Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

NEW! 2017 Prospect Thread

I thought since this board is 2 years old Iíd make a new top 50 prospects list plus other categories. Mods if you want to move this thatís fine but just thought Iíd make a new one.
    If you disagree with my rankings that is fine thatís what baseball is about but letís get started:

1. Gleyber Torres (SS)- Gleyber is a kid that uses the whole field and has an amazing demeanor to him. At 20 years old the kid has power to all fields which is the most impressive about him. Gleyber right now is ready for the majors with his bat and defense at SS but still needs work at 3rd and 2nd. Gleyberís biggest tool is his hit tool that ranks 65 on a 20/80 scale. Has all the potential to be a number 2 hitter that is a 5 tool player. ETA:2017 Comp: Derek Jeter
    2. Clint Frazier(OF)- When Frazier is going right he is using his power to all fields. Frazierís swing at times can get to long and he will become pull happy and other times he becomes to patient where he will look at strike one and strike 2 without taking the bat off of his shoulder. Clint Frazierís biggest tool is his 60 power. If all goes right the Yankees will have their future 5 tool LF by Mid-season. ETA:2017 Comp: Marcell Ozuna
    3. Blake Rutherford(OF)- Rutherford is a kid that has an amazing feel for the game at such a young age. Blake is best when he is spraying line drives to the opposite side of the field. A kid that has 5 tool potential will probably move to a corner outfield spot as he rises. His biggest tool is a 60 hit tool. ETA:2019 Comp: Michael Brantley
    4. Justus Sheffield(LHP)- Justus has a huge arm for a 5í11 left handed pitcher with a fastball that sits 93-96 and can touch 98 is impressive. Heís Breaking ball is his second best pitch. While the change is third it has improved a lot over this past year. If everything clicks for Sheffield he could be a number 2 starter. ETA:2018 Comp: Johan Santana
    5. Chance Adams(RHP)- If you want to talk about a steal of a player look no further than Chance Adams. Adams has 4 pitches all of them he can throw for strikes. Adams best pitch is his fastball which sits 94-96 with a wipe out slider. His Changeup has really improved and now looks to be above average. Yankees canít wait to have Adams as a number 2 starter. Adams has all the tools to become a number 2 starter once given the chance. ETA:2017 Comp: Sonny Gray
    6. Miguel Andujar(3B)- Andujar has the makings of a 3B all-star. Some in the organization have called him the leader of the international players. Andujar is starting to learn how to use the whole field instead of pulling everything which has produced very good results. Andujarís best tool is his arm which grades as a 70. ETA:2018 Comp: Aramis Ramirez
    7. Dustin Fowler(OF)- Fowler is a legit 5 tool player and has the ability to stick up the middle in CF. Fowler really started to come on about 2 years ago and has not looked back now he is on the cusp of a call up to the majors. Fowlers best tools that all grade on a 60 are his speed, hit and fielding tool. ETA:2017 Comp: Grady Sizemore
    8. Estevan Florial(OF)- If we were doing just tools Florial would be top 3 in the organization. If it were not for him striking out 35% of the time he would be second on this list only to Torres. Florial has everything you want in a prospect 70 grades in fielding, arm and running. He hits the ball to all fields and for power. Florial has 30/30 potential. ETA:2019 Comp: Andruw Jones
    9. Tyler Wade(SS)- Wade is the most overlooked prospect in the Yankees farm due to the glut of middle infielders. Wadeís strike zone discipline is off the charts and heís a winner. Heís done everything the Yankees have asked him to do the make it this far. Wades best tools are his 60 hit, run and field tool. ETA: 2017 Comp: Ben Zobrist
    10. James Kaprielian(RHP)- Kap has the highest ceiling of any pitcher in the Yankees farm. Tommy John has dropped him from being ranked 4 on this list. Kap has 4 above average pitches and was hitting 99 as a starter in the pros. Kap has ace stuff but health will be the biggest factor in seeing if he can ever reach it. ETA:2019 Comp: Roy Halladay

11. Domingo Acevado(RHP)- Anyone who starts and can throw 103 mph with command has ACE potential. His changeup has come to be a 60 grade and the slider has become average. He will either be a number 1 or 2 starter or one of the best relievers in the game. ETA:2018 Comp: Gerrit Cole
    12. Jorge Mateo(SS)- He has really fallen off he just canít hit the high fastball and heís still trying to pull everything. The talent is still there and heís still just 21. Thereís no doubt that Mateo is fast and if he can ever get back to using the whole field he could be a 15 triple guy with 50 sbís. He also should be moved off SS. ETA:2019 Comp: Jose Reyes
    13. Albert Abreu(RHP)- Abreu has a huge arm with number 2 starter potential. This year heís really improved his control and his changeup giving him 3 above average pitches and one average one. Although he might end up in the bullpen the Yankees will give him every chance to start. ETA:2019 Comp: Carlos Carrasco
    14. Dillon Tate(RHP)- Tate has gone back to the mechanics that got him drafted 4th overall and theyíre paying off big time. Heís back to throwing 98mph with a sweeping slider. In extended spring training heís looked really good. I would be surprised when heís promoted if itís not to Tampa. He has number 2 starter potential but most likely he ends up being a number 3. ETA:2019 Comp: Roy Oswalt
    15. Wilkerman Garcia(SS)- Garcia has been one of the most impressive playerís in extended spring training. Heís been a defensive wizard in extend spring training and is back to driving the ball to all sides of the field. The kid is very mature and he told me he feels as good as ever. Iím expecting a huge year from Wilkerman. ETA:2020 Comp: Jose Ramirez
    16. Domingo German(RHP)- If German never needed Tommy John he would have eventually become a top 100 prospect and would have been on the Yankees right now. This kid has a 94-97 mph sinker that touches 99 with a filthy slider and probably the best changeup in the organization. He was called up in the wake of the CC injury and donít be surprised if he starts and never gives that spot up. ETA:2017 Comp: Marcus Stroman
    17. Tyler Austin(1B)- The former top prospect just flat out can rake. He uses all sides of the field but prefers to go to the opposite side. His Best tool is his 55 hit tool. He should be up soon. ETA:2017 Comp: Nick Castellanos
    18. Nolan Martinez(RHP)- Martinez is very young just 18 and a strong arm right now he sits at 90-92 and tops out at 95 with an insane spin rate. His curveball is also a plus pitch but he must work on his change to reach his number 3 starter potential. ETA: 2020 Comp: Andrew Cashner
    19. Ian Clarkin(LHP)- Clarkin has really good potential but he just cannot stay healthy and his command has suffered from it. He has number 4 starter potential but thereís a better chance he ends up in the bullpen. He has a very good Curveball that grades as a 60. ETA:2019 Comp: Rich Hill
    20. Nick Solak(2B)- Solak is an on base and hitting machine. His defense has improved some as well making him an average defensive second baseman. Someone will give him the chance to start but I just donít see an opening for the Yankees. ETA: 2018 Comp: Eric Sogard

21. Thario Estrada(INF)- The ultimate super utility guy and may be one of the best defenders at each position as well. The kid flat out rakes and has amazing strike zone discipline. Donít be surprised to see him up this year he is a flat out winner. ETA:2018 Comp: Brock Holt
    22. Zack Littell(RHP)- The strike throwing innings eater with great command. If he could add 2-3 mph he has number 2 potential but since he sits 90-92 mph his ceiling right now is only a 4 starter. ETA:2018 Comp: Wade Miley
    23. Dermis Garcia(3B)- When someone has a 70 power tool you have to find out about that player and Dermis has just that he has been making better contact in extended spring training this year and has started using the other side of the field when driving balls. Heís also working on improving his defense. His arm is a 60 tool so once he learns to pick it and gets better control of the strike zone WATCH OUT!!! ETA:2020 Comp: Miguel Sano
    24. Freicer Perez(RHP)- There is no denying that Perez has an awesome arm and is big 6í8 to be exact and he sits 94-97 and hitting 99. His slider and change have improved to average pitches but still have a ways to go. If worse comes to worse heís a very good reliever. ETA: 2019 Comp: Michael Pineda
    25. Drew Finley(RHP)- A fly ball pitcher with a very good curveball. He has good control which makes me think his ceiling could be a number 4 starter but more likely a number 5. ETA:2020 Comp: Josh Tomlin
    26. Taylor Widener(RHP)- Widener reminds everyone as a poor manís Chance Adams, his fastball sits between 93-97 and has touched 98 with a good slider but like Adams in the beginning he needs to work on his Changeup. If he can develop that changeup he could be a number 2 starter and be close to Chance Adams in terms of potential. ETA:2019 Comp: Sonny Gray
    27. Yefrey Ramirez(RHP)- Talk about an out of nowhere prospect a guy Yankees got in the minor league rule 5 draft and heís turned into a gem. His fastball sits 91-93 and has touch 95 with a good breaking ball and an above average changeup. ETA: 2018 Comp: Ian Kennedy
    28. Isaiah Gilliam(OF)- A big time power threat Gilliam has a 60 power tool and takes his walks heís the last part of that monster trio of an outfield in Charleston. Iíd like to see him stay in there a little more before making a huge leap on this list. ETA:2019 Comp: Jay Bruce
    29. Hoy Park(SS)- Hoy is a slap hitter that has really regressed defensively but picked it up with the bat. I have doubts that Hoy ever makes the majors but if he does it wonít be as a starter. ETA:2020 Comp: Munenori Kawasaki
    30. Giovanny Gallegos(RHP)- Gio is a reliever that has a hammer of a curveball and a good fastball that sits 93-95. He has potential to be a seventh inning guy. ETA:2017 Comp: Tyler Thornburg

Chris Gittens(1B)- Gittens is a bat first player and offers little no defense at this time but he is working on it. He has a 60 power tool that will help him hit 30 homeruns in the major. ETA:2019 Comp: Lucas Duda
    32. Leonardo Molina(OF)- Molina has some of the best tools in the system but he has yet to reach them yet. Every once in a while he goes on a run that makes you think he should be a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. Molinaís best tools are his 65 arm, speed and fielding. ETA:2020 Comp: Jackie Bradley JR
    33. Josh Rodgers(LHP)- Rodgers is a competitive starter on the mound that has number 3 potential. His fastball sits 91-93 and touches 94 rarely but he makes up for that with great command and better secondary pitches his curveball is nasty and his change is developing nicely. ETA:2018 Comp: Jeff Francis
    34. Brody Koerner(RHP)- Since being moved from the bullpen to the rotation he has made big strides and really hasnít walked anyone. He sits 92-94 and has a good breaking ball. The changeup still needs a lot of work. ETA:2019 Comp: Brandon Mccarthy
    35. Nelson Gomez(3B)- Gomez has been working hard in extended spring training on identifying the strike zone and trying to cut down on his long swing. Gomez has a 65 power tool that could help him put up monster power numbers in the majors if he can cut down on the swing and miss. Gomez looks primed for a big year. He has some of the biggest tools for third only behind Dermis Garcia. ETA:2020 Comp: Edwin Encarnacion
    36. Rony Garcia(RHP)- Garcia has a fastball that sits between 91-94 and an above average breaking ball with a developing changeup. Garcia has number 3 potential if his secondary pitches continue to progress. His command is good at such a young age so weíll see how he develops. ETA:2021 Comp: Collin Mchugh
    37. Luis Medina(RHP)- When youíre 18 and throw 95-98 and hit 101 youíre someone to keep an eye on and thatís exactly what Medina can do his control has gotten better since heís signed but still has a long ways to go. Heís working on a change and a slider. Some within the organization see him as the Next Luis Severino with his demeanor and arm talent. ETA:2021 Comp: Luis Severino
    38. Jorge Guzman(RHP)- Probably the hardest thrower on the farm Guzman can hit 103 on the regular the only problem with that is he canít control it. If he can ever get his command in order we could be looking at the next great bullpen piece for the Yankees. ETA:2020 Comp: Joel Zumaya
    39. Daniel Alvarez(RHP)- Alvarez is on the rise his fastball sits between 93-95 and his slider is above average right now. Heís still working on his change and the pitch will depend on how high he rises on this list. Some within the organization believe Alvarez could become the next Danny Salazar. ETA:2020 Comp: Danny Salazar
    40. Billy Mckinney(OF)- Mckinney has struggled but the potential is still there as heís starting to pick it up. Mckinney will most likely be a fourth outfielder as he progresses. ETA:2018 Comp: David Peralta

Gilmael Troya(RHP)- Troya is very consistent doesnít have the loudest tools but he gets outs and wins. He has the potential as a number 4 starter so weíll see how much the Yankees like him depending on where he is placed. ETA:2021 Comp: Seth Lugo
    42. Juan Deleon(OF)- Yes That Deleon the star signing of the 2014 class. Once again if this was based just off of tools heís a top ten prospect for the Yankees. Heís got 55 tools across the board a true 5 tool talent. Heís been amazing in Extended Spring Training and looks like heís going to be a break out star this year and I wouldnít bet against him since heís finally healthy. People within the organization believe he could be the next Adam Jones with better defense. ETA:2020 Comp: Adam Jones
    43. Pablo Olivares(OF)- Ask anyone in the organization who the best defender is and theyíll tell you Olivares a true defensive superstar on defense his fielding tool is a 75. Heís a gap to gap hitter and heís starting to fill into his body a little bit. ETA:2020 Comp: Kevin Pillar
    44. Oswaldo Cabrera(SS)- Was probably pushed a bit but the tools are still insane I expect him to be dropped to Staten Island once the season starts. He can still square up any ball and once he fills out he could have 15 homerun potential. ETA:2020 Comp: Erick Aybar
    45. Mike Ford(1B)- Ford has been the best first baseman production wise up to this point. Heís a line drive hitter with average defense. He could probably hit between 12-15 homeruns yearly but will that be enough? ETA:2018 Comp: Brandon Belt
    46. Donny Sands(c )- Yes thatís right if we didnít have Sanchez we would be in huge trouble. Spoiler alert heís the only catcher to make this list. Heís nothing more than a backup at this point and heís barley ahead of Saul Torres for me and if Flames could stick behind the plate heíd probably be between the 30-35 part of this list. ETA:2020 Comp: John Ryan Murphy
    47. Luis Rijo(RHP)- Yankees are absolutely in love with this kid. Right now heís 18 and he sits between 90-92 with a 60 control tool. His changeup is really good for a young kid and his breaking ball is average. When he fills out he should add velocity and skyrocket boards. ETA:2021 Comp: Marco Estrada
    48. Ben Heller(RHP)- A reliever who has 7th or 8th inning potential. 95-98 mph. ETA:2017 Comp: Rafael Soriano
    49. Jonathan Amundaray(OF)- Another kid tearing it up in Extended Spring Training Amundaray has been crushing the ball and playing good defense. His arm is said to now be a 60 tool. This year will be a big year for him since he is coming stateside. ETA:2021 Comp: J.D Martinez
    50. Raymundo Moreno(OF)- Morenoís biggest tool is his speed which is a 65 grade. Moreno is said to have tweaked his approach last year which really helped his rise. He stole 17 of 20 bases last year and can play a good Center Field. ETA:2021 Comp: Jarrod Dyson

My Just Missed List
    1. Kyle holder- Heís basically Brenden Ryan
    2. Mason Williams- 4th outfielder having a down year and old
    3. Kyle Higashioka- His age hurt him on my list
    4. Detrich Enns- Injuries have hurt his stock
    5. Miguel Flames- Heíd be really high if he could catch but heís without a position
    DSL Sleepers
    1. Oswald Peraza(SS)
    2. Pedro Barrios(RHP)
    3. Jose Devers(SS) Redsox top prospects cousin
    4. Deivi Garcia(RHP)
    5. Roansy Contreras(RHP)
    6. Starlin Paulino(SS)
    7. Jesus Severino(OF)

You did all these write ups? That's pretty incredible.

I've only searched through the top 10 and while I think Frazier is likely higher on most rankings currently, I just have a sneaking feeling that Rutherford will end up being a better player. I've been pretty high on him.

I also for some reason just don't see Frazier fitting in long term in the Yankees plans. Something just screams trade bait to me.

The comp for Sheff seems off to me. Johan was certainly an ace and wasn't his change his best pitch by far?

thats just nit picking, this is pretty great stuff and taking a look at it just shows how deep of a system we currently have. It's a good time to be a Yankee fan!
    Yankees Farm System

Rutherford is a future hall of famer

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post

I've only searched through the top 10 and while I think Frazier is likely higher on most rankings currently, I just have a sneaking feeling that Rutherford will end up being a better player. I've been pretty high on him.

I also for some reason just don't see Frazier fitting in long term in the Yankees plans. Something just screams trade bait to me.

The comp for Sheff seems off to me. Johan was certainly an ace and wasn't his change his best pitch by far?

thats just nit picking, this is pretty great stuff and taking a look at it just shows how deep of a system we currently have. It's a good time to be a Yankee fan!

Yeah, Frazier seems to be an odd man out, at least right now. Fowler and Rutherford seem to be the guys spoken about more and more a part of the plan. It could also be that Frazier isn't lighting it up and therefore isn't being raved about like the others.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post

Yes I did and thank you. I also agree that our farm is strong. It's a good time to be a Yankees fan. The reason Rutherford didn't jump frazier is because the power isn't there yet. Sheffield reminds me in Johan with his fastball and slider but yes Johan had a 70 grade changeup.

Great write ups man, very insightful. The comps on some of them might be a little optomistic but if they reach there ceilings are close. Great time to be a Yankee fan, 2nd youngest avg age on the mlb roster, a ton of prospects that can contribute soon or be great trade pieces and after this yr under the luxury tax with money to spend. Only thing that concerns me is the rotation next yr

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Great write ups man, very insightful. The comps on some of them might be a little optomistic but if they reach there ceilings are close. Great time to be a Yankee fan, 2nd youngest avg age on the mlb roster, a ton of prospects that can contribute soon or be great trade pieces and after this yr under the luxury tax with money to spend. Only thing that concerns me is the rotation next yr
    Thank you man, I tried to mock there ceilings. I was going to do floors as well but that would have been rough lol. I agree it's amazing to be a Yankees fan right now. I think we really have some awesome Starters in the minors with Severino being a TOR arm. I think Acevado and Adams could be TOR arms we see this year with Sheffield not to far behind. I'm still indifferent on Monty cause I just don't know what to expect. But I'm extremely excited for Rookie ball to start and see where guys like all 3 Garcias, Gomez, Deleon, Medina and Amundaray have progressed. My biggest sleeper is Rijo so I'm hoping he can duplicate what he did last year.

Torres was removed from tonight's game with an injury to his left elbow from sliding into a base.

Sigh.

Cross gleyber off the call up list.

Great. Just as he was starting to hit well too

Torres is hitting .309 through 23 games with the RailRiders, including a 3-for-4 effort on Friday. He also has hits in nine of his past 10 games.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast