Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I'd get keeping him if this was strike 1, but this if I am not mistaken is his third suspension since 2015, maybe only his 2nd either way he's not learning his lesson. He was ranked 63rd among interior lineman last year nothing worth keeping on to. He needs to fix his life before he thinks about football. I think the Packers are doing him a favor. He has off field issues and I would argue would impede the development of higher ceiling players Lowry and Clark. The only bad part about this move is Adam's just went down so I'd expect a follow up move before camp closes Francios would be the only "reliable" depth guy off the top of my head.
    yeah its his third.

1st was when he got popped with all that weed and 150k in cash and his gun

2nd was the suspension he had to start the season

3 is this DUI

RIP Gene Wilder

I'm glad Guion got cut because I'd rather not have players like that on this roster:
    At the same time it does make me a little bit nervous because he was a solid player in a position of need.

I'm with norm. I would have understood if they just held him. He has had his trouble with the law, but by all accounts, he's been a pretty decent locker room guy. So it's not like his off the field stuff was constantly spilling over into the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I'm with norm. I would have understood if they just held him. He has had his trouble with the law, but by all accounts, he's been a pretty decent locker room guy. So it's not like his off the field stuff was constantly spilling over into the locker room.
    I don't think the Packers wanted this to happen, but I don't think he left them an option, you can only have so much patience with a guy before the bridge is burned, I think he talented and locker room presence got him to this many strikes, but if they kept him and he had one more slip up it would really draw into question what going on in this organization. Despite the fact he was a well-liked guy it sends a message to the rest of the roster, were patience, but there are consequences for poor decisions. An organization like the Packers in part is about being tight nite, classy, and professional. His release was consistent with leadership moves in the past and that's key too. The Packers are willing to give someone a second chance, but I think it just came to that point.

Another factor here I don't think it was all his impending suspension here. If it was then they could have cut him earlier. Last season he was ranked something like the 64th overall interior lineman, I'm not sure how he looked in camp, but I don't think his off-field behavior was the only factor here. Kenny Clark was going to be starting over him this season. They have also been overhauling the defense maybe a guy like Christian Ringo, Ricky Jean-Francios, or another in house guy fits the build a little better.

I don't think the Packers wanted this to happen, but I don't think he left them an option, you can only have so much patience with a guy before the bridge is burned, I think he talented and locker room presence got him to this many strikes, but if they kept him and he had one more slip up it would really draw into question what going on in this organization. Despite the fact he was a well-liked guy it sends a message to the rest of the roster, were patience, but there are consequences for poor decisions. An organization like the Packers in part is about being tight nite, classy, and professional. His release was consistent with leadership moves in the past and that's key too. The Packers are willing to give someone a second chance, but I think it just came to that point.

Another factor here I don't think it was all his impending suspension here. If it was then they could have cut him earlier. Last season he was ranked something like the 64th overall interior lineman, I'm not sure how he looked in camp, but I don't think his off-field behavior was the only factor here. Kenny Clark was going to be starting over him this season. They have also been overhauling the defense maybe a guy like Christian Ringo, Ricky Jean-Francios, or another in house guy fits the build a little better.
    Here's my thing, why wait then? If it's a move "we can't have guys like this around, oh lets wait 2 months" or whatever it was. I wouldn't read a ton into PFF, Guion is NEVER gonna be a guy PFF likes. He eats blocks and the casuals that grade that stuff just think he "got blocked." Like Bennie Logan was behind him on PFF grades, just got an 8 mil deal.

I guess you covered that, I should read the whole post completely lol. I said somewhere else, this didn't move the needle for me, he's not integral to winning, but that stout "can't move me" body isn't the worst thing to have. My guess is either Price looked like a lock (lots of good talk on him lately) and they were like, we won't even want you back so here's a chance after suspension to play for someone and maybe get there soon. Or maybe there was word more games were coming, which I mean, is probably likely.

I speculated early that we might just stash him and not cut instantly, and cutting right away would have been fine by me. I guess they looked at him in camp and thought, who cares. I read somewhere saying that he had dead legs at practice supposedly. It is what it is, he's lucky he made it up here. He was a fringe player who got a few bucks after playing better here.

No huge worry, just don't think we have a guy with quite the anchor, but at the same time, RJF and Clark should be close and can actually move laterally lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Having 4 All Pros on offense=fairy tale.
    Having a look in your eye=key to NFL success.

I actually read an article the other day that explained the Guion situation a little better if I remember where I saw it I will share the link, but it stated that the Packers were using the time to evaluate all factors. The decision came down to even before the DUI, Guion was already set to serve a season-opening four-game suspension. The league will be handing down another suspension as this was a separate infraction. Keeping in mind Guion's a repeat offender the next suspension would likely be lengthier. It's possible Guion would have missed the entire season due to his off-field choices. It seems that all of the headaches were just too much for the Packers to deal with. From a talent perspective the Packers also seemed more inclined to develop their young group. The article stated the teams hope to provide Clark and Lowry more reps. However, the team is reported to be very high on the potential to develop Brian Price, Montravius Adams, and Christian Ringo.

Since Adams return may not be until mid-season the Packers could look at free agent options Dan Williams, Jared Odrick, Arthur Jones, or Vance Walker.

We've resigned Goode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually read an article the other day that explained the Guion situation a little better if I remember where I saw it I will share the link, but it stated that the Packers were using the time to evaluate all factors. The decision came down to even before the DUI, Guion was already set to serve a season-opening four-game suspension. The league will be handing down another suspension as this was a separate infraction. Keeping in mind Guion's a repeat offender the next suspension would likely be lengthier. It's possible Guion would have missed the entire season due to his off-field choices. It seems that all of the headaches were just too much for the Packers to deal with. From a talent perspective the Packers also seemed more inclined to develop their young group. The article stated the teams hope to provide Clark and Lowry more reps. However, the team is reported to be very high on the potential to develop Brian Price, Montravius Adams, and Christian Ringo.

Since Adams return may not be until mid-season the Packers could look at free agent options Dan Williams, Jared Odrick, Arthur Jones, or Vance Walker.
    I'm kind of surprised those 4 are all FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    We've resigned Goode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't get the situation. We sign Goode to a 1 year deal last year let his contract run out bring in another LS this TC, he does an ok job but, in the middle of training camp we Re-sign Goode.

why not just re-sign him to a couple year contract and keep the continuity

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I don't get the situation. We sign Goode to a 1 year deal last year let his contract run out bring in another LS this TC, he does an ok job but, in the middle of training camp we Re-sign Goode.

I read he had another injury last year that he played through that he was recovering from, but I can't find any like actual article saying that.

I read he had another injury last year that he played through that he was recovering from, but I can't find any like actual article saying that.
    but, you would still think that if they are going to bring him back just go ahead and sign him to a couple years to a contract that you can shed easily if the injury is too horrible.

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post

The Packers seems to have this habit they did the same thing with Rob Davis only keeping him on a 1 yr deal. Granted when they did this with Davis he was nearing retirement. I'd imaging they don't think LS is really worth a long term investment.

The Packers seems to have this habit they did the same thing with Rob Davis only keeping him on a 1 yr deal. Granted when they did this with Davis he was nearing retirement. I'd imaging they don't think LS is really worth a long term investment.
    And yeah I was told he was indeed definitely hurt and that's why he was MIA.

TBH, it probably doesn't matter how you sign a LS like Goode, AFAIK, he just gets league min over and over.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay...tt-goode-4997/

No old info but they just give him min them there's the vet sal benefit so he only costs what IIRC a 2nd or 3rd year min player gets against the cap.

I'm kind of surprised those 4 are all FAs.
    The league is getting strange like that. I have no idea what made me think of it, but I was thinking about mike Neal today too. He got a couple workouts but it doesn't even sound like he got any offers last year. Seems like he's basically out of the league. Maybe the al jeezera thing hurt him, but no one else got suspended from that, so I'm not sure why he would have. He wasn't great, but he was definitely good enough to be rosterable in my opinion.

It just seems like the league has gotten to a point where if you're a vet and aren't quite good enough to start, there's no spot for you. Seems like everyone wants youth for their backups. It's all about upside with those guys. I sort of get it, but you'd think vets would still find spots.

Makes you wonder with all the talk of CTE and all the injury risk, maybe these guys aren't willing to take vet minimum types of deals. That's pure speculation by me, so who knows.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast