Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ilstubirds View Post
    I was bored. Tell me how far off I am on these:

Alex Avila & Justin Wilson for Albert Almora, Mark Zagunis, Jen-ho Tseng, & Dillon Maples
    Jeff Samardzija & cash considerations for Justin Grimm, Jeimer Candelario & Adbert Alzolay
    I think the Tigers say no and the Giants say yes but personally I don't like either of those trades. Here's why...

Your playoff rotation this year is set. Lester, Q, Jake, Kyle.

Even though some have pointed out that it isn't that bad, jeffs contract doesn't interest me at all.

I also don't want much time taken away from Willson. He should be in there every playoff game.

The more and more I analyze the options, I think going after Britton makes the most sense. You don't need another SP until next year. If Sonny gray isn't as expensive as I think, sure, get him and put Kyle in the pen in the playoffs. That secures your rotation for the next 3 years and it keeps it super cheap if you want to make a run at Harper/Machado. But I'm not giving up Kyle, Addison, Javy or the obvious guys like Bryant Rizzo and Willson. Happ, +, + or forget it.

Britton gives you insurance if we can't sign Davis next year. That's a huge plus. It also gives you an absolutely dominant pen this year. Talking about shrinking games. Koji, CJ, Britton, Wade is the best 6-9 in the league.
    That's not even mentioning Monty, Strop and Duensing that have all had solid years.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Probably not enough for either deal but I don't really want any part of the trades anyway. Avila is good but why take time away from Contreras? As for Samardzija, well, we can do better imo.
    I really hope they do not need to make a move for another starting pitcher until next off season. That is the biggest reason I am against the Samardzija option. And as for Wilson, if Lackey can be a decent #5 starter and Hendricks comes back healthy the Cubs can just have Monty in the pen. For those reasons I do not like either deal. IMO all they need to do now is look for a back up catcher (cheap) and go with what they have. Unless, of course, they want to look at Yelich. That changes things and has them dealing guys on the roster. But he would be a nice fit in center and leading off. I just do not know if that is needed, and what it will do to the clubhouse to lose a core player.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I really hope they do not need to make a move for another starting pitcher until next off season. That is the biggest reason I am against the Samardzija option. And as for Wilson, if Lackey can be a decent #5 starter and Hendricks comes back healthy the Cubs can just have Monty in the pen. For those reasons I do not like either deal. IMO all they need to do now is look for a back up catcher (cheap) and go with what they have. Unless, of course, they want to look at Yelich. That changes things and has them dealing guys on the roster. But he would be a nice fit in center and leading off. I just do not know if that is needed, and what it will do to the clubhouse to lose a core player.
    I don't get why Caratini can't be a backup catcher or why they need an upgrade, if Montero hadn't been exploited so bad, I imagine he'd still have the job so I don't get the problem. But okay fine if the Cubs think they need someone better, whatever. I just don't get the point in not giving Contereras as many games at catcher as possible right now which is why I don't get the interest in Avila whose far from a backup. I agree that the offense is probably the primary concern and would dig it if they just went after the best non-1B bat they can. If it means moving Bryant into the outfield I'm cool with that too. I think it's also important to keep in mind he's probably not as stretched out as would be ideal.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 07-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

if Montero hadn't been exploited so bad
    Mmmmmmmmmm....what's that now?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/886957168586620929

Agreed they won't get that but you're not getting Hand for cheap or even a fair price it seems.
    Exactly. They want at least one top prospect for a team...its not going to happen IMO

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmm....what's that now?
    As in had he not gotten run on so bad in that game, he would probably still be on the team. He wouldn't have had the meltdown and he would still have average backup catcher performance and thus his replacement wouldn't have ever been necessary.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

I don't get why Caratini can't be a backup catcher or why they need an upgrade, if Montero hadn't been exploited so bad, I imagine he'd still have the job so I don't get the problem. But okay fine if the Cubs think they need someone better, whatever. I just don't get the point in not giving Contereras as many games at catcher as possible right now which is why I don't get the interest in Avila whose far from a backup. I agree that the offense is probably the primary concern and would dig it if they just went after the best non-1B bat they can. If it means moving Bryant into the outfield I'm cool with that too. I think it's also important to keep in mind he's probably not as stretched out as would be ideal.
    I am not suggesting Avila. I would be happy with a guy who frames pitches well and controls the running game when he plays, maybe 3 times every 2 weeks. As for the offense, all I am suggesting is if they get someone I want that person to be young with several more years of control, like the guys they already have. But they do not really have to do anything, IMO.

Am I the only one here that would like to send Hendricks packing? His decreased velocity (which was already decreased) is inching dangerously close to Jered Weaver territory, and I am pretty sure that no one wants to go there. I would love to package Hendricks (Cubs will never do it) for another controllable (less heralded) arm. Gausman? Aaron Sanchez? I fear that Hendricks' value is about to descend rapidly. I am more than willing to be talked off of this ledge.
    Romans 12:21

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD3 View Post
    Am I the only one here that would like to send Hendricks packing? His decreased velocity (which was already decreased) is inching dangerously close to Jered Weaver territory, and I am pretty sure that no one wants to go there. I would love to package Hendricks (Cubs will never do it) for another controllable (less heralded) arm. Gausman? Aaron Sanchez? I fear that Hendricks' value is about to descend rapidly. I am more than willing to be talked off of this ledge.
    He led the majors in ERA last season, third in cy young voting. He pitched one of the best games in team history to get us to the WS. He lost a few mph early this season but he doesn't depend on velocity and it's quite possible he could get that few mph back. He was not bad at all until he had his current injury issue. He currently makes less than 1 mil. How can you want to give up on him now?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD3 View Post
    You're probably the only one here now but before last season, there was a few posters who suggested doing it, I think mostly in packages for guys like Yelich.

Everyone is probably super nervous to see the latest velo readings and hoping to hell he's back to 88ish. The hand issue certainly has to be taken into account.

BUT THIS GUY CLINCHED THE NL PENNANT AND DOMINATED GAME 7 UNTIL CUTESY JOE EMERGED.

Motha****a, you CRAZY

packaged for Gausman

I think I might have to walk off the ledge after hearing that.

No disrespect, Bobby. You coo

I had a feeling that suggestion might trigger some responses. Can a guy who tops out at 86 mph have the same kind of success that he had when he was hitting 90? Not only do I not think so, but I am eager to learn of other recent starters who have enjoyed success with that kind of diminished velocity. I am not trying to be a contrarian, and I am hopeful that Hendricks can reclaim some of those lost "ticks", but color me skeptical on that wish. We shall see, and always know that I do understand the flammable responses that just ensued.

I like Gausman, but this board likes Gausman more than his family does.

Are people going to propose Schwarber trades every time the Cubs are rumored to like a player?

Britton would be a great fit. He's been injured and hasn't been dominating this year, plus the contract is significant. I think it would be much closer to the Wade Davis trade than the Andrew Miller one. It would be a nice alternative to have him in 2018 rather than a long term deal for Davis.

The Cubs are blowing up the farm to get team-controlled quality starters. I really doubt they would trade one away in Kyle Hendricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gausman / Oriole-era Arietta comps are likely fueling this interest, and while we will (very likely) not trade Hendricks, the prospect of getting a struggling MLB-ready arm back in a package intrigues me. Britton is more likely (although the thought of losing Almora pains me), and there are a lot more trade scenarios that have already happened that can help us assess what might need to go to Baltimore in that prescribed deal. Hendricks scares me, and in the right offer, I would be interested in selling his LOW velocity HIGH.

Someone explain to me why Hendricks And jakes velocity has dropped significantly over only 8 months. I was watching game 6 of the World Series again last week and Jake hit 97 twice. Why the rapid lack of velocity? It sure isn't age.

I hate feeling like I'd see a completely different season from some players/teams if the league didn't juice the balls this year. It's such a weird coincidence that so many pitchers are having soft injuries like blisters etc and so many no names are having career years. I mean Travis ****ing shaw really?? Moustakas surpasses career HR for a season in 1/2 this year? So many "great" stories this year