Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 318
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    257
    What do the Yankees do with all that IFA cash now that Ohtani will sign elsewhere.

    http://pinstripedprospects.com/yanke...fa-cash-26493/

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    26,464
    According to Jonathan Mayo, the Yankees are “looking closely” at Cuban outfielder Julio Pablo Martinez and Dominican infielder Yunior Severino. This is obviously in response to suddenly having $3.5M in international bonus money to spend after getting rejected by Shohei Ohtani.
    Martinez, who Mayo says has a showcase scheduled for Friday, left Cuba earlier this month and is said to have been one of the top young players on the island. The 21-year-old hit .297/.345/.449 with seven homers and 20 steals in 57 games this past season. Here is a piece of Ben Badler’s scouting report:

    At around 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, Martinez is a lefty with a promising combination of power and speed … Based on his present ability, he’s probably ready to go to a high Class A or Double-A team.

    For what it’s worth, Eric Longenhagen said Martinez “profiles as a fringe regular who hits in the bottom of the lineup and plays a solid center field” back when he saw him in 2016. Martinez still must establish residency and be unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control before he can sign, but Badler says that should happen at some point before the 2017-18 international signing period ends June 15th.

    Severino, 18, is one of the 13 former Braves prospects who became a free agent after the team was punished by MLB for their international impropriety. He hit .270/.345/.420 (121 wRC+) with three homers in 58 rookie ball games this summer, during his pro debut. Here’s what Longenhagen had to say about Severino recently:

    Signed for $1.9 million out of the Dominican Republic, Severino is a switch-hitting middle infielder with surprising power for his size. Scouts think his long-term defensive home is second base and are skeptical about his long-term ability to make contact. He takes big, violent swings.

    Per MLB’s terms, Severino gets to keep his $1.9M bonus, and can receive a new bonus when he signs with a new team. Every penny over $200,000 will count against the hard cap, though teams can choose to apply it to next year’s hard cap space, if they choose. Severino and the other Braves prospects are free to sign starting tomorrow.

    It’s unclear whether the Yankees are interested in Kevin Maitan, the big name prospect no longer with the Braves, though I imagine they’ll check in. That $3.5M is a nice chunk of change. Now that Ohtani is off the table, expect the Yankees to invest that money in other international players, like Martinez and Severino and Maitan and others. They won’t let it go unused.
    https://riveraveblues.com/2017/12/ma...verino-163847/

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,719
    BA's top ten prospects for 2018:

    Yankees Top 10 Prospects
    1. Gleyber Torres, SS/3B
    2. Estevan Florial, OF
    3. Justus Sheffield, LHP
    4. Chance Adams, RHP
    5. Miguel Andujar, 3B
    6. Albert Abreu, RHP
    7. Jorge Guzman, RHP
    8. Luis Medina, RHP
    9. Thairo Estrada, SS/2B
    10. Domingo Acevedo, RHP

    Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...Gq3l3OG3MIt.99
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  4. #304
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    31,794
    Seems like we're very well stocked with good arms. Our big league staff right now is:

    Severino (under team control through the 2022 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 29 season)
    Tanaka (under team control through the 2020 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 32 season)
    Gray (under team control through the 2019 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 30 season)
    Montgomery (under team control through the 2023 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 31 season)
    (5th starter to be determined)

    Then in the bullpen we have Chapman for 4 years more. Warren and D-Rob for one more. Betances for 2 more. Kahnle for 3 more years.

    With all those prospects we should be able to get some long-term solutions as our already established pitchers hit FA.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Seems like we're very well stocked with good arms. Our big league staff right now is:

    Severino (under team control through the 2022 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 29 season)
    Tanaka (under team control through the 2020 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 32 season)
    Gray (under team control through the 2019 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 30 season)
    Montgomery (under team control through the 2023 season and then he hits FA heading into his age 31 season)
    (5th starter to be determined)

    Then in the bullpen we have Chapman for 4 years more. Warren and D-Rob for one more. Betances for 2 more. Kahnle for 3 more years.

    With all those prospects we should be able to get some long-term solutions as our already established pitchers hit FA.
    What? Have we become Oakland and have to worry when guys hit their FA years?

    The yanks still have the ability that if they want, they can easily extend/resign guys into their FA years. It's only guys Like CC who are old when they hit FA, that you need to worry about because thought they could, why would they?
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    31,794
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    What? Have we become Oakland and have to worry when guys hit their FA years?

    The yanks still have the ability that if they want, they can easily extend/resign guys into their FA years. It's only guys Like CC who are old when they hit FA, that you need to worry about because thought they could, why would they?
    We've become a team with a good farm system so hopefully we don't need to extend guys through their 30s because we should have younger replacements with more upside ready to go. So as the guys we have come up we aren't forced to re-sign them to deals that don't make good sense. Instead we can turn to our good farm system of arms. If they do make good sense though then we have the means to re-sign them. But guys like Tanaka, Gray, D-Rob, Warren, Betances I project to not be worth re-signing when they hit FA at the ages they're projected to do so and at the prices I expect them to command. But time will tell.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    23,181
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    BA's top ten prospects for 2018:

    Yankees Top 10 Prospects
    1. Gleyber Torres, SS/3B
    2. Estevan Florial, OF
    3. Justus Sheffield, LHP
    4. Chance Adams, RHP
    5. Miguel Andujar, 3B
    6. Albert Abreu, RHP
    7. Jorge Guzman, RHP
    8. Luis Medina, RHP
    9. Thairo Estrada, SS/2B
    10. Domingo Acevedo, RHP

    Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...Gq3l3OG3MIt.99
    Interesting they are now listen Torres as playing 3rd

    I hope they give Andujar some reps at 1rst. Get him some work there so he could DH, play a game or two at 3rd and give bird a day off from 1rst.

    That list is a really nice balance of pitching and fielding




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    5,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Interesting they are now listen Torres as playing 3rd

    I hope they give Andujar some reps at 1rst. Get him some work there so he could DH, play a game or two at 3rd and give bird a day off from 1rst.

    That list is a really nice balance of pitching and fielding
    yeah i found it odd they listed Torres as a 3rd baseman also. The only reason he got as many reps there last yr is because of how little production we were getting from 3rd last yr. Unless something really weird happens Didi should be our long term SS. To me Castro isn't our long term answer at 2nd and should be moved to 3rd this off season. Torres would be my choice for our long term 2nd baseman, he was way more comfortable there defensively and his bat plays way up there.

    I read the Yanks started giving Andujar reps at 1st at instructs. I would like to see him get reps at both 1st and 3rd next yr, his bat plays at both and we could use a better back up for Bird than Austin and Headley if he's still with the team next yr.

    Andujar is another reason a rotating DH for next yr is a better idea then having one full time DH IMO

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    23,181
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    yeah i found it odd they listed Torres as a 3rd baseman also. The only reason he got as many reps there last yr is because of how little production we were getting from 3rd last yr. Unless something really weird happens Didi should be our long term SS. To me Castro isn't our long term answer at 2nd and should be moved to 3rd this off season. Torres would be my choice for our long term 2nd baseman, he was way more comfortable there defensively and his bat plays way up there.

    I read the Yanks started giving Andujar reps at 1st at instructs. I would like to see him get reps at both 1st and 3rd next yr, his bat plays at both and we could use a better back up for Bird than Austin and Headley if he's still with the team next yr.

    Andujar is another reason a rotating DH for next yr is a better idea then having one full time DH IMO
    I agree on all points.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    26,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I agree on all points.
    Maybe.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    764
    Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats
    26m26 minutes ago

    Red Sox Stats Retweeted Brendan Kuty

    The #7 Yankees prospect. Most likely would rank #1 or #2 for the Sox right now, for perspective.

    when they say '' you never have enough pitching '' they are right

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    5,183
    Quote Originally Posted by pinstripezac View Post
    Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats
    26m26 minutes ago

    Red Sox Stats Retweeted Brendan Kuty

    The #7 Yankees prospect. Most likely would rank #1 or #2 for the Sox right now, for perspective.
    wow they sure have cleaned out that farm system through trades. After the Sale trade last yr we all thought the Sox were set up to be a dynasty while we were going to be stuck reduilding for a couple yr and praying we could sign 1 or both of Harper and Machado.
    12 months later our rebuild is complete, when Torres reaches the MLB which very well could be right out of ST we have arguably the best line up in baseball, the best pen, a top 10 rotation with 4 of the 5 members under 28 and a top 3 farm system with tons of assets to go out and acquire a top starter. Plus were going to be able to reset our luxury tax and have money to spend, if we want to next off season.

    The job Cashman and his staff, especially the player development guys has been nothing short of amazing

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,719
    ^^^ Dombrowski never saw a prospect he wouldn't trade! John Henry had to know this when he brought him on board.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  14. #314
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    257
    Is it time for the Yankees to give Adams a Chance?

    http://pinstripedprospects.com/new-y...otation-26591/

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    31,794
    IDK on Adams. I hope he excels. But just from the concerns I've read with him (despite the exceptional number) I wonder if he's ultimately going to end up in the bullpen like Warren or Chad Green. And honestly, I'd be fine with that. Warren is a FA after the year so that long reliever role could be open. And with D-Rob a FA we could need to make Green more of a short reliever as well. So even if Adams is stuck in that role there's still a huge opportunity to help us.

    Still, 5th starter is a big need right now. I hope we add a vet to make it the 6th starter that's the need (the guy who comes up after the inevitable injury) but that's still hugely important as well. Hopefully Adams can fill that role. That would be most ideal. I just remain skeptical based on the analysis I've read of him.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •