Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 128
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,875

    Constant Mets Injuries the Result of Horrible Management.

    I started this thread back in 2013:

    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...le-Management&

    I have no idea why it was closed but it's more relevant today than ever.

    Every single position except 2nd base has been affected this season. Every starter is either injured or recovering from surgery. The closer is out. It's unbelievable.

    Rushing players back from injuries and playing them hurt has been the Mets way since Jeff Wilpon took over the team. He fired the old medical staff 13 years ago because they were keeping players off the field too long.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/04/sp...-hospital.html

    Mets Cut Ties With Hospital

    But after three years of the team's relationship with the New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, Mets officials said this week that they had cut short a seven-year deal, forfeiting slightly more than $2 million in anticipated revenue. Several professional teams have signed lucrative contracts with hospitals in recent years, and sports medicine experts said they believed this was the first time a team had walked away from such a pact.The move was precipitated by the Mets' dissatisfaction with the care they received the past two years, a sentiment conveyed in conversations with coaches and front-office officials.

    "Based on the information I got, not only on injuries, but on the time it took to get guys back, we had to evaluate the medical department," Omar Minaya, the Mets' new general manager, said last month. "Part of that re-evaluation process was the contract with N.Y.U. The whole medical area was evaluated."
    It's been nothing but disasters ever since.

    They played Church and Bay with concussions and flew them around on airplanes. They wanted Beltran to play on gimpy knees with no surgery. I remember more examples. With Santana they rushed him to come back before the end of the 2011 season, but he got hurt and had to be shut down. And, of course, they kept sending him out last year when it was clear something was wrong. They shut him down way too late.

    And it continues.

    Four years ago, I wrote: "This year players are dropping like flies again. Wright was trotted out with a twinge in his hamstring, instead of being rested. Now he's probably out for the year."

    The Mets lie to fans and media about player injuries. The "twinge" in Wright's hamstring turned out to be the spinal stenosis that's halted his career.

    When I started the original thread, Harvey had been pitching in pain for weeks before his eventual Tommy John surgery:

    http://nypost.com/2013/08/26/mets-ha...-john-surgery/

    Harvey said he dealt with forearm discomfort all season.

    “If you ask any pitcher, they’ve probably had some discomfort in their forearm. … It was something I felt like I could pitch through,” Harvey said. “Whether it was a month, two months I can’t really pinpoint but it had been some time.”
    What the hell was he doing out there? When he recovered from that two seasons later, the Mets had him on the mound for months when he couldn't even feel his fingers! TOS surgery followed.

    Putting Syndergaard on the mound 2 days after he couldn't lift his arm over his shoulder should leave the Mets liable for a lawsuit.

    It's not "luck" these things keep happening to the Mets.

    This pressuring of guys to play hurt began when Jeff Wilpon arrived on the scene and continues. Pedro discussed it in his book. So did Piazza. J.J. Putz went public with it. Still no lessons are learned and nothing changes. This policy of beating the players like mules has destroyed the team.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    26,859
    1. Mets injury rate is at roughly league average.
    2. There's no evidence Wilpon has overruled Alderson in any player personnel decisions. In fact, Alderson is about the last person I would expect to be micromanaged by anyone.
    3. 80% of all players play with injuries 80% of the time. I made those numbers up, but they are not unrealistic expectations.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    1. Mets injury rate is at roughly league average.
    2. There's no evidence Wilpon has overruled Alderson in any player personnel decisions. In fact, Alderson is about the last person I would expect to be micromanaged by anyone.
    3. 80% of all players play with injuries 80% of the time. I made those numbers up, but they are not unrealistic expectations.
    Sauce?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    42,069


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    9,949
    The idea that we're "league average" for injuries is a strawman. Nobody's saying we have more injuries than normal. The problem is our management of those injuries. We consistently turn small injuries into major ones by forcing players onto the field when they should be on the DL. You can tell yourselves that it's no big loss since Cabrera wasn't producing, but so what? That's not the point. Immediately after botching Syndergaard's injury and costing him half the season, they throw Asdrubal out there with a severe thumb injury and let him make it worse.

    You want these clowns in charge if Conforto gets hurt? I wonder how much of David Wright's problem is owed to piss-poor management? These *******s are ruining our team!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    27,932
    Is the problem that management is forcing guys to play when they're hurt, or is the problem that players aren't being honest about how they feel? When an MRI comes up negative, and the player says he's fine, is it management's responsibility to tell him he's not fine, and is going on the DL?

    I wonder how the MLBPA would respond to that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,935
    Another witch-hunting thread
    Buckeye Nation

    There are no men like me, only me.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:31626961
    1. Mets injury rate is at roughly league average.
    2. There's no evidence Wilpon has overruled Alderson in any player personnel decisions. In fact, Alderson is about the last person I would expect to be micromanaged by anyone.
    3. 80% of all players play with injuries 80% of the time. I made those numbers up, but they are not unrealistic expectations.
    Keep saying that about the injury rate but you fail to point out other teams with an equal or greater amount of starting position players, starting pitchers and key RPs being injured as much as us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    42,069
    Cabrera doesn't want to go to the DL.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    26,859
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Keep saying that about the injury rate but you fail to point out other teams with an equal or greater amount of starting position players, starting pitchers and key RPs being injured as much as us.
    Read the article
    In truth, the Mets’ injury luck is, by modern baseball standards, normal. The average team loses about three wins above replacement per season to injury, by our estimates.2 Since 2010, the Mets have lost 31.9 wins above replacement, or 4.0 per year, which makes them the eighth-most injury-plagued team in this span. To be sure, that might be the difference between winning and losing a division, or between making the wildcard and dropping off into the also-rans. But the Mets’ spread in total team WAR lost to injuries isn’t much bigger than you’d expect by chance.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...tting-injured/
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    9,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Cabrera doesn't want to go to the DL.
    Tough cookies.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    29,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    But perception is more important than actual evidence...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    But perception is more important than actual evidence...
    No normal organization plays its franchise player with a broken back for a month...

    gives their ace a start 2 days after he can't lift his arm...

    puts a player with a concussion on an airplane, ends his career...

    and shortly thereafter, puts their new expensive free agent outfield signing on an airplane with a concussion, ending his career.

    And that's just scratching the surface.

    When you look at the particulars, something messed up is going on here. You don't agree?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    No normal organization plays its franchise player with a broken back for a month...

    gives their ace a start 2 days after he can't lift his arm...

    puts a player with a concussion on an airplane, ends his career...

    and shortly thereafter, puts their new expensive free agent outfield signing on an airplane with a concussion, ending his career.

    And that's just scratching the surface.

    When you look at the particulars, something messed up is going on here. You don't agree?
    Loosen your tinfoil hat, it is squeezing your head too tightly.
    Buckeye Nation

    There are no men like me, only me.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    29,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    No normal organization plays its franchise player with a broken back for a month...

    gives their ace a start 2 days after he can't lift his arm...

    puts a player with a concussion on an airplane, ends his career...

    and shortly thereafter, puts their new expensive free agent outfield signing on an airplane with a concussion, ending his career.

    And that's just scratching the surface.

    When you look at the particulars, something messed up is going on here. You don't agree?
    If you went over all the organizations, I'm sure players have played under questionable circumstances and have subsequently had injuries snowball in severity.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/sp...e-in-back.html

    Wright said that he thought he was injured April 19 as he dived to tag Houston’s Carlos Lee during a game at Citi Field. His back was stiff, then painful, then persistently painful, but Wright said he felt he was getting better, so he did not have an M.R.I., as the Mets had suggested
    This is the same with Syndergaard playing the self diagnosis game. It's foolish but these guys want to play and there is no way to know severity of injuries if players aren't complaining of them. Was the lat injury directly related to the biceps tendonitis? This isn't a game of Operation. Ask a doctor if those injuries are connected.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •