Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How many times do we score more?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - GTFO I'm BDizzle

0 0%
  • 1 - Seriously, 1?

0 0%
  • 2 - I like Series wins

0 0%
  • 3 - The only way I know

3 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3:31732806
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    It's also possible we over performed as a team last season, that many players put together a career type year all in the same season. That everything played out perfectly last season and this season it has disappeared. Not saying the team is not underperforming, maybe all that dynasty talk was premature. I am not complaining about it, we won it all last year and I am OK with a bad season. Maybe it's just that expectations were too high and the team last year was overachieving a bit. Not to say the team doesn't have the core to win it all again at some point but the dynasty talk might have been off.

I have said it many times, if the team lost that game 7 this would really be painful. Right now it's disappointing but with the monkey off our backs and the 108 year drought ended it's not nearly as bad. Do your best this year, reassess, retool, then go at it again.
    This isn't unreasonable but even if we tremendously over-performed last year, it still doesn't account for a 22 game swing which is what we'd be looking at right now. There's just no denying that we're under-performing right now, even if it's not by an overwhelming amount.
    I'm still unsure if this is the true talent level of the team. Besides Bryzzo there isn't a lot to go on as far as our young hitters go. They have potential but they aren't proven. Zobrist and Lackey are a year older. They never replaced Fowler's production in CF. The defense was an outlier last year. Hendricks out performed his peripherals by a good amount. A lot went right for this team last year. Plus the central got a bit better too. The Reds and Brewers aren't pushovers this year. I don't think any one thing explains a 22 game swing, but there are plenty of factors at play here. I know people don't like hearing it, but its possible this team just isn't that good.
    I hope the young guys are better than this. If not this team may not have the stranglehold on the division like fans expected. If the Reds can get their starting pitching together next year they can be a factor. Unrelated to your post, but they need to get the pitching straightened out. In year 6 I was hoping to see better results from the drafts on that front. I know we didn't take any pictures high, but you would have thought we would have lucked into something.

Dodgers 3B Justin Turner wins NL Final Vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Dodgers 3B Justin Turner wins NL Final Vote

Good. He deserved to be on the team

Royals 3B Mike Moustakas wins AL Final Vote

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I'm still unsure if this is the true talent level of the team. Besides Bryzzo there isn't a lot to go on as far as our young hitters go. They have potential but they aren't proven. Zobrist and Lackey are a year older. They never replaced Fowler's production in CF. The defense was an outlier last year. Hendricks out performed his peripherals by a good amount. A lot went right for this team last year. Plus the central got a bit better too. The Reds and Brewers aren't pushovers this year. I don't think any one thing explains a 22 game swing, but there are plenty of factors at play here. I know people don't like hearing it, but its possible this team just isn't that good.
    I hope the young guys are better than this. If not this team may not have the stranglehold on the division like fans expected. If the Reds can get their starting pitching together next year they can be a factor. Unrelated to your post, but they need to get the pitching straightened out. In year 6 I was hoping to see better results from the drafts on that front. I know we didn't take any pictures high, but you would have thought we would have lucked into something.
    Kyle Hendricks did not "out pitch his peripherals by a good amount". He had a 3.20 FIP/3.59 xFIP and was worth 4.5 fWAR. The 3.20 FIP was good enough for fourth in the MLB. His ERA may have been a bit low, but the guy pitched like a high end #2 last year. Comments like that make you believe he pitched like a TORP but had BORP numbers. He pitched like a slightly better TORP than he should have pitched like. That's about it.

The Reds absolutely suck. Their offense is good, sure, but their rotation is such **** it doesn't even come close to making it up. Yes the Reds are pushovers. They're going to find it nearly impossible to fix that mess in a year, and offesnively, they're getting some extra production from guys like Cozart (who's likely to be dealt) and Schebler. They're not that good. In fact, I'd suggest the central got worse. Sure, the Brewers stopped being doormats, but the Pirates and the Cardinals went from upper-tier teams to very "meh" in their own right.

Willson Contreras has been pretty great this year, he looks like he's a 4-5 win catcher. Bryzzo has been a little behind in the power department/average, but have still been great. Both should be 5 win players by seasons end, if not better. Our biggest issues offensively have been from guys like Russell, who has taken a step back and Schwarber who's been disappointing, as well as a general cold month in May where everyone was worthless. I think it's also a stretch to say we didn't replace CF. The Cubs have gotten a nice .376 wOBA and 1.4 wins from Ian Happ who's played more CF than anything else. It wasn't the plan right off the bat...but if Happ keeps hitting, he's going to, for the most part, replace Fowler's production. Happ very well may be the replacement.

The team has really been killed in the rotation. Hendricks has been disappointing, but that wasn't really able to have been seen (he's been a really great SP for years now). Lackey...seems like age won finally. Arrieta seems to have fallen off for...whatever reason. And sadly the Brett Anderson thing didn't work out like the team wanted it to. That's been the biggest issue: the SP. I think the team is good...I think the SP is disappointing right now.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by chitownkid View Post
    Bases loaded one out in top of third down 5-0, who would you use?
    Literally anyone who isnt making their season debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    You're way more likeable

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Kyle Hendricks did not "out pitch his peripherals by a good amount". He had a 3.20 FIP/3.59 xFIP and was worth 4.5 fWAR. The 3.20 FIP was good enough for fourth in the MLB. His ERA may have been a bit low

The team has really been killed in the rotation. Hendricks has been disappointing, but that wasn't really able to have been seen (he's been a really great SP for years now). Lackey...seems like age won finally. Arrieta seems to have fallen off for...whatever reason. And sadly the Brett Anderson thing didn't work out like the team wanted it to. That's been the biggest issue: the SP. I think the team is good...I think the SP is disappointing right now.
    "His ERA may have been a bit low" is certainly one way to put it, it was a full run lower than his fip and 1.5 runs lower than his xfip. There were Cubs fans arguing that he should have won CY Young because he led the league in ERA. No he definitely out pitched his peripherals. Though in fairness to him the entire staff out pitched their peripherals, and the bullpen as well. The cubs had a real special year.

One thing is clear, Theo really over estimated the health of the rotation, when the AVERAGE team the over the last decade plus uses 11 starters a year, and this team only 6 legitimate starters with one being Brett Anderson, it's fair to say they over estimated the health of the rotation.
    **** I was bringing this up last year in the playoffs and got laughed at for it. The fact that the cubs had 5 starters make 30 starts each is unheard of. That never happens, the season was a clear outlier, and Theo didn't stock up on pitchers accordingly.
    Last edited by ciaban; 07-07-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    "His ERA may have been a bit low" is certainly one way to put it, it was a full run lower than his fip and 1.5 runs lower than his xfip. There were Cubs fans arguing that he should have won CY Young because he led the league in ERA. No he definitely out pitched his peripherals. Though in fairness to him the entire staff out pitched their peripherals, and the bullpen as well. The cubs had a real special year.

One thing is clear, Theo really over estimated the health of the rotation, when the AVERAGE team the over the last decade plus uses 11 starters a year, and this team only 6 legitimate starters with one being Brett Anderson, it's fair to say they over estimated the health of the rotation.
    **** I was bringing this up last year in the playoffs and got laughed at for it. The fact that the cubs had 5 starters make 30 starts each is unheard of. That never happens, the season was a clear outlier, and Theo didn't stock up on pitchers accordingly.
    Arguing what random Cubs fans thought doesn't make your argument. It's a non sequitur. Hendricks pitched to the 4th best FIP in baseball. Yes, he outdid his peripherals a little bit. He was still, in almost every way, shape, and form, one of the 5-7 best SP's in baseball last year. Should he have won a Cy Young? No. And he didn't. Did he pitch like one of the best SP's in baseball last year? Yes.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920