Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 1359
  1. #616
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    49,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    Verlander is 34 years old, owed 56 million after this season, is having a terrible season, and to top it all of has a lot of innings already on his arm. I'm sure teams are bending over backwards to give up quality prospects and eat all that contract

    Plus you completely ignored the fact that Detroit will be weak in the Outfield next season. And with their home park being so big having a rangy Outfielder would certainly have its benefits.
    The Tigers are almost certainly not looking to equal out their spending in a Verlander trade. They'll either: 1) retain money to get better prospects, or 2) sell on Verlander's contract in order to gain financial flexibility. There's very little reason for them to consider a Heyward/Verlander swap. Truthfully? I would not like that trade in the least for the Cubs. Verlander is 34, and SP's always come with a major caveat of injury, especially with age. Heyward's still a useful MLB player even with his bat struggling. I'd rather keep Heyward over Verlander.
    1st Place...the only place that matters


  2. #617
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The Tigers are almost certainly not looking to equal out their spending in a Verlander trade. They'll either: 1) retain money to get better prospects, or 2) sell on Verlander's contract in order to gain financial flexibility. There's very little reason for them to consider a Heyward/Verlander swap. Truthfully? I would not like that trade in the least for the Cubs. Verlander is 34, and SP's always come with a major caveat of injury, especially with age. Heyward's still a useful MLB player even with his bat struggling. I'd rather keep Heyward over Verlander.
    Plus, his bat is nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. Last year he was broken at the plate, this year he's getting his groove back. He isn't prime Heyward at the dish but 2 DL stints certainly haven't helped things.

  3. #618
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,599
    I actually think Heyward will play to his contract. He has looked much better at the plate this year. I can see him getting back to his career norms. He is actually not walking as much right now. But, long term I am fine with Heyward. And would not want Verlander back for him with the premise it is a bad contract for a bad contract. However, if the Tigers ate $20M total of Verlander's remaining contract I would consider dealing for him. At $18M a year the next 2 that puts him in the same spot as Samardzjia. Depending on who cost less in the way of minor league talent or young roster talent (Almora, Happ) , I would consider either. I think a determination of if the Cubs need another starter will be what Lackey does tomorrow and his other starts to the deadline. If he pitches well the Cubs will wait to address another starter in the off season. If not, IMO they will get someone else at the deadline.

  4. #619
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,599
    I think if Lackey is ok at the 5th starter and the Cubs decide not stay with the pitchers they have, next off season is going to be very interesting. If they want to keep Monty in the pen they need 2 starters. Of course, one can come via FA, but then the other through a trade. I think the Cubs are going to have to decide which young player they want to deal to get another pitcher. IMO the only guys I wouldn't consider are Rizzo, Bryant and Contreras. After that any of Schwarber, Happ, Almora, Baez, or Russell can be dealt and he team would still be very solid. I feel any can bring back at least a MOR starter who has a 3 years of control left, or a young starter not quite established yet. It just depends on what the Cubs want to do. I think I would like to see a FA pitcher (whether they go high end with Darvish or Cueto, or go MOR for Lynn or Cobb, or bring Arrieta back) and they deal for a young pitcher breaking into a rotation. Someone like Snell or several other options, for one of the Cubs young hitters.

  5. #620
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,288
    JHey has a full NTC through the first 3 years of his contract so he's not getting traded anytime soon.
    .

  6. #621
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,673
    Quintana now 49-14 in his career when receiving 3 runs or more of support

  7. #622
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    10,345
    How would you react if Happ+ was traded for Gray? What would you give up for Terhren?
    #FreeYags #FreeGato #FreeCubsstuckinstl #FreeCubbieSteve.


    "I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme" Isn't a Jeffy a cigarette?

  8. #623
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,599
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    How would you react if Happ+ was traded for Gray? What would you give up for Terhren?
    I think if this was done in the offseason I would be okay with it. I also would be fine with Happ for Teheran in the off season. I am hoping they do not need to make another trade for a pitcher at this deadline. If Lackey shows he has something left his next 3 starts they may not have to get another pitcher now.

  9. #624
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,313

    2017 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 2.0: MLB Trade Dealine Edition

    I honestly think Happ is more untouchable with his versatility than Russell, Baez or Schwarber. I think on totem of willingness to trade I put -

    1) Baez
    2) Russell
    3) Schwarber
    4) Happ

    And that's only because you trade one of the first two and the other one just winds up playing every day. Happ can slide to second and Zobrist turns into a real platoon type player at this point in his career.

  10. #625
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    2,566
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    How would you react if Happ+ was traded for Gray? What would you give up for Terhren?
    I would hate either deal.
    Screw sabermetics.

  11. #626
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I would hate either deal.
    I think in the offseason the Cubs are going to have to make a determination on the young guys on the roster and trade at least one of Almora, Happ, Russell, Schwarber or Baez. I am fine with that provided it brings back a pitcher. I would like to see then sign a FA pitcher and trade for another. Then put Monty in the pen or use him in the trade for the pitcher

  12. #627
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    49,703
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    I honestly think Happ is more untouchable with his versatility than Russell, Baez or Schwarber. I think on totem of willingness to trade I put -

    1) Baez
    2) Russell
    3) Schwarber
    4) Happ

    And that's only because you trade one of the first two and the other one just winds up playing every day. Happ can slide to second and Zobrist turns into a real platoon type player at this point in his career.
    He's not. He's easily one of the top-2 or 3 tradable assets we have. He's got issues with his bat that are being overshined right now. Plus, it's a little silly to say "Happ is untouchable because of his versatility" and then put Baez on the top of there...who's incredibly versatile at even more premium positions.

    Happ/Baez/Schwarber may all be dealt. Russell, out of those 4, is the least.
    1st Place...the only place that matters


  13. #628
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,673
    I don't think the Cubs need to trade any of the young guys now. I really like what we have and the Cubs can open the bank for Darvish or any number of pitchers.

    Bryce Harper isn't coming here. The Cubs aren't going to get into a bidding war with the Yankees and these players follow the money (don't blame them)

    I think a Darvish type, a right handed ace that can be had in free agency, is the final piece to the puzzle. And yes I'd rather have Darvish than Gray and Teheran. Unless a Stroman is available I don't consider trading any of the young guys now.

  14. #629
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    I honestly think Happ is more untouchable with his versatility than Russell, Baez or Schwarber. I think on totem of willingness to trade I put -

    1) Baez
    2) Russell
    3) Schwarber
    4) Happ

    And that's only because you trade one of the first two and the other one just winds up playing every day. Happ can slide to second and Zobrist turns into a real platoon type player at this point in his career.
    He's not. He's easily one of the top-2 or 3 tradable assets we have. He's got issues with his bat that are being overshined right now. Plus, it's a little silly to say "Happ is untouchable because of his versatility" and then put Baez on the top of there...who's incredibly versatile at even more premium positions.

    Happ/Baez/Schwarber may all be dealt. Russell, out of those 4, is the least.

    Bruh. I said WILLINGNESS to trade. For me. I didn't say anything bout their tradable value or how they're assets. They're all assets. I just said you trade one of the middle infield guys because the other one slides right in and provides incredibly similar value.

  15. #630
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    49,703
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    Bruh. I said WILLINGNESS to trade. For me. I didn't say anything bout their tradable value or how they're assets. They're all assets. I just said you trade one of the middle infield guys because the other one slides right in and provides incredibly similar value.
    I understand what you said, it's just strange to say the Cubs aren't willing to trade Happ who's versatile, but then list Baez as the most willing...who's also...just as versatile. I totally get you're point, I disagree with it fully. Russell won't be going anywhere. Baez, Happ, Schwarber? Maybe in the right deal. I also don't like the idea of trading Russel and having Baez be the fulltime SS. I think people are highly underrating Russell's defense.

    Truthfully, I don't see any of them dealt right now. Maybe in the offseason.
    1st Place...the only place that matters


Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •