Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    One more thing that popped in my head after reading the below little article. I know that it REALLY sucks about McMillan, but it could end up as a positive for the upcoming season at least. I believe that there is a good chance that we will pursue a replacement LB in Raekwon's absence, so it's very possible that our starting three could be even better without him. Of course he won't get the reps in of the season (and who knows how the knee will heal), but a proven vet will probably have a better season than a rookie...it's just logical. Looking at the list of possible targets (and their potential costs), there are some good additions waiting to be made. We just need to go ahead and pull the trigger on one. Check out the list/article:

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/08/12/m...kwon-mcmillan/
    Coming Soon...Isaac Asiata

^^^^Everyone is talking up Hull lately so I don't expect any major signing incoming. It seems like the exact same situation as the LG position, the team thinks they can get away with what they have. We only have 7million left this year and I can't imagine signing anyone significant unless Hull just sucks. Even then they could try to move Kiko back and have Hewitt play WLB.

Hull is a decent but I think he's going to hurt the run game. He has the same problem that Kiko has and that's overall speed and inability to shed blocks. With his size he has to make the right decision or he's just going to get swallowed up. The hope is that the improved Dline play will keep him clean enough so that it's not a problem. Godcheax has impressed me enough to think that he's an upgrade over Phillips so if that #2 DT spot steps up then I think we'll be fine with what we have.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    ^^^^Everyone is talking up Hull lately so I don't expect any major signing incoming. It seems like the exact same situation as the LG position, the team thinks they can get away with what they have. We only have 7million left this year and I can't imagine signing anyone significant unless Hull just sucks. Even then they could try to move Kiko back and have Hewitt play WLB.

Hull is a decent but I think he's going to hurt the run game. He has the same problem that Kiko has and that's overall speed and inability to shed blocks. With his size he has to make the right decision or he's just going to get swallowed up. The hope is that the improved Dline play will keep him clean enough so that it's not a problem. Godcheax has impressed me enough to think that he's an upgrade over Phillips so if that #2 DT spot steps up then I think we'll be fine with what we have.
    I can definitely see that they are talking up Hull, but we'll have to wait and see if it's because he's genuinely (rightfully) taking over as a starter, or if he's just the "best we have available" and we need him to play with confidence. Looking at the list from the previous article, it seems like there is some pretty good talent available, and it wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg.

My concern is that there will HIGHLY likely be another injury at LB at some point, and I'm afraid that our "starter quality" depth is really thin after Hull. Same as with my opinion on the Cutler situation, I would rather see us get someone in right away and get them learning the system. Bringing a guy in half way through the season means that he's going to spend the rest of the season trying to figure out the offense...making his addition almost moot.

Also, I will have to say that I was wrong about Godchaux (so far). I didn't see any chance of a starter in Devon, so that is a very pleasant surprise. I would prefer to have Phillips in a backup role anyway; I think that he can be good in small bursts, but probably not play in and play out all game. We need to hit on late round guys that can genuinely contribute. I truly hope that he can keep it up and keep growing/improving.

Ohh man with Lippet down our secondary isnt looking so hot for depth rigth now.

Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Ohh man with Lippet down our secondary isnt looking so hot for depth rigth now.
    If people didn't see he is out for the season with a torn achilles.

Signing Alterraun Verner for 900k is looking real good as he has looked solid in camp. Lippet was in line to be our #3 boundary CB so it isn't a huge loss but he has been improving every year so this is a big blow for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    If people didn't see he is out for the season with a torn achilles.

Signing Alterraun Verner for 900k is looking real good as he has looked solid in camp. Lippet was in line to be our #3 boundary CB so it isn't a huge loss but he has been improving every year so this is a big blow for that.
    Man, WTF!? Can the season get here already? At this rate, we are going to be fielding a team of players picked up from other teams after final cuts.

Tannehill is our only big loss so far but we where able to fill him with a guy that Gase knows and has shown to be at least average. Lippet and McMillian where both only going to see 30% of the snaps or lower and we should be able to fill them with guys who can play to a similar level. The only real issue is both are young and need those snaps, more so Lippet being next year is his last on his rookie deal and I had hopes he would replace Maxwell in that year.

Lippett wasn't the starter last season but thanks to injuries started 13 games. As the season progreses we will almost surely see more injuries in the secondary, losing Lippett hurts our depth and I bet if he didn't get injured he would of eventually started some games.

Free agent ILB Rey Maualuga is working out for the Dolphins.

The Dolphins have a huge hole in the middle after losing second-rounder Raekwon McMillan to a torn ACL. Right now, "Mike Hull" is in line to be the Week 1 starter. A longtime Bengal, Maualuga was released in March. This is his first-known visit. Maualuga hasn't been effective in a while, but would probably be the favorite to start over Hull.
    -Rotoworld

Definitely not good, but a better option than Hull?

Signed: T Sean Hickey, WR Rashad Lawrence
    Waived: T Kwayde Miller
    Waived/injured: WR Francis Owusu
    Waived from injured reserve: WR Jordan Westerkamp

Every good team has players step up for them when needed. Right now we are going into the season without our starting QB, potentially starting MLB and our #3 outside CB, and our starting RB now has a concussion to deal with prior to the start of the season, and the way he runs, I wouldn't be surprised if it re-occurs at some point this year.

The Patriots have supposed chumps start for them every year at some point, and they play to their system and end up working out very well for the team. Nothing says that our current players and current plan can't be the same.

The season already looks to be on shaky ground, and another injury to a starter will definitely put us behind the 8 ball.

I personally like Hull. He played very well vs. ARZ last year filling in for Kiko, and it would not bother me to give him a chance. Can't shed blocks, but is a consistent tackler and should be able to play the run okay.

We've lost Misi, McMillan, Tannehill and Lippett for the season and we're not even in week 2 of the preseason.
    Larsen is also out indefinitely. For a team not super deep to begin with, this isn't good. And we all know it's just a matter of time until Pouncey joins them on this list. And Ajayi taking 2 weeks to get out of the concussion protocol is worrisome.
    BRUH

Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post
    We've lost Misi, McMillan, Tannehill and Lippett for the season and we're not even in week 2 of the preseason.
    Larsen is also out indefinitely. For a team not super deep to begin with, this isn't good. And we all know it's just a matter of time until Pouncey joins them on this list. And Ajayi taking 2 weeks to get out of the concussion protocol is worrisome.
    Exactly. We may not be losing our "starters" at an alarming rate, but at some point, our depth is going to be just as important...there will be injuries and when it comes, our not having any depth is going to be just as big of an issue. Our strengths are getting weaker, but worse, our weaknesses are getting weaker. I really do feel that we may end up having to make a waiver wire move or two before the regular season gets here. I fear that we haven't seen the end of our injury bug yet. I pray it's not the case.

Free agent LB Kelvin Sheppard worked out for the Dolphins.
    The Dolphins visited with Sheppard and Rey Maualuga. There's a Miami connect for Sheppard , but he's never played for DC Matt Burke. An 11-game starter with the Giants last year, Sheppard would be a veteran fallback behind MLB Mike Hull.

I'd honestly take Sheppard over Maualuga. At least Sheppard has shown recently to be a decent run stuffer which is all we really need from the MLB position right now.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast