Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I hate feeling like I'd see a completely different season from some players/teams if the league didn't juice the balls this year. It's such a weird coincidence that so many pitchers are having soft injuries like blisters etc and so many no names are having career years. I mean Travis ****ing shaw really?? Moustakas surpasses career HR for a season in 1/2 this year? So many "great" stories this year
    Lackey wouldn't be totally worthless I'm sure of it

Quote Originally Posted by CubsInBuffalo View Post
    Someone explain to me why Hendricks And jakes velocity has dropped significantly over only 8 months. I was watching game 6 of the World Series again last week and Jake hit 97 twice. Why the rapid lack of velocity? It sure isn't age.
    Hendricks hasn't pitched since June 4. He has only made 11 starts all season. Give him a bit more time

Nightendale has the Cubs as one of the main teams chasing David Phelps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Nightendale has the Cubs as one of the main teams chasing David Phelps.
    Sounds like they are in on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD3 View Post
    Am I the only one here that would like to send Hendricks packing? His decreased velocity (which was already decreased) is inching dangerously close to Jered Weaver territory, and I am pretty sure that no one wants to go there. I would love to package Hendricks (Cubs will never do it) for another controllable (less heralded) arm. Gausman? Aaron Sanchez? I fear that Hendricks' value is about to descend rapidly. I am more than willing to be talked off of this ledge.
    He pitched 5 perfect innings tonight, no hits and no walks. Let's give him a chance!

I want to; I really do. If he can do so with an 86 mph fastball, then he is more special than any of us might have thought.
    Romans 12:21

I want to; I really do. If he can do so with an 86 mph fastball, then he is more special than any of us might have thought.
    He's been really good for 2.5 years at 88 mph. I also wouldn't assume that he'll top out at 86 mph this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    He's been really good for 2.5 years at 88 mph. I also wouldn't assume that he'll top out at 86 mph this year.
    I certainly hope that he doesn't, and all indications are that the long postseason might have affected some, if not most, of the Cubs staff. That said, he has been down considerably this year in pitch speed, and his first rehab start (according to reports) had him topping out at the aforementioned 86 mph. Contrary to what some might think, I am rooting for him.
    Romans 12:21

I certainly hope that he doesn't, and all indications are that the long postseason might have affected some, if not most, of the Cubs staff. That said, he has been down considerably this year in pitch speed, and his first rehab start (according to reports) had him topping out at the aforementioned 86 mph. Contrary to what some might think, I am rooting for him.
    The "long post season effected the staff" thing I think is just conjecture. Lackey got old, Arrieta was showing signs of wear last year and Hendricks had a strained muscle in his hand. More than likely? It's just the luck catching up...the Cubs only had 5 players make starts for them last year. That's a miracle.

He probably did top out at 86 in his first start in a full month. But that's 2 mph off where he sat last year. That's more than likely just being rusty.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The "long post season effected the staff" thing I think is just conjecture. Lackey got old, Arrieta was showing signs of wear last year and Hendricks had a strained muscle in his hand. More than likely? It's just the luck catching up...the Cubs only had 5 players make starts for them last year. That's a miracle.

He probably did top out at 86 in his first start in a full month. But that's 2 mph off where he sat last year. That's more than likely just being rusty.
    Matusz

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Matusz
    Did he make a start? I guess I blanked that out. Probably for good reason. I know none of our SP hit the DL at any point last year.

He just threw a perfect game tonight in 5 innings, who gives a damn if he tops out at 88 or 86. Is there really that big of a difference between 88 and 86 with the movement he gets on pitches? Last year he had some of his worst games when he was hitting 90 with his fastball. Worry about outs not the friggin radar gun with a guy who throws slow anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    He just threw a perfect game tonight in 5 innings, who gives a damn if he tops out at 88 or 86. Is there really that big of a difference between 88 and 86 with the movement he gets on pitches? Last year he had some of his worst games when he was hitting 90 with his fastball. Worry about outs not the friggin radar gun with a guy who throws slow anyway.
    Actually...yes. That is a real concern. There's a threshold where movement can't beat lowered velocity. Hendricks is skirting that line at 88mph, but has elite control, a plus change and can survive well. But at 86mph there should be a high concern.

If he's topping out at 86mph, even if he throws 5 perfect innings...it's against AA hitters and Kyle Hendricks was a top-10 MLB pitcher last year. He's just going to dominate them period. For him to have MLB success, he really needs to be around 88mph consistently.

I'm not worried. I think he'll be fine, the velo will be back...but 86mph is a real concern if that's all he's going to hit (he was sitting at 87mph average tonight so it seems like thats not the case).

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Did he make a start? I guess I blanked that out. Probably for good reason. I know none of our SP hit the DL at any point last year.
    He made the start that made Theo go in the clubhouse and apologize to the team for effing around when the 6 or so game lead was slipping a little

The MPH does matter. I know it's not the only factor, but I think part of the reason his homeruns have gone up as much is because he's throwing 2 MPH less than last year. He's got very little margin for error to begin with.