Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 80
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Emmaus, PA
    Posts
    27,129
    Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    Ronnie Lott says he was and trust him over any poster claiming he never was but thought sub 6' was in the 6+ range so my bad but as it was eliminate Rice
    Timed speed takes precident over someone's word. It is tangible. We all know Rice played fast, but he is not near 4.2 or 4.3 speed. He was rarely caught from behind, but he also didn't separate over distance, which is what he would have done if he was as fast as you're claiming against 90s DBs.

    You don't even have to trust a "poster", Walsh and other evaluators have gone on record of what he timed through the process.

    So, as I've said, I easily pass on John Ross day in and day out in this draft when compared to his fellow draft classmates because his skill set is complimentary to a true #1

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    He's trying to compare a basketball player to a football player, as if there's zero prospects in the NFL he could have used, is It a shock he's out in left field?
    But Jerry Rice??? I guess go big or go home

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Timed speed takes precident over someone's word. It is tangible. We all know Rice played fast, but he is not near 4.2 or 4.3 speed. He was rarely caught from behind, but he also didn't separate over distance, which is what he would have done if he was as fast as you're claiming against 90s DBs.

    You don't even have to trust a "poster", Walsh and other evaluators have gone on record of what he timed through the process.

    So, as I've said, I easily pass on John Ross day in and day out in this draft when compared to his fellow draft classmates because his skill set is complimentary to a true #1
    What Rice had was great technique coming out of breaks and incredible stamina so he could "run away" late in games when the guys who had been chasing him all day were gassed.

    There was some great video of a retired Rice at a DB camp breaking down draft hopeful DBs. He certainly wasn't fast in his mid 40s, but he could still get separation. For a long long time I held on to Jim Brown as my #1 all time ... but it's been Jerry since he came back from a double knee at 36 and had a career like what got Swann in the hall (Look it up, after he was 36 Rice had 3 1000 yard seasons to Swann's 0 for his career, 45TDs to Swann's 53 for his career, 492 receptions to Swann's 336).

    Of course NONE of this has to do with the roster for this year

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    hoosierland
    Posts
    8,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    He's trying to compare a basketball player to a football player, as if there's zero prospects in the NFL he could have used, is It a shock he's out in left field?
    But Jerry Rice??? I guess go big or go home
    He also said the very best receiver to play the game and being somewhat of a homer myself, I naturally thought of Jerry Rice who is the gold standard for greatness at his position

    Yes I always go big!


    Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,387
    We need size at WR. Garcon and Goodwin would be great #2's and 3's with a beast outside. Goodwin has speed, Garcon is a good possession WR. We've lacked size since TO.

    The 2018 draft will have three WRs that fit our need. Courtland Sutton, Equanimeous St Brown and Simmie Cobbs. Cobbs has 211 yards in two games so far. He's looking good. I think Sutton would be my first choice but there's still a lot of football left.

    St Brown is a great route runner, has good hands/size. It would be a hard choice if the draft was tomorrow.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    We need size at WR. Garcon and Goodwin would be great #2's and 3's with a beast outside. Goodwin has speed, Garcon is a good possession WR. We've lacked size since TO.

    The 2018 draft will have three WRs that fit our need. Courtland Sutton, Equanimeous St Brown and Simmie Cobbs. Cobbs has 211 yards in two games so far. He's looking good. I think Sutton would be my first choice but there's still a lot of football left.

    St Brown is a great route runner, has good hands/size. It would be a hard choice if the draft was tomorrow.
    They've needed a WR for years, and haven't drafted a halfway decent one since Crabtree in 2009. They'll need to go heavy on offense next year, and possibly still have defensive holes (pass rusher, shutdown CB).
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

    PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    They've needed a WR for years, and haven't drafted a halfway decent one since Crabtree in 2009. They'll need to go heavy on offense next year, and possibly still have defensive holes (pass rusher, shutdown CB).
    It almost starts and ends with the QB position. If Cousins comes the first round pick should be BPA, if not then they need to trade whatever they need to to go get Kyle's QB. Everything else comes after that.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Emmaus, PA
    Posts
    27,129
    Rome wasn't built in a day. We have many assets to begin the process next off season. Could there still be holes? Sure, you can't guarantee everything you need will be there, but with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and probably the most cap space, I can't be anything but excited.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,529
    If we get Cousins or Garoppollo I'm going hard after a top FA WR to pair with them. GarÁon is already in place and, while he's very good on his own, he'd work best as a 1a. with a 1b. to compliment him, someone like Jeffery, Robinson, or even Davante Adams would fit well as bigger guys but can still run. Add in Goodwin and Trent Taylor and you have a good receiving core with a variety of skill sets. In the draft we could get a pass rusher in rd1 then work on the DB's and OL.

    ''Sig by Johnle''

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35:31870586
    Rome wasn't built in a day. We have many assets to begin the process next off season. Could there still be holes? Sure, you can't guarantee everything you need will be there, but with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and probably the most cap space, I can't be anything but excited.
    You're wrong. Lynch and Shanny should've already acquired a franchise QB, elite WR, elite pass rusher, and lock-down CB, they obviously don't want to win.

    ''Sig by Johnle''

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Timed speed takes precident over someone's word. It is tangible. We all know Rice played fast, but he is not near 4.2 or 4.3 speed. He was rarely caught from behind, but he also didn't separate over distance, which is what he would have done if he was as fast as you're claiming against 90s DBs.

    You don't even have to trust a "poster", Walsh and other evaluators have gone on record of what he timed through the process.

    So, as I've said, I easily pass on John Ross day in and day out in this draft when compared to his fellow draft classmates because his skill set is complimentary to a true #1
    There's a pretty good anecdotal story regarding this, but I don't know the other receiver of this story, but it has to do with Anquan Boldin's draft position. On film, he was a standout, but then the combine came, and this no-namer who had an awesome 40 time was impressive enough that a team took him before Boldin. For me, it's all the evidence you need; that 80-90% of player assessment is watching game film, the remaining 10-20% are multiple factors in which combine results is a small part, but also includes motivation, work ethic, character, intelligence, etc...
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

    PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    You're wrong. Lynch and Shanny should've already acquired a franchise QB, elite WR, elite pass rusher, and lock-down CB, they obviously don't want to win.
    They could've picked anyone. They chose Hoyer. Granted the 2018 QB class was/is better than the 2017 class, but DeShaun Watson just threw for 4 TD's and ran for 1, and gave New England all they could handle in their building.

    Their "elite" choice was Garcon. I'd say he's more of a #2. There were elite receiving options out there, they chose against it.

    Their elite pass rusher is Solomon Thomas.

    They ignored the lockdown CB spot, unless you think Witherspoon is that guy.

    So they head into 2018, needing the SAME things they needed in 2017. They still need a QB, WR, CB, Edge Rusher, and frankly, they could use an athletic TE and a RB.
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

    PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day. We have many assets to begin the process next off season. Could there still be holes? Sure, you can't guarantee everything you need will be there, but with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and probably the most cap space, I can't be anything but excited.

    Excited? There's no evidence to suggest it. They've had the cap space for 2 years now, maybe 3. Maybe it is 30-35 million for a QB that doesn't win playoff games. (cousins).

    They need to acquire offensive talent, and that means they have to hit on multiple draft picks early in the 2018 draft, which is possible, but not probable. Depends on the evaluation ability of John Lynch.
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

    PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Emmaus, PA
    Posts
    27,129
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    Excited? There's no evidence to suggest it. They've had the cap space for 2 years now, maybe 3. Maybe it is 30-35 million for a QB that doesn't win playoff games. (cousins).

    They need to acquire offensive talent, and that means they have to hit on multiple draft picks early in the 2018 draft, which is possible, but not probable. Depends on the evaluation ability of John Lynch.
    Dude, we get it. Everything sucks. You don't need to actively seek out old posts, we know how you feel.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    Posts
    12,901
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Dude, we get it. Everything sucks. You don't need to actively seek out old posts, we know how you feel.
    But you donít know how he feels after a win. Iíve never seen it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •