Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft 2017

MLB Draft 2017

The MLB draft is approaching, June 12 is near and we have the 5th pick this year. A couple of names have been tied to the Braves so far, the consensus top 5 is settle: RHP Kyle Wright, LHP/1B Brendan McKay, RHP Hunter Greene, SS/CF Royce Lewis and LHP Mckenzie Gore.

In most recent mock drafts by MLB.com, Baseball America, Minor League Ball etc has us taking:

High School LHP Mckenzie Gore
    High School RHP Shane Baz
    College OF Adam Haseley
    High School OF Austin Beck

If Gore gets to number 5 and we take him we will be drafting best player available according to "experts", but there's also a chance that we draft one of the 3 mentioned earlier or 1B/OF Nick Pratto to a cheaper deal and then use the savings on a high school pitcher in the second round, similar to what we did last year.

Haseley is the one with the most helium right now, a couple of months ago he wasn't even considered a top 50 prospect in this draft but he's having a terrific spring and showing a lot of power, most scouts have him as an above average hitter with above average speed to go along with average power and arm, he's playing CF now but it looks like he will need to move to a corner spot as a pro.

He reminds me about Benintendi who was a prospect that didn't come up on the radar until the last month before the draft. Haseley doesn't have the tools Benintendi did at the time but they look similar. 10-15 homers with good avg and 20 steals.

Beck has a higher ceiling but he was injured last year and there are some concerns about the hit tool and competition so far, he's a big power prospect though, he might become a 20-20 center fielder.

If I'm the Braves I'll take Gore at number 5 (or anyone of the consensus top 5, Lewis is the one I dislike more)but if they want to get creative and save some money to spend it later on a high school starter that slip on draft day I'll take Adam Haseley.

Thoughts?

I want Beck or Haseley but can live with Gore. I've seen talk we might pull a move like last year as well. Haseley is my number one choice though.

MLB Draft 2017

Some guy on the Braves Scout site said an MLB scout told him that Gore is unbelievable and compared him to Kershaw. I don't know about that but if he has regular ace stuff I'd take him. Not sure about super hero stuff lol.

3x WWEWHC / 2015 Royal Rumble Match Winner / 1X WWE Tag Team Champion / 2014 WWE Superstar of The Year

I've read that there are some scouts who thinks that Gore is better than Greene, he could be special.

Shanks is predicting Austin Beck at 5 for us and him getting an under slot deal. He said we've held private work outs with him. He went on to say we've met Hunter Green, Royce Lewis, Nick Pratt, and Shane Baz.... interesting no mention of Gore who the Braves have been linked to several times over the last few weeks.

Keith Law has us taking Royce Lewis..... I'd be fine with that assuming Green is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Keith Law has us taking Royce Lewis..... I'd be fine with that assuming Green is gone.
    I'm courious how he arranged the first 5.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I'm courious how he arranged the first 5.
    Wright, Hunter, Gore, McCay.... he also notes that we are in on Green, Gore, McCay, and Shane Baz. That's the 2nd report I've heard of us and Green, could there be some signability issues that cause Green to fall to us? I'd love it! It's also the 2nd report I've heard of us reaching for Baz and possibly signing him to an under slot deal.
    Last edited by SB75; 05-31-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Wright, Hunter, Gore, McCay.... he also notes that we are in on Green, Gore, McCay, and Shane Baz. That's the 2nd report I've heard of us and Green, could there be some signability issues that cause Green to fall to us? I'd love it! It's also the 2nd report I've heard of us reaching for Baz and possibly signing him to an under slot deal.
    Thanks, Lewis is probably the positional player with the highest ceiling so I'm ok with him, It looks like you can't go wrong if you take 1 of the consensus tops 5 players. Taking Baz could backfire and the draft isn't as deep in prep pitchers as it was last year, the strength of this draft is college pitching and those guys tend to go in the first round, taking Baz is extremely risky IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Thanks, Lewis is probably the positional player with the highest ceiling so I'm ok with him, It looks like you can't go wrong if you take 1 of the consensus tops 5 players. Taking Baz could backfire and the draft isn't as deep in prep pitchers as it was last year, the strength of this draft is college pitching and those guys tend to go in the first round, taking Baz is extremely risky IMO.
    As far as talent goes.... Green, Lewis, Beck, and Adell for me . But because baseball is that weird sport where top end talent sometimes never even makes it to the show because that organization can't develope it, Adele falls down the list and a guy like Gore rises. I agree Baz is a huge risk! However if the Braves think their farm has a better chance of developing him than they do whoever else is there at 5, hard to argue against that.

It seems as if Mocks are zeroing in on Royce Lewis for us and I'd be happy with that. I've seen a trend of Wright, Green, McKay,and Gore going 1-4. Noting that there is still a chance of us signing Beck or Baz to an under slot deal.

BA has the Braves taking Lewis. They also speculate the Braves trying to cut a deal at 5 and maybe looking to strike a deal with injured Stanford righty Tristan Beck at 41. That worked out pretty good for us last year so I'm cool with that approach again.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Shanks spoke with Callis a few days ago. Callis said he thinks Gore is the best player in the draft and will he gone before 5. He also said he thinks Wright goes 1 and more than likely Royce Lewis will be the one to fall to 5. He said there are 5 top prospects in this draft and the Braves are likely to take the best of the remaining 5. He did speculate the Braves could cut a deal with somebody like Adam Haseley as well.

MLB Draft 2017

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/235454466/louisvilles-brendan-mckay-favorite-to-go-1st/?topicid=151437456

Seems Callis is hearing rumblings about McKay going #1. I wonder if Wright falls to #5 if he's not the first pick?

3x WWEWHC / 2015 Royal Rumble Match Winner / 1X WWE Tag Team Champion / 2014 WWE Superstar of The Year

Could see Wright falling and we supposedly love him. Honestly if we get one of Wright, Gore, Lewis or McKay we are doing well. If we take Haseley we probably cut a deal and take Beck with the next pick.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast