Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Off-season Needs

I know it's incredibly early to talk about this...but I'd like to get a consensus of what YOU guys perceive to be the biggest question marks of our lineup heading into next season. We have some vets to trade, and perhaps we can fill a need.

I wanna roll with Dom at 1st/Rosario at SS/Ces in Left/Conforto in Right, no questions asked.

I want to roll with Lagares-Nimmo in CF and TJ Rivera-Flores-Cheech at 2nd...but i wouldn't question going after the right guy for the right price at either of those positions.

I want to find a 3Bman and Catcher, period.

Here's what I got in order of my importance:

1. 3B (Rivera/Cheech/Flores can provide a spot start, but as of right now none of them can be penned in as a starter)

2. C (I want TDA gone. I'm tired of his defense and tired of his softness...I'd be fine with resigning Rene as a backup, nothing more)

3. CF (I'm personally fine with Lagares/Nimmo sharing the position. They both provide value...but we could see this as a position to upgrade if the right guy comes along for the right price...Cain maybe)

4. 3B/SS depth (this is something Cabrera can fill perfectly, while also providing a solid switch hitting bat off the bench...he brings value to our team in that role if he isn't traded......if he is......I know we got cheech/Flores/Rivera who can play on the left side in a pinch...but this may be an area where a solid vet could fill)

5. OF Depth (if Bruce/Grandy are traded or are not back...we got Ces/Conforto/Nimmo/Lagares, if we don't deem it necessary to sign a Cain type of guy...it would seem prudent to find a solid 5th guy that brings speed or power off the bench.....I can't think of an OFer in the lower ranks that would be ready. Perhaps Taijeron comes up later this year and shows he can be a solid 5th OFer with some pop)

If we can somehow manage to get any of those 5 I outlined above in trading our expiring contracts, I'd be ecstatic.

(#4 gets answered if we don't trade Cabrera...if we manage to get #3 answered in a trade, then that would also take care of #5)

((I'd like this thread to stick to the lineup and not the pitching...we can make one for that when things start to shape up a bit more))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by n8ghee; 07-08-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Off-season Needs

I think I'd target Lucroy. He is having the worst season of his career at the plate, but he still plays an above average brand of defense and if I'm not mistaken, is pretty reliable with health. We'd be lacking some veteran leadership and he'd bring that, might be beneficial to our young pitchers. He'd also be within our budget now that he's had a pretty bad half of a season.

I think I'd go after Todd Frazier for 3rd. He too also still plays an above average brand of Defense. We'd be getting rid of all our Boom/Bust type of bats, so sure, why not add one. He also should be reasonably priced.

1B-Dom/Flores
    2B-TJ/Flores
    SS-Rosario/Cabrera
    3B-Frazier/Cabrera

LF-Ces
    CF-Lagares/Nimmo
    RF-Conforto/??

C-Lucroy/??

I'd really like that team from a defensive standpoint. Could be pretty good at the plate too.

Last edited by n8ghee; 07-08-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Not ready for this thread yet. At worst would like to see Rosario and Smith get 150-200 PAs before thinking about next year. Would also like to see if Familia returns to the hill successfully.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Not ready for this thread yet. At worst would like to see Rosario and Smith get 150-200 PAs before thinking about next year. Would also like to see if Familia returns to the hill successfully.
    You don't need to wait to know that Sandy Alderson has to fix our horrible bullpen or else we go nowhere. No bullpen, no championship.

In order:

Closer/set up guy
    Third baseman
    CF
    Catcher
    Starter

I made my comments about Familia and with Reed gone, I don't think we have anybody who can close out games.

We don't have a third baseman but I too would sign Frazier or re-sign Walker. I would try to give him a 1-2 year contract...who knows, playing close to home might be good for him. To those who says he sucks, well he's way better than anything else we have and can probably put up a 2-4 WAR season...which is exactly why we WON'T sign him.

I would like Nimmo in the outfield but he's too unproven for me. Lagares I've given up on completely. The guy should be relegated to a 4th outfielder or start if we have 8 other good hitters. With Rosario and Smith coming up, I don't want another question mark in the lineup. I would go after Cain or Dyson, trade Lagares/Nimmo + TDA for bullpen help, then use the other as a 4th outfielder.

I don't think we REALLY need a catcher but the more I think about it, the more I would like Alex Avila behind the plate. He's a damn good hitter who plays well above average defense...he's also a lefty which gives us a little more depth as far as the bench goes. If not Avila then I definitely want Wellington Castillo. Forget Lucroy.

Starter is a crap shoot. I was initially vying for Nate Karns but now he might need thoracic outlet surgey so nevermind. We do however, need a guy who can throw 200 innings and keep a sub-4 ERA...I'm sure there are a few guys who fit that bill.

We could have some nice trade pieces in Flores, TDA, Lagares, Nimmo, Cechenni, etc.

1B- Smith/Flores/TDA
    2B- Cabrera
    SS- Rosario
    3B- Frazier
    UTIL- Flores/TJ
    C- Avila/Rene/TDA

LF- Ces
    CF - Dyson/Cain
    RF- Conforto
    4th OF - Lagares/Nimmo

Pitching I won't go too much into but at first glance, that team looks damn good defensively

Off-season Needs

One of the most difficult places to be as a sports team is good and talented but not good or talented enough to win a title.

That's where the Mets are. And I truly believe they would be best served taking a 2 pronged approach.

1) Trade away every veteran with an expiring deal. It may not net the team a huge supply of young talent, but even if you get 1 or 2 solid young players you're infinitely better off.

2) Assess what is left in the organization to see if FA and trades can get the team back in real contention by 2018. With $70million coming off the books plus whatever insurance money they get on Wright, there's plenty of financial resources there.

I think they need to get at least 1 more solid starting pitcher, a 3rd baseman, a catcher and some fresh pen arms. I'm good with an OF of Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo and Lagares. I'm good with Smith, Flores/Rivera and Rosario covering 3/4 of the IF.

If they actually remake the lineup into one with more consistent and less boom or bust guys, I think this team is again able to get to 90 wins.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Their problem is that their ace got hurt, Matz didn't make his debut until June. Plus Gsellman and the Ladies Man sucked this year. Throw in Familia being suspended then having a blood clot. It's recipe for disaster.

Their offense, especially Conforto have been one of the few bright spots this year.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Their problem is that their ace got hurt, Matz didn't make his debut until June. Plus Gsellman and the Ladies Man sucked this year. Throw in Familia being suspended then having a blood clot. It's recipe for disaster.

Their offense, especially Conforto have been one of the few bright spots this year.
    They still need to get better in the bullpen and defensively at various positions.

Even if they only add Valencia for 3rd base, Cain in CF, and rework the bullpen they should be more well rounded. I would look to bring someone who is an impending FA so the offense doesn't suffer entirely but the team still needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    One of the most difficult places to be as a sports team is good and talented but not good or talented enough to win a title.

That's where the Mets are. And I truly believe they would be best served taking a 2 pronged approach.

1) Trade away every veteran with an expiring deal. It may not net the team a huge supply of young talent, but even if you get 1 or 2 solid young players you're infinitely better off.

2) Assess what is left in the organization to see if FA and trades can get the team back in real contention by 2018. With $70million coming off the books plus whatever insurance money they get on Wright, there's plenty of financial resources there.

I think they need to get at least 1 more solid starting pitcher, a 3rd baseman, a catcher and some fresh pen arms. I'm good with an OF of Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo and Lagares. I'm good with Smith, Flores/Rivera and Rosario covering 3/4 of the IF.

If they actually remake the lineup into one with more consistent and less boom or bust guys, I think this team is again able to get to 90 wins.
    This is exactly how I feel.

-get rid of expiring assets
    -get youngster in day to day lineup
    -reassess what needs are after the season
    -fill the few holes with money coming off the books

No reason to think we won't compete next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post

Exactly. The pitching situation went about as horrible as one could have imagined.

I'll be watching the starters closely for the remainder of the year, they need to gain some confidence moving into next season (not worried about Degrom).

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    In order:

Closer/set up guy
    Third baseman
    CF
    Catcher
    Starter

I made my comments about Familia and with Reed gone, I don't think we have anybody who can close out games.

We don't have a third baseman but I too would sign Frazier or re-sign Walker. I would try to give him a 1-2 year contract...who knows, playing close to home might be good for him. To those who says he sucks, well he's way better than anything else we have and can probably put up a 2-4 WAR season...which is exactly why we WON'T sign him.

I would like Nimmo in the outfield but he's too unproven for me. Lagares I've given up on completely. The guy should be relegated to a 4th outfielder or start if we have 8 other good hitters. With Rosario and Smith coming up, I don't want another question mark in the lineup. I would go after Cain or Dyson, trade Lagares/Nimmo + TDA for bullpen help, then use the other as a 4th outfielder.

I don't think we REALLY need a catcher but the more I think about it, the more I would like Alex Avila behind the plate. He's a damn good hitter who plays well above average defense...he's also a lefty which gives us a little more depth as far as the bench goes. If not Avila then I definitely want Wellington Castillo. Forget Lucroy.

Starter is a crap shoot. I was initially vying for Nate Karns but now he might need thoracic outlet surgey so nevermind. We do however, need a guy who can throw 200 innings and keep a sub-4 ERA...I'm sure there are a few guys who fit that bill.

We could have some nice trade pieces in Flores, TDA, Lagares, Nimmo, Cechenni, etc.

1B- Smith/Flores/TDA
    2B- Cabrera
    SS- Rosario
    3B- Frazier
    UTIL- Flores/TJ
    C- Avila/Rene/TDA

LF- Ces
    CF - Dyson/Cain
    RF- Conforto
    4th OF - Lagares/Nimmo

Pitching I won't go too much into but at first glance, that team looks damn good defensively
    I'm surprised you've given up on Lagares. Unless it's because of injury.

He's still top flight defensive center fielder. I trade production hitting at that position for elite defense.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    I'm surprised you've given up on Lagares. Unless it's because of injury.

He's still top flight defensive center fielder. I trade production hitting at that position for elite defense.

The broken thumb and the shoulder injuries makes me believe his arm will be even worse. His defense has continuously taken steps back since his 4 WAR season in 2014. The years following that, he averaged a little under a win per year. If Lagares could produce his typical defense and have a wRC+ above 85, he'd be a good player. His defense sadly isn't as good but his wRC hasn't been above 90 since it was 101 (back in 2014)

IMO, his best year was a fluke.

The reason I want Dyson is because he's exactly what we hoped Lagares would be. Dyson however, gets on base at a .330 clip to say the least. Lagares is lucky if he gets it over .300. Dyson also plays better defense and steals more bases.

Also, Nimmo in CF isnt going to be realistic at this point considering he has a partially collapsed lung. We have to treat him as a non-factor going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    The broken thumb and the shoulder injuries makes me believe his arm will be even worse. His defense has continuously taken steps back since his 4 WAR season in 2014. The years following that, he averaged a little under a win per year. If Lagares could produce his typical defense and have a wRC+ above 85, he'd be a good player. His defense sadly isn't as good but his wRC hasn't been above 90 since it was 101 (back in 2014)

IMO, his best year was a fluke.

The reason I want Dyson is because he's exactly what we hoped Lagares would be. Dyson however, gets on base at a .330 clip to say the least. Lagares is lucky if he gets it over .300. Dyson also plays better defense and steals more bases.

Also, Nimmo in CF isnt going to be realistic at this point considering he has a partially collapsed lung. We have to treat him as a non-factor going forward.
    It's hard for me to get on board because I'm biased with Johnny Legs. I enjoy watching him make plays in the field soooo much, and the little we saw of him this year was very very good in Center.

Very app time for this thread. May 15 passed a long time ago.

Not ready to proclaim Dom Smith our first baseman. Make him win it. As of now I'd sooner go with TJ Rivera or Wilmer at first. We need a third baseman, catcher, and centerfielder.

Those are our biggest needs.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

One reason I want to see Smith is that he is not a power guy, but a guy like Murphy.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast