Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

2017 Trade Deadline

The Red Sox are among the contenders that have been scouting Royals lefthanded reliever Mike Minor, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

Minor has a 2.25 ERA with 33 strikeouts and nine walks in 32 innings; lefties are hitting just .125/.205/.175 against him. The Sox’ reported interest in him makes sense given the team’s apparent reluctance to use Fernando Abad as a high-leverage lefthanded option, something that has left Robby Scott as the team’s only lefty in a late-innings role – though one wonders if lefthander Jalen Beeks – against whom lefties hit .127/.200/.291 in Double A Portland prior to his promotion to Pawtucket – could emerge as a homegrown option in the same way that Scott did a year ago.
    Speier

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Speier
    Smith will be back soon and I'm really excited to see him pitch. Minor would cost us to much.

Royals look like an interesting trade partner. Could see us trading for Moustakas and Minor.

Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Royals look like an interesting trade partner. Could see us trading for Moustakas and Minor.
    That'd be a good depth move if we're giving up something - I'd hate to make another noteworthy trade for just a RP.

Does Moustakas play both corner infield spots?

Quote Originally Posted by RN4L View Post
    That'd be a good depth move if we're giving up something - I'd hate to make another noteworthy trade for just a RP.

Does Moustakas play both corner infield spots?
    He's a FA after this season just like Moreland. Defensively he's miles ahead of anything we've thrown out at 3B.

I would love a trade for Moustakas, and Minor. I'd rather hit the HR and grab Hosmer as well.

Yet here we are, with Sandoval having played in 158 games in a Red Sox uniform, totaling 617 plate appearances. The third baseman has hit a combined .236 with a .646 OPS, with his team having gone 73-85 when he has played. During that span, he has totaled a .192 batting average and .450 OPS against lefty pitchers. And those close and late situations he made a reputation on during that '14 World Series run? That's resulted in a .196 average and .557 OPS.

So, where do the Red Sox go from here when it comes to Sandoval?

The guess is that Farrell keeps picking his spots to find out if there is anything there. The Red Sox have a few weeks to figure this out, not wanting to reach outside the organization for something that might not very well be much of an upgrade at all. (See recently DFA'd Trevor Plouffe.) If things keep going down the path we witnessed Sandoval entrenched on Thursday night, than a move has to be made. Josh Rutledge and Deven Marrero can be valuable fill-ins, but they aren't most likely the hot corner solutions the Sox are ready to make a postseason run with.

And just a head's up: don't hold your breath waiting for a Mike Moustakas (18 homers, .887 OPS) acquisition. The Royals aren't going to deal the third baseman until they absolutely know winning isn't an option, and right now they are just four games out of first-place and have won five in a row. Maybe the Sox can take a flier on Chicago's Todd Frazier, who is mired in a Sandoval-esque season with a .206 batting average. He does, however, still hit home runs, as was evident the 40 he popped last season. And a righty power hitter in Fenway Park is always intriguing.
    weei.com

Not sure why we passed on Trevor. 3B has been horrible. I would give DD a gold medal if he got rid of Panda and got us a real 3B.

Is there a way to trade Pomeranz? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    Is there a way to trade Pomeranz? Please.
    Because of 1 bad start?

Pomerantz has been our 2nd best SP this year.

I honestly wouldn't trade any SP we need the depth

12. 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM
    Reason
    Insults

13. 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM
    Reason
    Insults

14. 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM
    Reason
    Insults

Remember when BSF101 gave us all false hope when he promised he would never come back to the Red Sox forum if we made the playoffs last year?

I 'member

16. 06-19-2017, 11:10 AM
    Reason
    Insults

Given the long-term uncertainty surrounding Brock Holt , the Red Sox may need to look not just at third base but more broadly at a versatile infielder capable of giving them options at third, second, and short. As much as the attention will focus on potential trade options such as Mike Moustakas or Todd Frazier, the Sox might have to consider more versatile players such as Jed Lowrie and Yangeris Solarte to offer depth at multiple positions.

In recent weeks, the Sox have started to look like a team capable of competing with any in the AL when they have their complete lineup. But the current absence of Pedroia serves as a reminder that they can’t count on that for the rest of the season. And with the depth shortcomings, that may recast what the Red Sox feel they need to do between now and July 31.
    Speier

I've always been a big Lowrie fan

Boston surged to the top of the American League East this week thanks in part to the Yankees' lengthy losing streak, but according to a source, the Red Sox are looking to make some major upgrades over the next six weeks, starting first and foremost with the hot corner.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/237931...picId=27118122

How Major? This is the question.

PAPI SMASH!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast