Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

2017 OTA/Training Camp thread

Use this thread to discuss any news doing OTA's and Training Camp.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Good job Kody!
    Coming Soon...Isaac Asiata

Thought of it all by myself!

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Thought of it all by myself!
    LOL

So it looks like Suh is trying to settle into his "new" mentor role for the incoming rookies...

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2...6051495574487/

And on a non-Dolphins note, Albert is still a no-show, and doesn't appear to be headed to Jacksonville anytime soon. Coaches are saying that they have no issue with it as long as he's in-shape and ready to play for the start of the season. What a headache that must be for the Jags.

Charles Harris is officially signed (4-year deal worth nearly 11 million). At least that's one less thing to think about. Reading this article, there is the video interview with Omar Kelly. He feels that Thomas will be the biggest addition to this offense (obviously) and that we now could be contenders for the "most complete" offense in the NFL (talent at every level...Pro Bowlers at every level - RB/TE/WR/QB). Of course, just as many of us fear, he feels that we took a step backwards on the offensive line, and that this is our biggest concern moving forward.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...524-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    Charles Harris is officially signed (4-year deal worth nearly 11 million). At least that's one less thing to think about. Reading this article, there is the video interview with Omar Kelly. He feels that Thomas will be the biggest addition to this offense (obviously) and that we now could be contenders for the "most complete" offense in the NFL (talent at every level...Pro Bowlers at every level - RB/TE/WR/QB). Of course, just as many of us fear, he feels that we took a step backwards on the offensive line, and that this is our biggest concern moving forward.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...524-story.html
    Anyone outside of the fans of the Phins that questions the offensive talent on this team needs re-examine their true football knowledge. The offensive weapons are as dangerous as there is in the NFL.

1. Good, still ascending, QB in 2nd year under Gase
    2. power-back in J-Train
    3. 3 WR set that can win against any secondary in the league
    4. Nice TE rotation with quality balance of blocking (Fasano) and receiving (Thomas).

But I couldn't agree more that our OL is the most glaring weakness right now, probably out of any unit we have both offense and defense. We'll see what happens with Larsen, Bushrod and Asiata. I still feel like Pouncey may be the most unpredictable player on our team this year. I really hope they make a play for Mangold, even as an expensive back-up.

I'm excited to see what this offense can do now that we have a quality RZ threat in Thomas and a full 16 game slate for J-Train.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    Anyone outside of the fans of the Phins that questions the offensive talent on this team needs re-examine their true football knowledge. The offensive weapons are as dangerous as there is in the NFL.

1. Good, still ascending, QB in 2nd year under Gase
    2. power-back in J-Train
    3. 3 WR set that can win against any secondary in the league
    4. Nice TE rotation with quality balance of blocking (Fasano) and receiving (Thomas).

But I couldn't agree more that our OL is the most glaring weakness right now, probably out of any unit we have both offense and defense. We'll see what happens with Larsen, Bushrod and Asiata. I still feel like Pouncey may be the most unpredictable player on our team this year. I really hope they make a play for Mangold, even as an expensive back-up.

I'm excited to see what this offense can do now that we have a quality RZ threat in Thomas and a full 16 game slate for J-Train.
    Exactly...and exactly.

I guess that's one reason that I got so annoyed about the line. We have SO MUCH going for us, and it could all be for naught if the line fails. Why do you invest so much in weapons and then neutralize all of them due to a sketchy line? A good line makes mediocre weapons into solid ones...a bad line kills everything. I just pray that they know what they are doing...it's why Gase is at OTAs today and I just got home from my ****** job.

I have a feeling that Mangold isn't off the table; I feel like we are working with him as a backup plan in case anything happens...saying that "you are as good as signed the moment something happens to Pouncey...as long as no one else hires you before then that is". So if he's unemployed going into the season, then I think he could still end up as a Phin. A bad center can kill everything else on your line (even if Larsen/Bushrod do work out)...throwing Steen in there could make everyone take a step backwards.

Oh good, at least only Pouncey, Bushrod, and James are banged up on the line...no reason to be remotely concerned yet.

I know it's still early, but this SOOOO doesn't give me any confidence (as if there was much to begin with)...first three days of practice and 3/5s of our line is already injured. Maybe this is just what we need to push our FO to realize just how precarious this whole situation is.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...525-story.html

AND YOU ALL WONDERED WHY I WANTED A FIRST ROUND Og!

I think the TE is a question mark. Thomas is a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I think the TE is a question mark. Thomas is a big question mark.
    Until it happens, of course everything is only theoretical. But I don't see any reason why we won't be fine at the position...barring multiple injuries of course. Thomas is a question mark, but that's only because he hasn't played for us yet (IMO). He was the best receiving TE in football under Gase...until he played in an awful system in Jacksonville (where he wasn't even involved in the red zone offense). He is saying that this is the best his body has felt in a really long time, and says that the offense that we run is reminiscent of the one that he thrived in, in Denver. So if his body is "great" and this offense is almost the same as the one that made him a monster, then there's really no reason to think that he won't be just fine. How good? That's to be determined. But I just don't see anything that would make me think that he'll be a flop.

As for Fasano, I don't see any reason why he won't be up to par as well. He was the #1 blocking TE in the NFL last season (where he has been near the top virtually every year since leaving the Dolphins). So we know he's still capable of being a great blocker if he just showed it to us a few months ago. His hands are solid and he can catch in red zone situations (mostly short-yardage stuff). He's not going to get us big chunks of yards (or big plays for that matter), but he should be great at keeping us on the field and periodically pulling one down in the end zone. Again, on paper, this is a kick-a## signing IMO...between helping our running game, being a good 3rd-down option, and grabbing a handful of (likely) TDs in the red zone, he also should be seen as a good TE on our depth chart.

After those two, it does start to get a bit more questionable, but still...we have two decent contenders. Gray showed more and more last season, and looks to be a solid receiver with good yards after catch...along with adequate blocking. Is he a star? Probably not. But as a 3rd option, he should provide solid depth. Finally, we have Thomas Duarte. He's not a lock to make the final 53, but he has big-play receiver written all over him IMO. Can he block too? That's yet to be determined. But if he makes the 53, we should expect to see a few big plays out of him this season. If not, then he's likely back to the practice squad. Still though, I believe that having the former "#1 receiving TE in the NFL" AND "the #1 blocking TE in the NFL" as our 1 and 2...we should at least have a bit of confidence in the position going into the season.

We got through most of the season with Gray as our starter/main option last year and we were fine. Now he's the 3rd string TE. We'll be fine at TE especially since early reports are that Thomas is fitting in well and is in good shape.

One of the biggest things I took away from today's practice is that they really are moving Timmons around right now. He apparently practiced at every spot today and wasn't exactly in the nickel spot. Now this could just be the staff playing around with OTA's but if they do really plan on having him and McMillan play MLB that makes me like the McMillan pick sooooooo much more.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    We got through most of the season with Gray as our starter/main option last year and we were fine. Now he's the 3rd string TE. We'll be fine at TE especially since early reports are that Thomas is fitting in well and is in good shape.

One of the biggest things I took away from today's practice is that they really are moving Timmons around right now. He apparently practiced at every spot today and wasn't exactly in the nickel spot. Now this could just be the staff playing around with OTA's but if they do really plan on having him and McMillan play MLB that makes me like the McMillan pick sooooooo much more.
    At this point, we have three MLBs as our starting 3 LBs. I read that our coaches intend on being able to interchange Kiko/Timmons/McMillan at any given time...all being able to switch to MLB or move outside. I like the versatility, but I don't want the guys to feel like they don't have a position (so to speak)...I want them to be great wherever they play; not just "able" to play SAM or WILL.

"Highlights" from the OTAs so far...sounds good to me.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...4-55d3e67a27c9

I wanted an OL also, but I think going defense heavy will pay off big time for the Phins...

I think Gase wants to see the health of Pouncey and if James can be more consistent... That's his main focus IMO... Besides Larsen, the rest of the line is returning which at least for continuity is a good thing... If Larsen bombs, then he's replaced and dropped after the season... Obviously they are hoping for the best...

They have a decent back up to Pouncey in Steen...

I think the Asiata pick was a good one... He'll be the one rookie lineman to bring along slowly with the plan that he'll take over a OG spot next season... Heck, he'll be 25 so at least he has maturity going for him...

If James bombs (which I doubt) and Pouncey re-injures his hip (good chance), then next years draft will be one where an OL is taken with a high pick...

I can see the reason for choosing defense over an OL this draft... They would have to sign a vet OL even if they took a OG in the 1st just in case he struggles... Tunsil was different because he was projected in some mocks as the 1st overall pick... (Tunsil was a blessing for this team)... He was going to start from day one which he did... If a rookie 1st rd OL struggled, then the FA vet comes in and the rookie learns... Instead, they sign a OL to start from day one and draft a 24 year rookie who IMO will definitely be ready to start next season...

In the 18' draft look at hopefully snagging a top center if Pouncey goes down, top OT if James underwhelms or another OG...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast