Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unprecedented offseason for New York Jets: Tank for a brighter future

the new york jets ended their offseason program on june 15. Heres a look at how they fared:

offseason goals/grade: after their sixth straight season out of the playoffs, the jets decided to tear it down and start a long, painful rebuild -- a radical approach. They executed the plan with conviction, stripping the roster of big names and big salaries. They dumped 11 veterans, including future ring-of-honor members david harris, nick mangold and darrelle revis. For the most part, they replaced the departed 11 with cheap free agents and unproven young players. Let's be clear: This is a tank job, and it's not hard to understand the motivation. If the jets land the no. 1 overall pick in 2018, they'll have their pick of what figures to be a strong quarterback class. They also will have $80 million in cap room next year. In the meantime, they'll have one of the worst rosters in the league. If we base a final grade on that, it would be a "d" or worse, but their plan must be evaluated from a big-picture standpoint because this is only phase one of a huge project.
    grade: C+.

move i liked: let's call it one move and one non-move, and they're tied together. Resisting the urge to reach for a quarterback in the first round, they made the right call by selecting safety jamal adams with the sixth overall pick. Quarterbacks deshaun watson and patrick mahomes were available, either of whom would've excited the fan base, but the last thing they needed was another developmental quarterback to join christian hackenberg and bryce petty. This season should be devoted to finding out if hackenberg can play. If he surprises them, great. If not, they'll have a high pick and can try to find that ever-elusive franchise quarterback in the draft. Sam darnold, anyone? As for adams, he's a terrific player with strong intangibles. In a year, he and leonard williams will be the faces of the defense.

move i didnt like: cutting harris and wide receiver eric decker in early june were short-sighted decisions. They saved nearly $14 million in payroll, making owner woody johnson happy, but they lost two well-respected veterans who would've helped the young players during the rebuilding process. Harris was the quarterback of the defense, decker the no. 1 receiver. The moves left a bitter taste in the locker room, sending a clear signal to the players that winning isn't the priority in 2017.

Iggest question still to be answered in training camp: With the jets, it's always about the quarterbacks. Technically, it's an open competition between josh mccown, hackenberg and petty. The expectation is that mccown, 37, even with his warts and durability issues, will emerge as the opening-day starter. He can manage a game, and that'll be enough to tilt this tepid competition in his favor. The real question is whether hackenberg, in his second year, can push mccown. It'll be a successful preseason if hackenberg plays well, narrows the gap and establishes himself as a viable alternative. Sheldon richardson's future also will be a hot topic. The jets have been shopping the defensive tackle since last fall.

salary-cap space: $24,423,566 (source: Overthecap.com)
    a look at what's happening around the new york jets:

1. Looking out for no. 1: they haven't said this publicly, but the jets' rebuilding plan focuses, in large part, on next year's quarterback-heavy draft. Owner woody johnson, always fixated on the quarterback position, is thinking big -- 2017 season, be damned.

The three prospects creating the most buzz are usc's sam darnold and ucla's josh rosen (both listed as 6-foot-4), along with wyoming's josh allen (6-foot-5). I spoke with an afc scout who has done extensive work on all three, and he shared his thoughts on the condition of anonymity. Keep in mind, they're draft-eligible underclassmen, so there's no guarantee they will turn pro. (see: Peyton manning, 1997.)

"it makes a whole lot of sense if they get a sam darnold to start their re-boot," the scout said of the jets' plan. "honestly, if they're pulling a cleveland browns, they can't go wrong with any one of these guys."

his thoughts on each quarterback:

darnold (career stats: 13 games, 67.2 completion percentage, 31 touchdowns, nine interceptions): "he's pretty much as advertised. He's extremely heady and smart. He's technically sound and very accurate. He sees the game and he sees the big picture. There's a poise about him that's uncommon. He just plays the game fast and smart. He won't have as many weapons this year, so that will be something to watch. ... I didn't (scout) deshaun watson, but i think he's a better prospect than (patrick) mahomes and (mitchell) trubisky. He doesn't have as good an arm as some guys, but he's accurate and has great instincts for the position."

rosen (19 games, 59.7 percentage, 33 touchdowns, 16 interceptions): "he's probably the most polished of all three. If you drew up a prototypical pocket passer in your head, it probably would come out looking like him. He has good mechanics and a smooth delivery. Good athleticism. He just makes plays. ... I'd say darnold is a better runner, but they're both very good athletes. Unfortunately, he got hurt last year (shoulder), so it'll be interesting to see how he comes back from that."

allen (15 games, 56.2 percentage, 28 touchdowns, 15 interceptions): "he's definitely not as far along as the other two, but he has freakish tools and size and arm strength. He makes flash plays that tell you he has nfl-starting ability. I'm glad he went back to school because he still has room to make another jump. The game will slow down for him and he'll become more of a passer. ... He has a lot of upside. I think he's similar to mahomes. Mahomes had more experience at a higher level, but this kid is bigger, faster and a better athlete."

2. What about christian hackenberg? the jets haven't given up on the former second-round pick, who is making some progress, but he's hardly a sure thing. From a scouting perspective, he doesn't have as much upside as darnold, rosen and allen.

Toward the end of last season, an unnamed jets assistant told espn's adam schefter that hackenberg "couldn't hit the ocean." the other day, new quarterbacks coach jeremy bates painted a different picture, saying, "i think he's real accurate. I think hes throwing the ball well. Hes throwing it on time. Part of accuracy is knowing where to go with the ball, and each day, he plays faster. He gets in a rhythm. And i think everyone in the building is excited to see where hes going. I think hes accurate.

unofficially, hackenberg completed about 60 percent of his passes in minicamp, but spring stats mean nothing. The first real test in aug. 12, the preseason opener.

3. History of top picks: judging from the comments on my twitter timeline, it seems like most jets fans are willing to suffer this season if it ensures a potential franchise quarterback in the draft. A word of warning, though: History tells us a high quarterback pick doesn't guarantee a championship.

of the 22 quarterbacks picked in the top five since 2000, only three have played in a super bowl -- cam newton, matt ryan and eli manning, the only one to win it. Moral of the story: you need an elite quarterback to contend, but it also takes a strong supporting cast.

4. Wide-receiver jinx: it's tough to be a jets receiver these days. Consider the rash of injuries that occurred during the offseason program: Devin smith (torn acl), ardarius stewart (thumb and groin surgery), quinton patton (foot surgery), chad hansen (knee) and quincy enunwa (shoulder/neck).

And let's not forget about the off-the-field issues: Jalin marshall (four-game ped suspension) and robby anderson (arrest).

Oh, yeah, one more: Their most accomplished receiver, eric decker, got fired.

5. Money matters: the jets still have an important piece of bookkeeping to address before the start of training camp -- jamal adams' contract.

Adams (no. 6 overall) is one of eight unsigned first-round picks, including four of the top six. Because of the rookie wage scale, it's uncommon for a contract dispute to extend into training camp, although we saw a long and nasty battle last summer between joey bosa (no. 4 overall) and the los angeles chargers. Eventually, adams will land a four-year deal for $22.3 million, fully guaranteed.

Adams doesn't seem concerned. He said he's looking forward to his first summer vacation since high school, with getaways to orlando and out west. He plans to work out daily, adding, "i'm always thinking about football."

6. A true sleeper: after a one-year exile in cleveland, demario davis is revitalized in mind and body. He dropped five pounds in the offseason (down to 240) and swears he's "much faster" than in previous years.

"i rebuilt my engine," said davis, the favorite to replace david harris at middle linebacker.

How'd he do that? He credited a "great diet" and a lot of sleep. He believes a proper amount of sleep helps the body recover faster. His nightly goal: 9 1/2 hours. Personally, i'd sign up for that.

7. Praise from a hall of famer: in his first interview since being hired, outside linebackers coach kevin greene expressed an affinity for rookie dylan donahue. He said donahue "is a hunter. He has a hunter's heart. That's what you need as a player, playing his position -- pass rusher. You have to continue to hunt the quarterback, and he has that. He's wild and he's on the edge, and i like that, too. It's all good."

donahue, a fifth-round pick from division ii west georgia, got quality reps in minicamp, working with the first-team nickel defense. Greene's praise notwithstanding, the jets won't know what they truly have in donahue until they begin contact practices and games. He's a high-motor player, and they tend to stand out in padless practices. The dynamic changes when they start hitting.

8. Breaking: jets will employ a fullback: They didn't have one last year in chan gailey's one-back system, but things will be different under new offensive coordinator johnny morton. Not only will they carry a fullback, but they expect him to be good. The candidates are julian howsare and anthony firkser, an undrafted rookie from harvard.

"i'm excited about that position," running backs coach stump mitchell said. "it will not be a deterrent, it will not be a letdown. Those guys will get the job done."
    espn

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I honestly think this may be the best off-season this franchise has ever had when all is said and done. And TBH hindsight won't change that. We have middled or overachieved for YEARS and despite every GM we ever had saying they want to build through the draft rarely have any of them stuck to it.

We are poised to have a top 3 pick, and over 80 million dollars in cap space with the youngest team in the NFL and already armed with some serious young talent. Time will tell if this will work but it is the ONLY way we will sustain a winning team and win a championship and not be a pretender. We finally got realistic about who we are.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    ^^^

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

This is what MikeyMac wanted to do when he got here, but it has set them up to have a top 3 pick if their QB situation turns awful. And you know what...that's ok. Because this is the best QB class since 2004.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The Jets can talk all they want about what they want to do: It starts by drafting better, something the Jets are not exactly the greatest at. Think about this stat for a second: From 2009-2014, prime years for an NFL Draft pick during that time, here are the following players on the roster, drafted by the Jets: DE Muhammad Wilkerson, RB Bilal Powell, LB Demario Davis (Who actually was acquired back from another team), DE Sheldon Richardson, RG Brian Winters, CB Dexter McDougle, and WR Quincy Enunwa. So in 40 draft picks, only 7 are still on the team (17.5% rate) and let's be realistic-- Richardson, Davis, McDougle could all very easily be gone by/at the end of the season.

Plus, 80 million is nice to have, but isn't that part of the reason we are in the shape we are right now, giving out big money contracts to players?

My problem this off-season with the NY Jets is that to me, they send too many mixed signals: If you are rebuilding, you aren't throwing over 20 million a year at Tony Jefferson and Donte Hightower. You don't throw 6 million + incentives at a 38 year old journeyman QB. Plus, how many years of 3-13 to 5-11 is Woody going to put up with before he starts big time spending again and/or trading picks away?
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

#TankForDarnold

if they dont get the number 1 in next years draft then it all was a waste

Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse:31705498
    LOL not even close to being correct. Some people are hilariously clueless.

I agree with the offseason plan. For anyone saying, "If you are tanking then why did they sign veterans for money" it seems pretty obvious to me. You can't just say,"Hey we suck and we're tanking". Look at the difference between the 6ers and the Mavs. 76ers tanked for 5 years but did not get in any trouble even though it was very obvious. Cuban however admitted that the Mavs did it, and only for a portion of a season, and he had people calling for suspensions and fines.

You can't make it obvious that you just don't care aside from developing young talent and its hard to develop young talent with zero vet leadership (which is why I would have thought twice about Harris)

Good offseason plan. Problem is, to do it right, they probably have to do it again next year. They have zero receiving corps, a shaky O line, unimpressive RB's, and I am not sold on the LB's, so QB is just one piece.

The only areas I am settled on are DL and Safety. You can rebuild LB's and Secondary through FA, but prime OL rarely make it to FA, and elite receivers who make it to FA brake the bank. So they have to commit to suck for at least 2 years to really rebuild through the draft- and make non sexy but very solid FA picks to bolster the LB's and Secondary, maybe a true #2 receiver and try to draft a QB and a #1 receiver over the next two years rather than more first round picks on an awful D

I know it's early and there is a lot of season left, so I won't get too far ahead of myself. But that performance by Rosen tonight, leading UCLA to a comeback win after being down 44-10 in the 3rd quarter was amazing. This kid is special.

Build for the Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    Agreed. Time to rebuild. Lose now, contend later!
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    Agreed. Time to rebuild. Lose now, contend later!
    So you are banking the future of the team on 1 pick? Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    So you are banking the future of the team on 1 pick? Smart
    It's been since 1968-1969. Yes I'll build through the draft.

You keep signing those free agents.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    It's been since 1968-1969. Yes I'll build through the draft.

You keep signing those free agents.

I don't think you read very well. I said bank on one pick.
    I have clearly stated that we should build through the draft. I have said it multiple times. I have gone as far as to say I would trade that number 1 pick for multiple first, second and third round picks so we have more opportunity to find young cost controlled players.
    I have said that we have a great deal of money net year. You use free agents to plug holes.

If you want to make a statement or claim to a actually know something about how I view the way a team should be built, you might actually want to learn to read a bit better so you can absorb what has been written.

To be clear
    1-Build through the draft
    2-If there are chances to acquire more picks by trading vets that have more value elsewhere, do so.
    3-If you have a chance to trade back and get more picks and still acquire a desired player, do so unless you love a player at that position. (Example- This years draft, if you have 4 QBS you like and are offered a ton of picks to move back and you will still be able to get one of the 4, do it. If you love one specific QB, take him with the pick)
    4-Develop young players and see who can stick as a starter or back up
    5-Find free agents who are young enough to stay with the team for a while or old enough to come cheap and who will mentor young players.

Do you understand?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast