Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    The running back group is what intrigues me the most. We have alot of good guys in that position and not many of them have any trade value.

Carlos Hyde looks to be healthy and trimmed down. But he only has 1 year on his contract and has some young talent behind him. I don't think the niners give him a big pay day. We should try to trade him this year because I don't see him staying with the team next year.

Matt Breida looks like the real deal. He runs with power, speed, and can catch. He looks like our RB of the future.

Joe Williams hasn't impressed me too much. But he is a 4th rounder and 4th rounders do not get cut in their first season. He has shown speed, so looks like he can develop into a change of pace back.

Tim Hightower hasn't impressed so far, but also has not been given much opportunity. If they traded away Hyde, I would see Hightower being the solid vet to help the young guys grow.

Mostert has been impressive. He has played well as a RB, but also played great as special teams. He has no more practice squad eligibility. But he has incredible speed, both in special teams, running, and receiving... so he seems like he is versatile to stick around.

Then we have our FB, who doesn't figure to run the ball much, but I would include him in this group as well.

I think Hightower is as good as gone unless we trade away Hyde and I think Mostert is gone even though he has outplayed Williams because we just don't have the roster spots to keep him.
    Agree. I don't think Hyde will be a 49er in 2018 unless he really dominates this year. But if he dominates he'll be asking for a truckload of money so maybe he's gone either way. I think Shanahan would rather use two young RB's with fresh legs. Hyde is still young but he just hasn't shown that he's a Gore type cowbell. We could get Hydes production with any number of backs and Kyle likes using two backs anyway.

Williams doesn't seem to be "it". We'll probably use one of our third rounders on RB next year. All these draft picks kinda makes Hyde expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    The running back group is what intrigues me the most. We have alot of good guys in that position and not many of them have any trade value.

Carlos Hyde looks to be healthy and trimmed down. But he only has 1 year on his contract and has some young talent behind him. I don't think the niners give him a big pay day. We should try to trade him this year because I don't see him staying with the team next year.

Matt Breida looks like the real deal. He runs with power, speed, and can catch. He looks like our RB of the future.

Joe Williams hasn't impressed me too much. But he is a 4th rounder and 4th rounders do not get cut in their first season. He has shown speed, so looks like he can develop into a change of pace back.

Tim Hightower hasn't impressed so far, but also has not been given much opportunity. If they traded away Hyde, I would see Hightower being the solid vet to help the young guys grow.

Mostert has been impressive. He has played well as a RB, but also played great as special teams. He has no more practice squad eligibility. But he has incredible speed, both in special teams, running, and receiving... so he seems like he is versatile to stick around.

Then we have our FB, who doesn't figure to run the ball much, but I would include him in this group as well.

I think Hightower is as good as gone unless we trade away Hyde and I think Mostert is gone even though he has outplayed Williams because we just don't have the roster spots to keep him.
    Agree. I don't think Hyde will be a 49er in 2018 unless he really dominates this year. But if he dominates he'll be asking for a truckload of money so maybe he's gone either way. I think Shanahan would rather use two young RB's with fresh legs. Hyde is still young but he just hasn't shown that he's a Gore type cowbell. We could get Hydes production with any number of backs and Kyle likes using two backs anyway.

Williams doesn't seem to be "it". We'll probably use one of our third rounders on RB next year. All these draft picks kinda makes Hyde expendable.
    I don't see anything special with JW either and our RB group other than Hyde is boring and should have drafted my Kamara instead of Witherspoon in the 3rd cause his attributes would explode with the zone read offense. Saints were very smart to take him afterwards. There is nothing wrong drafting for excitement on the offensive side of the ball. And drafting John Ross would have given us the most exciting receiver in the draft but now the Bengals have the Green and Ross star show on their playoffs team that will be the rave while we have boring hopefuls but our defense will be exciting to watch them develop and grow . It just that we haven't had a star receiver since TO and this league is driven by star power to sell merchandise as well as to win games

Agree that Hyde will likely be traded, even during this season when teams are looking for improvements in their run game due to injuries, etc.

Go Niners!
    Last edited by eDush; 09-06-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    It just that we haven't had a star receiver since TO and this league is driven by star power to sell merchandise as well as to win games

Agree that Hyde will likely be traded, even during this season when teams are looking for improvements in their run game due to injuries, etc.
    Yeah, those Patriots are just full of high first round pick WRs.

I doubt Hyde will be traded, there just isn't enough behind him. I do think this may be his last year with the 49ers ... if he's bad he'll be gone, if he's great he'll probably be more expensive than they want to invest at RB.

I could buy Kamara in the 3rd, but Ross at pick 2 or 3 would have been a massive over reach, especially for the 3rd WR in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It just that we haven't had a star receiver since TO and this league is driven by star power to sell merchandise as well as to win games

I doubt Hyde will be traded, there just isn't enough behind him. I do think this may be his last year with the 49ers ... if he's bad he'll be gone, if he's great he'll probably be more expensive than they want to invest at RB.
    I was referring to us drafting star potential players more than where we should take them in the draft. It just happens that those players are more likely to exist in the first round. Let's look at defending champions NE, they have Tom Brady who is their star player taken low in the draft. Why is he a star you may ask? He's a very marketable franchise QB with millions of enduring fans, something that Cousins or other franchise QB like Ryan will never achieve that superstar or even a star status cause they are not marketable, they are boring even though they are the team so called franchise player. NE also signed Randy Moss among other past their prime superstars but Brady is the only true superstar currently on their roster. Our last superstar player was TO as he was the talk of the town, the most recognizable face on the team that goes beyond elite. We NEED that on this team now more than ever to led the rebuilding effort and the players in the draft with those potential were Kamara and Ross, among others

You should know that by now as a Dubs fan when we drafted Steph Curry. Now why is he a superstar? People who passed him up in the draft thought he was not athletic and too fragile to guard anyone but we took him anyways cause we saw stardom (at least I did) cause he can do things many can't like his ability make shots from anywhere on the court even though his turnover ratio was awful taking too many risk. Now he's arguably the most marketable player in the game with millions of fans idolizing him from all over the world, buying his jerseys, shoes like me!
    Last edited by eDush; 09-07-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Sorry but disagree with Hyde as he should and will be traded when his value is at his highest, hopefully during this season before he gets hurt again. You don't seem to understand the buy low sell high logic when it comes to sports do you? You don't trade him when he's bad cause the team already know what he can do silly LOL. It would be very wise for the FO to explore and I believe they will as he just doesn't fit Kyle's offense but does fit many others as a power back. Think big picture

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I could buy Kamara in the 3rd, but Ross at pick 2 or 3 would have been a massive over reach, especially for the 3rd WR in the draft.
    You already know Lattimore was my top player to draft but my top offensive player in the draft was John Ross over anyone else in this draft including Fournette, Davis and Mike Williams that most everyone else had as their top offensive player which include you. None of those players had what Ross has which is speed, the fastest receiver out of college and the ability to catch the ball with those speed. If you don't see the superstar potential in that, then you never will perhaps but I see potential global marketability and will someday be discuss in the same breaths as Curry is now in basketball. I would have traded down with one more time to get him by trading with either the Jets or the Panthers as they were discuss in rumor to move up. In hindsight now, I would probably taken Ross over Lattimore, even at the 2 spots before his first game ever, would you?

We need potential star player marketability on this team and that player can't be Cousin, it never will be

You already know Lattimore was my top player to draft but my top offensive player in the draft was John Ross over anyone else in this draft including Fournette, Davis and Mike Williams that most everyone else had as their top offensive player which include you. None of those players had what Ross has which is speed, the fastest receiver out of college and the ability to catch the ball with those speed. If you don't see the superstar potential in that, then you never will perhaps but I see potential global marketability and will someday be discuss in the same breaths as Curry is now in basketball. I would have traded down with one more time to get him by trading with either the Jets or the Panthers as they were discuss in rumor to move up. In hindsight now, I would probably taken Ross over Lattimore, even at the 2 spots before his first game ever, would you?

We need potential star player marketability on this team and that player can't be Cousin, it never will be
    Quick question with the easiest answer, which of the best WRs to ever play the game had 4.2 speed, sub 6ft height and weighed less than 200 pounds?

And no. I wouldn't have taken Ross over many players, including the two WRs who went before him and Lattimore.

Quick question with the easiest answer, which of the best WRs to ever play the game had 4.2 speed, sub 6ft height and weighed less than 200 pounds?

And no. I wouldn't have taken Ross over many players, including the two WRs who went before him and Lattimore.
    Jerry Rice but I still had to verify his speed again on the web lol, always seems a little faster than 4.2 but his hands, route running, preparation and dedication to be the best are second to none

Davis may be the next Jonny Flynn
    http://grantland.com/features/the-struggles-former-lottery-pick-jonny-flynn/

WR is the one position where the vast majority of the top players were taken in the top half of the first round, so I can see the appeal of going all in at WR. I just don't know that Shanahan values those "superstar" skill sets as much as lesser offensive coaches.

I think the O line may well be the highest priority next year.

Jerry Rice but I still had to verify his speed again on the web lol, always seems a little faster than 4.2 but his hands, route running, preparation and dedication to be the best are second to none

http://grantland.com/features/the-st...k-jonny-flynn/
    Jerry Rice was a 4.2 speed sub 6' WR???

Isn't 6'2 in the sub range but his speed was so deceptive

Jerry was literally none of those things.

4.2? Nope.
    Under 6ft? Nope.
    Under 200 pounds? Nope.

Even if you want to try this "4.2 in game film" experiment, I asked who was all of those things, which still disqualifies him. The closest you get is Steve Smith, but he still only checks the size and weight boxes.
    Last edited by RedandGold_35; 09-07-2017 at 03:06 PM.

He's trying to compare a basketball player to a football player, as if there's zero prospects in the NFL he could have used, is It a shock he's out in left field?

Jerry was literally none of those things.

4.2? Nope.
    Under 6ft? Nope.
    Under 200 pounds? Nope.

Even if you want to try this "4.2 in game film" experiment, I asked who was all of those things, which still disqualifies him. The closest you get is Steve Smith, but he still only checks the size and weight boxes.
    Ronnie Lott says he was and trust him over any poster claiming he never was but thought sub 6' was in the 6+ range so my bad as that would eliminate Rice
    Last edited by eDush; 09-07-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast