies decide to match it eventually). His length, athleticism, defense and energy would work really nice next to Serge Ibaka on both ends IMO.
    Green would be nice for sure. Fits the youth movement as well

He's obviously worked on it. He just isn't a great standing shooter. Like gianis, he's just better on the move.

I'm looking forward to a Der/Val pick and roll with Ibaka/Lowry/Miles spreading the floor.

I also still LOVE the idea of Val off the bench with his efficient scoring. You just know wright/Powell/Siakam etc will feed him down low. I'm willing to bet that if he ends up coming off the bench he will keep us afloat in many games the way Monroe kept the Bucks alive in a few of the playoff games.

Derozan is a much better 3point shooter than when he came to the league. He's a good corner threat. He just isn't volume-quality from there where you're ok with him throwing up 3's in a guy's face like Lowry.

If Ibaka is going to be relied on for 3 point shots and play center, then we are in big trouble. Because he doesn't rebound well as it is, let alone moving him to C and playing with guys like Demar, Lowry, Powell, etc.

I personally don't see him playing C exclusively for quite a while. I think they were just posturing for a Val trade.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer:31741316
    There are always manners to frame things to see them positively or negatively, but I'm curious what people think of the following statistics and how they could translate for this team.

PG: Lowry - Averaged 3.2 three point field goals a game (Top 3 among PG's in the NBA)
    - Converted 3pt field goal attempts at 41.2% (Top 3 among PG's in the NBA)

SF: Miles - Averaged 2.2 three point field goals a game (Top 3 among SF's in the NBA)
    - Converted 3pt field goal attempts at 41.3% (Top 4 among SF's in the NBA)

PF: Ibaka - Averaged 1.6 three point field goals a game (Top 8 among PF's in the NBA)
    - Converted 3pt field goal attempts at 39.1% (Top 5 among PF's in the NBA)

I was curious whether Ibaka was able to sustain his numbers from Orlando since he arrived here. Ibaka's 3pt% and attempts actually increased after being traded (although 2pt attempts and conversion rate went down).

Is this the start of culture change? Or will the impact be negligible?
    I don't think it has that much to do with culture change. It seems like that term goes beyond just the court. With that said, it's definitely a positive to have three very good 3 point shooters.

I am looking forward to seeing them use lineups such as:

Lowry
    Powell
    DD
    Miles
    Ibaka

Siakam and Poeltl are both working on their threes . Powell said he's working on it a lot. During the playoffs, he said he was studying Korver.

We might have decent shooting but it's not a sign of change in style imo. Casey is saying all the right things again, here's hoping we finally see more movement.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Remember as early as a few years ago saying that this team plays outside too much and needs to get to the basket? I don't think we have to worry about that this time because we have Demar and Val.

Movement is simply giving up good shots for better shots. Then basketball smarts is taking 3's instead of long 2's. If Lowry and Demar can simply learn to pass the ball instead of taking all those mid range shots then our assists and "movement" will be fine. The problem is guys need to make those shots for them to want to pass them the ball. Hopefully Siakam can keep up the outside shooting. He was taking them and making them in summer league, and shooting open shots is one thing that doesn't change between summer league and the regular season.

I have a feeling we are going to start the season with:

Ibaka
    Siakam
    Wright
    Derozan
    Lowry

6th man- Powell (even though I would rather see him start, he can create offense better than Wright)
    1st big off the bench - JV

Its spots 8, 9 and 10 in the rotation that will be interesting to me. I don't see us going any further than 10 deep in regular minutes, and we have Poeltl, Bebe, Wright and VanVleet all battling for those minutes. ..(plus OG once he gets healthy and into game shape again.) They all bring something to the table, so it will be interesting to see who steps up and earns those minutes.

It would be a shock to me if they didn't open the season with
    Lowry
    Derozan
    Miles
    Ibaka
    Val.

Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    I heard in practice he took 700 3 point shots and hit 64%
    The Big Three!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast