Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Are you saying that because there are reports he's considering retirement after the season? Because I thought there was "little to no chance" of him getting fired.
    Yes. Retirement is part of the equation, as is that his contract expires at the end of the season.

If the Mets do not offer him a 2018 contract - I don't consider that as being the same as being fired during a contract.
    Every manager has a shelf life. Terry had had a good run.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Yes. Retirement is part of the equation, as is that his contract expires at the end of the season.

If the Mets do not offer him a 2018 contract - I don't consider that as being the same as being fired during a contract.
    Unless he's retiring, they're essentially relieving him of his duties. Euphemisms aside, its sounds like the politically correct way of firing someone while allowing them to save face some.

Unless he's retiring, they're essentially relieving him of his duties. Euphemisms aside, its sounds like the politically correct way of firing someone while allowing them to save face some.
    if thats how you want to see it.

Point is there is a big difference berween firing someine in-season and not extending a new contract over the winter. If you fire them in season, you' have zero confidence in them.

Personally I think TC is going to step out on his own. As FOC said, he had a good run - and he proved all the haters wrong about his ability to handle a clubhouse.

if thats how you want to see it.

Point is there is a big difference berween firing someine in-season and not extending a new contract over the winter. If you fire them in season, you' have zero confidence in them.

Personally I think TC is going to step out on his own. As FOC said, he had a good run - and he proved all the haters wrong about his ability to handle a clubhouse.
    Its not how I see it. Its what it is.

If he's not retiring and they're not mutually parting ways, they're firing him. Not extending him a new contract is basically saying his services are no longer needed. If you want to hung up on trivialities, fine, but there are a lot of ways to present something as something else.

Sometimes you're presented a circumstance where if you dont step out, we're going to step out for you.

Off-season Needs

Same thing as "getting laid off"

Chances are you weren't deemed valuable, and people get so offended or shocked that they're not worth anything, that they'll sue and make a stink. You're getting fired 90 percent of the time when you get laid off.

That's how I see it with Terry after the season.

Trimming the fat, but our PC America has gotta make it seem like you're still a "winner" even though you didn't make the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know FOC would be in support of this but I really think the Mets should bring back RA Dickey this offseason. They want cheap durability with relatively solid performance then a reunion of the two would make a ton of sense.

I know FOC would be in support of this but I really think the Mets should bring back RA Dickey this offseason. They want cheap durability with relatively solid performance then a reunion of the two would make a ton of sense.
    Always wondered whether his lack of post-Met success wasn't stadium related.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Ehh. The Braves park is absolute garbage so I would understand his numbers being inflated but his peripherals aren't very good either.

I would rather go after a Jaime, Chacin, Alex Cobb, Lynn, Nolasco, Tillman, etc. all are equally proven and can throw innings...not too interested in RA. Sorry, FoC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Ehh. The Braves park is absolute garbage so I would understand his numbers being inflated but his peripherals aren't very good either.

I would rather go after a Jaime, Chacin, Alex Cobb, Lynn, Nolasco, Tillman, etc. all are equally proven and can throw innings...not too interested in RA. Sorry, FoC.
    Yeah, well, we'll leave the light on for you.

Off-season Needs

C-???
    (I want us to target a plus defensive catcher with a bit of pop...key being defensive...but more useful than Rene at the dish)

1B-Dom Smith
    (His hard contact numbers and RBI production has been fantastic so far. I hope to see that continue in the bigs...not to mention having a plus rated defender at first is something that'll help out the rest of the infield)

2B-TJ/Flores
    (TJs contact ability makes him a plus hitter, Flores's pop makes him a plus hitter. I think they will prove to be adequate fielding second. Also Cecchini could be about on their level as a hitter as well...I like our depth here enough to not make this a priority in the offseason)

SS-Rosario
    (Not only are we going to have a lead off hitter for the first time in years, we are gonna have range and plus athletic ability at SS. The defense and speed alone makes this position feel safe. If he can consistently make contact with a bit of pop...we are gonna really appreciate this guy)

3B-???
    (I would like to see us sign a plus defender with a bit of pop here as well. A la Todd Frazier who just might go for a shorter contract. I'd love to pencil Flores into this spot and give second to TJ/Cecchini...but I'd have to see much more consistency fielding at third before I'd ever consider it. His bat would play there, but I want plus D here)

LF- Cespedes
    (Plus D...I'm assuming he comes into ST in much better shape...and we all know what he's capable of at the plate)

CF-Lagares/Nimmo
    (Plus defense from Lagares, and a rangy young goofy guy that could be fun to watch in Nimmo......also, they're two players I've really enjoyed watching, so I want them to stay. I'd understand it if we went through FA here though)

RF-Conforto
    (Plus defense in right and our best hitter)

I guess we could have Flores and TDA slotted into C and 3B, but that weakens our overall defense and TDA is not reliable at all in terms of staying healthy. If we locate and sign two plus defenders at 3B and C...our team will look entirely different defensively next year.

Last edited by n8ghee; 07-29-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Off-season Needs

I want to see Nimmo/Plawecki/Cecchini all get a bunch of ABs and playing time in August/September. We have to have a good idea of whether or not we see any value (even as bench players, which is most likely the case) in these guys moving forward.

Also want to see Flores get plenty of time at third to see if he can gain confidence in his arm. He's got the glove/hands and footwork (range isn't super important at the hot corner). He NEEDS to be able to make that throw to first every time though...if he's ever to be considered the everyday 3Bman, which looks doubtful.

((Also when rosters expand, I wouldn't mind seeing Taijeron getting a call up as well to see if he has any potential as a 5th OFer with pop off the bench. And Guillorme, to see if he will be our Middle Infield defensive reserve))

All this stuff excites me. Of course, id rather us be in it this year...but watching young guys and figuring out their value is very entertaining to me.

Last edited by n8ghee; 07-29-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    I want to see Nimmo/Plawecki/Cecchini all get a bunch of ABs and playing time in August/September. We have to have a good idea of whether or not we see any value (even as bench players, which is most likely the case) in these guys moving forward.

Also want to see Flores get plenty of time at third to see if he can gain confidence in his arm. He's got the glove/hands and footwork (range isn't super important at the hot corner). He NEEDS to be able to make that throw to first every time though...if he's ever to be considered the everyday 3Bman, which looks doubtful.

((Also when rosters expand, I wouldn't mind seeing Taijeron getting a call up as well to see if he has any potential as a 5th OFer with pop off the bench. And Guillorme, to see if he will be our Middle Infield defensive reserve))

All this stuff excites me. Of course, id rather us be in it this year...but watching young guys and figuring out their value is very entertaining to me.

I have seen enough of Plawecki. I they want to give him some ABs down the stretch this season, fine, but he has proven that he is not a major league caliber player. He has had multiple opportunities over the past three seasons and he continues to show that he just can't hit.

In terms of Flores, I definitely want him to stay on the team and I would be fine letting him be the primary 3B down the stretch this season, but he isn't magically going to be become a good defensive 3B. Ever since he came up he has shown that he is not a very good defensive player. From what I've seen from him this year at 3B, he simply cannot make that throw across the diamond consistently, and he's not great with the glove either.

IMO, the Mets #1 priority this offseason needs to be a third baseman. They cannot afford what they had happen this year, which is terrible defensive play on the left side of the infield. Rosario will fix 1/2 the problem, but the Mets need a real 3B who can make strong throws and tough plays consistently.

Flores would be much better suited at 2B than 3B. I doubt Walker will be back so I would be open to letting Flores/Rivera compete for the 2B job next year.

I know this isn't going to happen, but if the Mets got somebody like Machado to play 3B, it would completely change the landscape of the NL. We would become one of the top 3 teams in the league and we may actually be able to compete with the Nats.

Off-season Needs

Quote Originally Posted by JRollins Hater View Post
    I have seen enough of Plawecki. I they want to give him some ABs down the stretch this season, fine, but he has proven that he is not a major league caliber player. He has had multiple opportunities over the past three seasons and he continues to show that he just can't hit.

In terms of Flores, I definitely want him to stay on the team and I would be fine letting him be the primary 3B down the stretch this season, but he isn't magically going to be become a good defensive 3B. Ever since he came up he has shown that he is not a very good defensive player. From what I've seen from him this year at 3B, he simply cannot make that throw across the diamond consistently, and he's not great with the glove either.

IMO, the Mets #1 priority this offseason needs to be a third baseman. They cannot afford what they had happen this year, which is terrible defensive play on the left side of the infield. Rosario will fix 1/2 the problem, but the Mets need a real 3B who can make strong throws and tough plays consistently.

Flores would be much better suited at 2B than 3B. I doubt Walker will be back so I would be open to letting Flores/Rivera compete for the 2B job next year.

I know this isn't going to happen, but if the Mets got somebody like Machado to play 3B, it would completely change the landscape of the NL. We would become one of the top 3 teams in the league and we may actually be able to compete with the Nats.
    ....or Arenado....one of those two would be absolutely amazing at third. Not to mention their bats! They'd be perfect for us. No doubt.

No one has hated on Plawecki more than me. I can't stand him. He has shown zero confidence at the plate in the bigs, ever. But...he's produced at every single level of the minors. If we are ever gonna give him another shot...even as being a potential backup...now is the time, when our record doesn't matter. If he were to somehow gain confidence and relax at the plate, he could end up being a solid backup.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    ....or Arenado....one of those two would be absolutely amazing at third. Not to mention their bats! They'd be perfect for us. No doubt.

No one has hated on Plawecki more than me. I can't stand him. He has shown zero confidence at the plate in the bigs, ever. But...he's produced at every single level of the minors. If we are ever gonna give him another shot...even as being a potential backup...now is the time, when our record doesn't matter. If he were to somehow gain confidence and relax at the plate, he could end up being a solid backup.

Yeah although I don't see any reason that the Rockies would trade Arneado. From what I have heard the Orioles may actually be shopping Machado this offseason. Moustakas would also be a great fit.

I'd personally rather give the at-bats to d'Arnaud and see how he pans out over an entire season. Although I've also lost the faith I had in him 2 years ago, he has at least proven that he can hit major league pitching. I just don't see any future with Plawecki as a major league starter.

Quote Originally Posted by JRollins Hater View Post
    Yeah although I don't see any reason that the Rockies would trade Arneado. From what I have heard the Orioles may actually be shopping Machado this offseason. Moustakas would also be a great fit.

I'd personally rather give the at-bats to d'Arnaud and see how he pans out over an entire season. Although I've also lost the faith I had in him 2 years ago, he has at least proven that he can hit major league pitching. I just don't see any future with Plawecki as a major league starter.
    I thought machado and and Arenado were nearing FA...

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast