Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Martinez for first would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Plaw has no cannon.
    He throws a 74 mph knuckleball for christs sake.

I stand corrected.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Plaw has no cannon.
    He throws a 74 mph knuckleball for christs sake.

Yeah, nobody can say ever that he has a cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I believe Alderson has more of a say than a lot of us believe. If you take him at his word (I get why people don't), he was the one who pushed for a higher payroll threshold this past offseason. Now I understand his language has changed but I do think he'll be looking for talent in the offseason and the Mets have pieces to trade depending on who is targeted.

That's not completely true either. A player like Eugenio Saurez is a guy they can target who doesn't cost a lot of money and can be a solid addition at 3rd base. I understand he will cost multiple prospects but not every upgrade in talent comes with huge monetary commitments.

Like I said they may not exercise every option or arbitration eligible player. Sure, their ways of improvement are limited by essentially a cap but its not like Thor, Rosario, deGrom are their only valuable assets.
    With the payroll that has come off, there is no reason NOT to try to add a Moustakas at 3B. Especially since it appears that Nimmo/Lagares could be a decent platoon (at worst) in CF (taking my Lorenzo Cain initial hopes off the table). 2B could be adequately handled by a mixture of Flores and Rivera (taking my other option of a Dee Gordon trade out of contention).

There are no real options for improvement in house at the 3B position, and I don't see them moving prospects for a guy like Suarez. That does not seem to be what Sandy wants to do.

They could add Moustakas, a couple of relievers, and a lower level innings sponge SP and still be under what the payroll is this year.

Not exactly a plan that gets the fanbase hot and bothered, that's for sure. Not what I would like to see, and not something worthy of a team in the largest market in the world.

God damn, I hate the ****ing Wilpons.
    I can be boring and vanilla, too! Controversy = BAD...

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I believe Alderson has more of a say than a lot of us believe. If you take him at his word (I get why people don't), he was the one who pushed for a higher payroll threshold this past offseason. Now I understand his language has changed but I do think he'll be looking for talent in the offseason and the Mets have pieces to trade depending on who is targeted.

That's not completely true either. A player like Eugenio Saurez is a guy they can target who doesn't cost a lot of money and can be a solid addition at 3rd base. I understand he will cost multiple prospects but not every upgrade in talent comes with huge monetary commitments.

Like I said they may not exercise every option or arbitration eligible player. Sure, their ways of improvement are limited by essentially a cap but its not like Thor, Rosario, deGrom are their only valuable assets.
    With the payroll that has come off, there is no reason NOT to try to add a Moustakas at 3B. Especially since it appears that Nimmo/Lagares could be a decent platoon (at worst) in CF (taking my Lorenzo Cain initial hopes off the table). 2B could be adequately handled by a mixture of Flores and Rivera (taking my other option of a Dee Gordon trade out of contention).

There are no real options for improvement in house at the 3B position, and I don't see them moving prospects for a guy like Suarez. That does not seem to be what Sandy wants to do.

They could add Moustakas, a couple of relievers, and a lower level innings sponge SP and still be under what the payroll is this year.

Not exactly a plan that gets the fanbase hot and bothered, that's for sure. Not what I would like to see, and not something worthy of a team in the largest market in the world.

What the hell are you talking about, boy? Didn't you read that none other than David Wright hisself done said he'll be back next season and good as new? Damned, boy, why you gonna want some other dumb summa ***** to be playin there then?

Damned.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Pass on Moustakas, a .317 obp is not what I would call average.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you but they don't have a ton of payroll coming off the books. I think Baseball reference has them at nearly 129 million dollars next year in payroll with options and arbitration raise estimates and if they aren't going to approach the 150+million dollars in payroll they had to start this season, its going to be difficult for them to have a ton of flexibility. Alderson is already hinting as much.

That said, its not like the Mets are gridlocked. Perhaps Wright retires, perhaps they don't pick up the option on Cabrera, perhaps they trade Ramos, Blevins or Harvey (unlikely but it could still happen). They can clear up some payroll and if need be they have some young pieces teams would find attractive.

I'm not getting my hopes up because the Wilpons are in the business of tempering expectations but like I said not every upgrade costs 25 million dollars a year. I don't see Alderson being opposed to trading prospects. He was willing to move guys like Wheeler, Flores, Fulmer, etc for players like Upton, Gomez, etc. Again, I'm not optimistic but I'm also not one to sell on 2018 as if its a season where they don't compete. Certain things have to fall into place but its not like the team is bereft of talent.

They just had a really bad year in terms of SP performance, injury, etc. That could happen again next year but none of us have a crystal ball. That's why it is important they find an innings eater though.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Pass on Moustakas, a .317 obp is not what I would call average.
    If you're concerned about OBP then Frazier should be an ideal pick up. He might bat .200 but is walking at a 13.6% clip. He also plays a better defense than Moose (and Nuñez for that matter)

Unlike a guy like Suarez, Frazier could be had for a reasonable amount of money and doesn't come with the question marks. Suarez just had a breakout year...of course the Reds will sell high on a guy who can't hit away from home and who has been mediocre up until this year.

Hell, if Zack Cozart was willing to play third, he would definitely be toward the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    If you're concerned about OBP then Frazier should be an ideal pick up. He might bat .200 but is walking at a 13.6% clip. He also plays a better defense than Moose (and Nuñez for that matter)

Unlike a guy like Suarez, Frazier could be had for a reasonable amount of money and doesn't come with the question marks. Suarez just had a breakout year...of course the Reds will sell high on a guy who can't hit away from home and who has been mediocre up until this year.

Hell, if Zack Cozart was willing to play third, he would definitely be toward the top of my list.
    Disagree.

Frazier has a career .320 OBP.

Pass.
    I can be boring and vanilla, too! Controversy = BAD...

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

I would rather trade for Suarez.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Well agree to disagree, Clay.

Looks like starting pitching is going to be the main priority this offseason. I hope we sign a guy like Fister, Vargas, Sabathia, Lance Lynn, Jaime Garcia, or Andrew Cashner. They all seem like realistic possibilities and I would mind most of them on multi year deals. Jaime, Cashner, and Vargas would all be on my list of targets tbh.

I would love to get Vargas back, but I am not looking forward hearing about the Putz trade on a daily basis.

I have a fat fetish when it comes to pitching. I want CC Sabathia in a Mets uniform next season. He's a horse.

I'd settle for Vargas or Garcia

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast