2017 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 2.0: MLB Trade Dealine Edition

2017 Cubs/MLB Free Agent/Trade Idea Thread 2.0
    2017 MLB Trade Deadline Edition

Notable Players linked to Cubs:
    A's P Sonny Gray
    Tigers P Justin Verlander
    Tigers C Alex Avila
    Rays P Chris Archer
    White Sox P Jose Quintana: Acquired by CHC for Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, Matt Rose and Bryant Flete
    Marlins P David Phelps: Acquired by SEA 7/20

FA/Trade Thread 1.0 = http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...7#post31447497
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 07-20-2017 at 07:34 PM.

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Piggybacking off last post of 1st thread:

#FlyTheW

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Piggybacking off last post of 1st thread:

oh fuuuuuuuuuck that

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

It could be a first half aberration or he could be playing hurt or any number of things but Donaldson's taken quite the step back this year. He's also turning 32 this year and has only one more year on his deal.

If the Cardinals wanna gut their farm for the next half decade to get likely past his prime Josh Donaldson, I'm not losing much of any sleep.

Also did I miss something - when were we connected by anything more than forum fodder to Quintana?

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    It could be a first half aberration or he could be playing hurt or any number of things but Donaldson's taken quite the step back this year. He's also turning 32 this year and has only one more year on his deal.

If the Cardinals wanna gut their farm for the next half decade to get likely past his prime Josh Donaldson, I'm not losing much of any sleep.

Also did I miss something - when were we connected by anything more than forum fodder to Quintana?
    I've seen Rosenthal and Morosi mention more than once linking the Cubs and Quintana

#FlyTheW

I've seen Rosenthal and Morosi mention more than once linking the Cubs and Quintana
    Link? I read both of those guys (among others) weekly/almost daily and haven't seen that once.

I've seen them mention it and link us on the MLB Network channel. I watch it every morning and they've mentioned it quite a few times, although nothing recently

#FlyTheW

I've seen them mention it and link us on the MLB Network channel. I watch it every morning and they've mentioned it quite a few times, although nothing recently
    I just want to be sure we're on the same page here because this is literally the first time I've heard anyone suggest anything of substance with regard to the Cubs and Quintana.

To clarify, you're contending not one but two high profile MLB journalists have repeatedly mentioned the possibility of Quintana going to the Cubs on MLB Network but neither have, at any point since the season started (as far as Google shows), done the same in any published article nor tweet, despite the fact that both guys write daily/weekly articles and recaps, and tweet constantly?

Donaldson to the Cardinals doesn't bother me one bit. Go for it and let Weaver and Kelly lead the way.

Does Happ, Almora Jr., Candelario, and Cease get us Mallex Smith and Chris Archer?

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Donaldson to the Cardinals doesn't bother me one bit. Go for it and let Weaver and Kelly lead the way.

Does Happ, Almora Jr., Candelario, and Cease get us Mallex Smith and Chris Archer?
    I don't think so. I think Jimenez has to be involved. At least he would if I were the Rays GM.

I've wanted Archer for years and he's still my favorite target. If a package centered around Eloy and Happ gets it done then that's an easy choice for me. But the Rays are playing decent baseball and right in the hunt for a Wild Card. I don't think Archer is going anywhere this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I've wanted Archer for years and he's still my favorite target. If a package centered around Eloy and Happ gets it done then that's an easy choice for me. But the Rays are playing decent baseball and right in the hunt for a Wild Card. I don't think Archer is going anywhere this year.
    I meant Jimenez instead of Happ, not instead of Almora. Even I am not sure I would be happy to lose both Happ and Jimenez for Archer. But, like you said, I doubt he is available anyway.

2017 Cubs FA/Trade Thread 2.0: MLB Trade Dealine Edition

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I just want to be sure we're on the same page here because this is literally the first time I've heard anyone suggest anything of substance with regard to the Cubs and Quintana.

To clarify, you're contending not one but two high profile MLB journalists have repeatedly mentioned the possibility of Quintana going to the Cubs on MLB Network but neither have, at any point since the season started (as far as Google shows), done the same in any published article nor tweet, despite the fact that both guys write daily/weekly articles and recaps, and tweet constantly?
    Yes I'm saying I've seen them both on TV mention it at least a few times while on MLB Central, and when I'm saying nothing recently I mean within the last 2-3 weeks.

If you don't believe me that's fine. I've seen them mention it in the same conversation when also bringing up Gray, Archer, etc when talking about pitching available at the deadline

#FlyTheW

I've heard a lot of these people mention that Cole and Quintana would be great fits for the Cubs, but not that they are talking or that they are actually possibilities for the Cubs. It was basically "the Cubs need starting pitching and these are a couple good starters on the trade block."

The Jays have interesting options if they are open to trading everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The white sox aren't trading with the Cubs. Especially for a premier player.

Which is unfortunate. Because going back to last season, there wasn't a team that could have offered up more than the Cubs. That's why some organizations stay behind. I don't think theo would hesitate for a second to deal with the Cards or Sox if it made this team one step closer tomorrow than today.
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 07-05-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast