Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

My Proposed New Rule: Pitchers must face a minimum of 3 hitters

Baseball is getting ridiculous what with using 3 pitchers to get through an inning. Managers micro-managing for optimal matchups. Enough!

If a major league pitcher can't be trusted to get three outs, he shouldn't be a major league pitcher.

If baseball was really serious about speeding up the game they'd institute this change.

Also, after the count hits 3-2, the third straight foul off should be considered an out.

But baseball doesn't want to speed up the game. It needs the added time to sell ads.

*Edited*
    Thread title edited to avoid confusion since this is not an actual MLB Rule Change
    Last edited by Timmmahhh; 07-04-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

It also forces teams to really burn through their pen's though.

That being said, when you call a guy in from the pen, he shouldn't get more than a couple warm up pitches.
    If your calling a guy in, he needs to be ready to go the moment he steps on the field.
    Hitters aren't given a dozen warm-up swings.

And your proposed strike 3 on 3rd foul ball is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.220/.260/.382
    A-BOMBS: 8
    RBI:28

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Baseball is getting ridiculous what with using 3 pitchers to get through an inning. Managers micro-managing for optimal matchups. Enough!
    I don't know why this actually bothers fans.

I think the hate for longer games originated with media rhetoric -- though I don't blame them -- that needed to get their stories in by news deadlines (when newspapers mattered) and more importantly wanted to get home to their families at reasonable hours.

Otherwise, I want my team to win and if it's statistically more likely for a LHP to get a LH batter out, I'll wait.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Its part of strategy, its essential (ex. the LOOGY).

No, no, no, and no. Terrible ideas.

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

I think the hate for longer games originated with media rhetoric -- though I don't blame them -- that needed to get their stories in by news deadlines (when newspapers mattered) and more importantly wanted to get home to their families at reasonable hours.

Otherwise, I want my team to win and if it's statistically more likely for a LHP to get a LH batter out, I'll wait.
    **** the media and their deadlines. If they don't like their job they can find another one. Baseball comes first, baseball fans come second, media is a joke.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

It's not just a media thing. Its a culture and societal change from 30-40 years ago. We can have everything we want now almost instantaneously and its a product of the millennial generation. That's why everyone fasts forwards through commercials, uses Apple Pay, etc. There is no patience for people to sit through 4 hour marathons (200 days a year) and that's why MLB is attempting to address it.

You always talk about data and how the decision making progress goes, well MLB gets tons of data/feedback in regards to things of this nature. They are trying to find ways to make the game more appealing to a wider audience and obviously shortening the games would help.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

If a major league pitcher can't be trusted to get three outs, he shouldn't be a major league pitcher.

If baseball was really serious about speeding up the game they'd institute this change.

Also, after the count hits 3-2, the third straight foul off should be considered an out.

But baseball doesn't want to speed up the game. It needs the added time to sell ads.
    Baseball doesn't need to be sped up.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    It also forces teams to really burn through their pen's though.

That being said, when you call a guy in from the pen, he shouldn't get more than a couple warm up pitches.
    If your calling a guy in, he needs to be ready to go the moment he steps on the field.
    Hitters aren't given a dozen warm-up swings.
    I don't have a problem with a couple of warm up tosses. That's more so so they can get a feel for the mound, not a continuation of warming up.

And I'm not a fan of any of this. I am happy with the pace of the game, and don't want to see it changed. Let a manager blow through his bullpen if he likes.

Oh wow....I thought for sure it was a n00b poster that made this thread.

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It's not just a media thing. Its a culture and societal change from 30-40 years ago. We can have everything we want now almost instantaneously and its a product of the millennial generation. That's why everyone fasts forwards through commercials, uses Apple Pay, etc. There is no patience for people to sit through 4 hour marathons (200 days a year) and that's why MLB is attempting to address it.

You always talk about data and how the decision making progress goes, well MLB gets tons of data/feedback in regards to things of this nature. They are trying to find ways to make the game more appealing to a wider audience and obviously shortening the games would help.
    Do they? How and where? I never filled out a form. Have you?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    And I'm not a fan of any of this. I am happy with the pace of the game, and don't want to see it changed. Let a manager blow through his bullpen if he likes.

I don't like it because a manager has to use a starting pitcher or a position player if the game goes into extra innings.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    No, no, no, and no. Terrible ideas.
    ^^^

This
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast