Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Derek Carr close to $25 million per year extension

This would make Carr the highest paid QB in the league, as well as set the market for Kirk Cousins, as well as the upcoming FA QB class, which includes Drew Brees, Matt Stafford and Jimmy Garrapolo

The Oakland Raiders and Derek Carr are close to finalizing a deal expected to pay the star quarterback about $25 million per year, league sources told ESPN.

The contract is expected to be done soon, well before the training camp deadline Carr had given the Raiders, according to sources.

The sides still are finalizing language, but the deal could be announced as early as the end of this week. Once signed, Carr's new contract will make him the NFL's highest-paid player in terms of new money average, a source told ESPN's Dan Graziano. That new money in Carr's deal will average more per year than the amount given to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who currently tops the list at $24.6 million.

Carson Palmer's average annual salary in Arizona is $24.35 million; Drew Brees' is $24.25 million for New Orleans; and Kirk Cousins' is $23.9 million.

Cousins and the Washington Redskins are trying to get a long-term deal done by the July 17 franchise deadline.

Carr's deal could potentially be backloaded to save in taxes. The deal could be backloaded until the Raiders move to Las Vegas because there is no state tax there whereas California's tax rate is 13.3 percent. Carr could save hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.

Carr, 26, passed for 3,937 yards and 28 touchdowns with just six interceptions last season, helping lead the Raiders to their first postseason appearance since 2002. He suffered a broken fibula in Week 16 and missed Oakland's playoff loss to the Houston Texans, but he has been a full participant in the team's offseason activities.

Carr, speaking last week at the Raiders' minicamp, said he was happy to be "just playing ball again."

"The hardest part was taking the first rep, because the last rep you remember was like, 'Oh snap, I broke this thing,'" Carr said. "But as soon as the ball was snapped, it was a blessing. It kind of all went away."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...b-25m-annually

Doesn't deserve 2.5 million

-mgJohnson probably

It really isn't that much when you look at what other top tier QB's are being paid.

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    It really isn't that much when you look at what other top tier QB's are being paid.
    Like I said somewhere else as far as percentage of the cap it falls right in line with all the big contracts as they're happened the past years.

Has to be done. Not a ton to say about it I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

-mgJohnson probably
    He should be around $20M imo. He doesn't have nearly enough on his resume to command being the highest paid QB based on annual value. But that's the tricky situation about drafting a QB after the first round.... The 5th year option goes a long way to being able to determine the players value. Washington struggled with it with Kirk, Denver struggled with it with Brock, and Oakland is going to make him the highest paid QB based on the hope that he takes another step forward.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    He should be around $20M imo. He doesn't have nearly enough on his resume to command being the highest paid QB based on annual value. But that's the tricky situation about drafting a QB after the first round.... The 5th year option goes a long way to being able to determine the players value. Washington struggled with it with Kirk, Denver struggled with it with Brock, and Oakland is going to make him the highest paid QB based on the hope that he takes another step forward.

Unlike you Oakland is pretty confident he's their guy so I don't think they are too concerned about not getting a 5th year look. They lose a little cash though.

I'd also contend what you think it's 20 million worth is now the new 25 with the cap raises. He's still sitting right around the line set by Luck. Barely over the Flacco AAV. We're splitting hairs at that point. The value is set by the market. What will they pay. This is what they will pay. This is the line cousins and Winston...Mariota. They all are going to fall right on it. Do you hate Carr so much he should be paid less than them?

And if you're Oakland and you try that. Bubbye Carr. He's not gonna take 20-25% under market. He's proven he's worth as much as Luck. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. Unless you're just arguing everyone is overpaid which means nothing. IMO.

Like I said somewhere else as far as percentage of the cap it falls right in line with all the big contracts as they're happened the past years.

Has to be done. Not a ton to say about it I feel.
    I mean you've got Luck who is the Manning replacement and led his team to a couple division championships and a few playoff wins. You've got Wilson who has led his team to two Super Bowls and won one. Don't really need to explain Brees, Big Ben, or Rodgers. So that really just leaves Flacco which everyone pretty much is in agreement that was an overpay.

Those 6 plus Cousins are the seven highest paid QBs in the NFL. The only QBs that you can debate he's worth more than are Cousins and Flacco. There's just no merit to an argument to pay Carr that much money. Can you honestly say that Carr is as valuable to the Raiders as Rodgers was to the Packers in 2013? IDK.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while I understand that the percentages fall in line with all the big contracts that have happened in the past few years, I don't think he has the achievements necessary to give a giant contract to. Everyone in that bracket of contracts aside from Luck has won a Super Bowl. Carr hasn't even won the division much less a playoff game. It's a contract being given out based on what they hope he will be rather than what he has done.... That's the biggest difference imo.

I mean you've got Luck who is the Manning replacement and led his team to a couple division championships and a few playoff wins. You've got Wilson who has led his team to two Super Bowls and won one. Don't really need to explain Brees, Big Ben, or Rodgers. So that really just leaves Flacco which everyone pretty much is in agreement that was an overpay.

Those 6 plus Cousins are the seven highest paid QBs in the NFL. The only QBs that you can debate he's worth more than are Cousins and Flacco. There's just no merit to an argument to pay Carr that much money. Can you honestly say that Carr is as valuable to the Raiders as Rodgers was to the Packers in 2013? IDK.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while I understand that the percentages fall in line with all the big contracts that have happened in the past few years, I don't think he has the achievements necessary to give a giant contract to. Everyone in that bracket of contracts aside from Luck has won a Super Bowl. Carr hasn't even won the division much less a playoff game. It's a contract being given out based on what they hope he will be rather than what he has done.... That's the biggest difference imo.

Well you're in the minority.

And that last line is the majority of contracts. Those QBs you named had accomplished more team wise I suppose. I don't know if any were clearly better than what we just saw.

You're giving the dude a ton of flak for team accomplishments and he's on a team you swear is junk. Nobody said he's god and can take anyone anywhere. I mean last year at this time all you talked about was how he fell off the second half of the previous season. Then he played pretty damn well all year. Now he lost the division by tie break so he's overpaid or whatever. Seems reachy again.

Dollars to donuts 90 percent of people think he's right there with luck or better right now. You're just hyper-critical because of your raiders feelings.

Shouldn't you be happy he's being overpaid anyways?

Well you're in the minority.

And that last line is the majority of contracts. Those QBs you named had accomplished more team wise I suppose. I don't know if any were clearly better than what we just saw.

You're giving the dude a ton of flak for team accomplishments and he's on a team you swear is junk. Nobody said he's god and can take anyone anywhere. I mean last year at this time all you talked about was how he fell off the second half of the previous season. Then he played pretty damn well all year. Now he lost the division by tie break so he's overpaid or whatever. Seems reachy again.

Dollars to donuts 90 percent of people think he's right there with luck or better right now. You're just hyper-critical because of your raiders feelings.

Shouldn't you be happy he's being overpaid anyways?
    Yeah and I admitted he was good last year... Not against teams inside his division, but that's another argument. The team isn't junk.... But they aren't as good as people think they are. He benefits from 2 good receivers and one of the best offensive lines in the league.... Kinda the same as Dak.

I don't really see an argument to say he's better than Luck. Care to entertain me? Flacco he's better than and he's probably better than Cousins.... Not really an argument for anyone else on that list though. If you also believe that Stafford should be making $25M a year then then I'll agree.

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Ryan
    Big Ben
    Wilson
    Luck

Cam
    Dak
    Stafford
    Cousins
    Rivers

That first group of QBs are the ones who are clearly better than Carr right now imo. I think he fits somewhere in that second group. And my list isn't a ranking of QB's I'm specific order... Just who I think is clearly better, and who I think he is comparable to in terms of talent.

As for your last part, I'm thrilled they're about to pay him as much as they are. Hell give Carr $35M a year...I don't care. I just don't see what exactly he's done to deserve it. We are talking about a guy who is somewhere around 8th best at his position, and is about to be paid like he's the best.

He's only going to be paid the most because he's one of the first to get a contract with the new cap. When the others get a new contract they will be paid more. It's pretty obvious.

Are you just ignorant or stupid?

-mgJohnson probably
    Bwaahhhaaa!!!

Dude would be singing a completely different tune if Carr was wearing a Bronco jersey....

But yeah...Carr would just be a backup to Lynch and Siemien if he were with the Broncos anyways...so 2.5 million might be too rich for a backup qb.

-mgjohnson probably

Carr has shown improvement EVERY season. His stats show his growth. But since you are hypocritical about stats (unless they favor your opinion regarding denver) consider tze team went 12-3 with Carr. Consider that he is a team leader and a well respected leader amongst teammates. Carr is the future. He's one of the games best up and coming young QB's. Sure, he hasnt won a playoff game due to an unfortunate injury. He has however beaten playoff caliber teams and performs well under pressure. Since you care not for stats, I need not remindnyou of how many game winning drives Carr has lead during his young career. He's only going to mature as a professional. He was often involved in MVP chatter. Rightfully so. Pay him now or pay him later. The smart money is pay him now. Next year his value increases.

Yeah and I admitted he was good last year... Not against teams inside his division, but that's another argument. The team isn't junk.... But they aren't as good as people think they are. He benefits from 2 good receivers and one of the best offensive lines in the league.... Kinda the same as Dak.

I don't really see an argument to say he's better than Luck. Care to entertain me? Flacco he's better than and he's probably better than Cousins.... Not really an argument for anyone else on that list though. If you also believe that Stafford should be making $25M a year then then I'll agree.

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Ryan
    Big Ben
    Wilson
    Luck

Cam
    Dak
    Stafford
    Cousins
    Rivers

That first group of QBs are the ones who are clearly better than Carr right now imo. I think he fits somewhere in that second group. And my list isn't a ranking of QB's I'm specific order... Just who I think is clearly better, and who I think he is comparable to in terms of talent.

As for your last part, I'm thrilled they're about to pay him as much as they are. Hell give Carr $35M a year...I don't care. I just don't see what exactly he's done to deserve it. We are talking about a guy who is somewhere around 8th best at his position, and is about to be paid like he's the best.

Could've sworn the only team a Carr lead Raiders didn't beat were the chiefs. But yeah, hes plays terrible against the division. Did the Broncos beat a Carr lead Raiders team last season? No sir, they did not.

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    He's only going to be paid the most because he's one of the first to get a contract with the new cap. When the others get a new contract they will be paid more. It's pretty obvious.

Are you just ignorant or stupid?
    Dont offer such limitations...

D) All of the above

^ It should be an option.

I love Carr. I love the raiders. But I'm not a homer. I respect many players. I respect many teams and I respect many posters...

But some of the mods, well, I just cant take them seriously.

Straight to the point. Thanks for the laugh.

It's a dumb contract, but so is every QB contract anymore. 3 years from now it'll be in line with top 5-10 pay. I remember everyone *****ing about Cam getting 20M and now he's added MVP, conference champ, and All-pro to his resume and is only like the 10th highest paid now.

I just don't get teams not being smart with their approach anymore. You've got him coming off an injury, he's never won (or played in) a playoff game, there's a stacked team around him, and with the tag you've got him locked in to basically two seasons averaging like 15M/ season. Makes no sense to just be like "lol, here's top pay, enjoy!" Same thing with the Luck deal last year.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast