Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 200 of 200 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200
Results 2,986 to 2,990 of 2990
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Nut_8 View Post
    All I was saying about Verlander was as of now we have no one able to throw a complete game or even eight innings to hand it off to Davis. Verlander waited until the last minute to wave his no trade to Houston because he wanted to come to the Cubs. Just think he would have been nice to have after Jake goes bye bye.
    It wasn't a lack of trying by the Cubs, it was a lack of prospect currency that's the principle reason for JV not being in Chicago.

------

Heyward isn't waiving his no-trade especially with his opt-out clause coming up after the 2018 season. What's the motivation for him for waiving a no-trade clause again? Only way Jason leaves Chicago is if he has such a great season in 2018 that he believes he can get equal or better contract on the market than what he would have left on his Cubs contract. Which means Heyward is here for the duration. That's the facts. Any if you could get Heyward to waive his no trade clause, the Cubs would likely have to take a bad contract in return, so what's the point in that?
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Heyward isn't waiving his no-trade especially with his opt-out clause coming up after the 2018 season. What's the motivation for him for waiving a no-trade clause again? Only way Jason leaves Chicago is if he has such a great season in 2018 that he believes he can get equal or better contract on the market than what he would have left on his Cubs contract. Which means Heyward is here for the duration. That's the facts. Any if you could get Heyward to waive his no trade clause, the Cubs would likely have to take a bad contract in return, so what's the point in that?
    He might waive it if they tell him heís going to play a lot less in 2018 and beyond. The point in a bad contract swap is maybe you get help at a higher need position, or cut a year or two off the back end of the contract. I think there is basically zero chance that he ever opts out because he wonít get that same money again.

I was pumped about the Heyward signing. It just hasnít worked out. He hasnít been the same guy since getting here. Maybe heíd be open to a fresh start somewhere else. Iím sure heís more frustrated than we are with how he has hit as a Cub.

At the end of the day, he canít be guaranteed a roster spot and a starting role for the next 6 years because of the contract. He needs to play better, or not play for the Cubs. Lots of bad contracts have been eaten or traded, and plenty of players with NTCís have been traded. He needs to play a lot better in 2018 or they need to find a way to upgrade his position.

There will be some ďleakedĒ video of him taking swings in a cage in December . And a few dimwits will praise him for it. And next year at this time the term Ďsunk costí will finally start getting thrown around.
    He ainít going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    There will be some ďleakedĒ video of him taking swings in a cage in December . And a few dimwits will praise him for it. And next year at this time the term Ďsunk costí will finally start getting thrown around.
    He ainít going nowhere.
    He is a sunk cost, but that doesnít mean heís not going anywhere. Iíd bet a lot that heís not going to finish his contract with the Cubs. Itís just a matter of how soon they can make something happen. Itís obviously a really difficult contract to trade, but that type of deal has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    It wasn't a lack of trying by the Cubs, it was a lack of prospect currency that's the principle reason for JV not being in Chicago.

------

Eh, I don't know. I don't think it was the prospects, as it was the money involved. He went for 3 prospects and Detroit paying 8 million in 18 and 19. If the Cubs would have taken the entire contract it would have taken even less prospects. Detroit would have probably even taken Schwarber and still paid 8 million each year. The fact that Verlander went thru waivers though says the Cubs were hesitant to get him, or they would have at least put a claim on him. Nobody could have seen him pitch this well though, and there is no guarantee he will pitch well those last two seasons, which is why he cleared waivers in the first place.

I think the Cubs definitely could have gotten him, but I can see why they didn't, and I'm sure they have plans in the offseason of where money is going to go and to who, and didn't want to spend it on Verlander. It's easy for people to say they should have gotten him, but he was a gamble and is no guarantee he won't be awful those last two years.