Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091
Results 1,351 to 1,359 of 1359
    Verlander replacing arrieta in this rotation for the next couple years... sure why not. He was a 6.6 war pitcher just last year. If he doesn't cost a bunch with us just taking on money then why the heck not. We got the money use it

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Yelich fits a need for this team... good bat with obp can lead off.. decent defense. Lots of control

I'm not opposed to dealing schwarber and almora for him and Ramos

BUT I will say... if you trade schwarber you damn well better be positive you can seal the deal with Harper. That power productive corner bat is needed. Especially when we all know we love to bash Heyward for his production woes (which I don't feel that way per say but let's not argue that now please)

Yelich is a huge WANT (not a need) for me.
    I'd love to get Yelich too. But with Fernandez gone I would think Florida would want an elite pitching prospect as the headline return piece. Plus Schwarber and Yelich are both under team control for four more years. So Florida isn't gaining anything in terms of long term cost control.

Now if you're willing to build a package around Happ, instead of Schwarber, I think the odds of a match increase at least a bit. Happ replacing Schwarber gives Florida two more years of team control (as well as a lower floor).

If you're willing to wait until next trade deadline I suppose one of the two first round pitching selections could be included too. If not for the Trea Turner inspired rule change both would be good PTBNL's right now.

I really don't want verlander unless we're only paying half his salary and give up no one from the ML roster and to me that seems unlikely. If we pay his whole salary it prohibits us from making better deals in the future and to me it's only a marginal gain this year. It might help us next year, but now we lack flexibility in FA, for let's face it a possible HOF, but he's old lol. How much good baseball does he have left? If we're giving up ML players like Baez, schwarber, or Haap and not paying his whole salary, to me that's even worse. If we can get him for half his salary and give up some combination of candy, caratini and some pitching prospects then ok slam dunk. Maybe throw in Almora. I just think the Tigers could get more then that, but who knows.

I think r SP is going to be great already in the 2nd half and we have 4 solid pitchers to use in the playoffs. To me no need to make a trade for JV, unless the deal is just too good to pass up. Nothing wrong w kicking the tires on it, but I'd bet a lot of money it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    I really don't want verlander unless we're only paying half his salary and give up no one from the ML roster and to me that seems unlikely. If we pay his whole salary it prohibits us from making better deals in the future and to me it's only a marginal gain this year. It might help us next year, but now we lack flexibility in FA, for let's face it a possible HOF, but he's old lol. How much good baseball does he have left? If we're giving up ML players like Baez, schwarber, or Haap and not paying his whole salary, to me that's even worse. If we can get him for half his salary and give up some combination of candy, caratini and some pitching prospects then ok slam dunk. Maybe throw in Almora. I just think the Tigers could get more then that, but who knows.

I think r SP is going to be great already in the 2nd half and we have 4 solid pitchers to use in the playoffs. To me no need to make a trade for JV, unless the deal is just too good to pass up. Nothing wrong w kicking the tires on it, but I'd bet a lot of money it doesn't happen.
    By getting Q the Cubs give themselves some flexibility on salary. If they took all of JV's salary they will be in for $37M for 2 starters next year. That is not awful. And JV is only one year removed from being second in the Cy. Let's not count him as garbage just yet. If the Cubs took his entire salary I do not even think you lose guys like Caratini and Candy. I think it is less than that. While some teams can offer better prospects possibly none of them can take on his entire salary. And if Lackey is bad today, IMO, Verlander would be more than a little upgrade. I feel he can be very good from this point to the rest of the season. I do agree with you that I would not want anyone from the major league roster going for JV. I would rather take his salary.

But maybe I'm completely wrong and I'm letting his age blind me. Some pitchers age well, he's still throwing hard, I never saw him as a guy who would age gracefully tho. If they trade schwarber for him, I might cry.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    By getting Q the Cubs give themselves some flexibility on salary. If they took all of JV's salary they will be in for $37M for 2 starters next year. That is not awful. And JV is only one year removed from being second in the Cy. Let's not count him as garbage just yet. If the Cubs took his entire salary I do not even think you lose guys like Caratini and Candy. I think it is less than that. While some teams can offer better prospects possibly none of them can take on his entire salary. And if Lackey is bad today, IMO, Verlander would be more than a little upgrade. I feel he can be very good from this point to the rest of the season. I do agree with you that I would not want anyone from the major league roster going for JV. I would rather take his salary.
    Let me clarify my point I think JV is an upgrade over lackey regardless of how lackey pitches today (I do think he gives us a solid outing against a poor white six team tho). I just think JV's addition gives us only a slight upgrade if any in the playoffs (I think barring significant injuries were a lock in the division I hate to sound so cocky lol). I think most of JVs value would be in the next two years. Would you wna sign him during the offseason to that contract or would you rather give that money to someone else? That's all I'm saying, I could easily be totally wrong and JV kills it the next couple of years. That's why theo gets paid the big bucks lol.

2017 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 2.0: MLB Trade Dealine Edition

It doesn't seem the Tigers are willing to eat much of the contract, if any at all, so hopefully that part of JV with half of an Avila season combined with the already terrible JD Martinez deal won't cost an exuberant amount from the Cubs end.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    But maybe I'm completely wrong and I'm letting his age blind me. Some pitchers age well, he's still throwing hard, I never saw him as a guy who would age gracefully tho. If they trade schwarber for him, I might cry.
    Oh, hell no. Not Schwarber for JV no matter how much salary the Tigers take on. I am talking about guys like Paulina, Martinez, maybe another guy like Wilson etc... for JV and Avila and the Cubs take the full contract. JV can still be very solid. So IMO it is a decent upgrade to the rotation and he would not be a bad pitcher to have the next 2 or 3 years. The only issue is they would be paying too much. That is why Q is so valuable.

For the people saying we'll get Verlander, what's the playoff rotation?

Lester
    Quintana
    Hendricks
    Arrietta? Verlander?

Does Verlander go to the bullpen? If so, how do they use him. Set up guy? Or just a guy who's used in whatever high pressure situation comes up? Seems like a weird way to go.

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091