Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Soooooo......What's their plan for the Offseason?

The season's over. It was fun and the Rockets really set themselves up as a top team in the league (maybe not a top tier team but they're definitely up there). What should they do to keep it going next year?

I'll defer to Eddie with this stuff, but just looking at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/houston-rockets-team-salary/ it looks like next year's cap is around $101 million and right now the Rockets are at $87.6ish. So that's about $13 million open if Wiltjer, Bobby Brown, Isaiah Taylor, and Troy Williams aren't retained. Maybe renounce Nene and bring him back at the room exception (he'd still get a raise).

Harden isn't going anywhere, neither is Beverley, Gordon, Lou Will or Capella (unless it's the sticking point to a Paul George or Jimmy Butler type trade, which is doubtful). I'm assuming Dekker and Harrell are still in Morey's plans but Dekker might have a better trade value than he'll probably be worth long term.

Ryan Anderson makes about $20 million and if his 3 isn't falling, he's an expensive decoy. Blake might be available but I doubt he's an option, same with Millsap. Ariza has slipped so badly but I'm not sure what he could get you. Trade his $7 million for a second rounder to free up the space (and no, if that $7 million isn't needed than I'd say keep him)? That'd be about $20 million open if he were traded.

What would be a good plan for that $20ish million?

Harden/Gordon
    Beverley/Lou
    ????/Dekker
    Anderson/Harrell
    Capella/Nene

The guard rotation is set and assuming Nene comes back, the PF/C rotation is set as well. If Ariza is retained, then maybe some extra pieces here and there with the $13ish million but honestly, there's enough of those type of players on the roster.

So that leaves a gap at SF. I assume Durant, Iguadola, and Hayward aren't interested. I don't think I'd want any part of Rudy Gay or Gallinari at a high price. Otto Porter will be restricted and I doubt he's a target. PJ Tucker? Joe Ingles? Bogdonovic? All three of these guys can hit 3's and Tucker has some pretty good defense (ask Harden). What about a guy like Sefolosha or Roberson (if cheap enough?)

What do you think?
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 05-12-2017 at 04:29 AM.

You can't have both Anderson and Ariza on this team next season or at the very least starting. Both are way to inconsistent to be in the same line up. The Rockets first call has to be to Haywood, however I doubt he leaves Utah. I would love Ingles because he is the perfect 3 and D guy with solid passing but again, I doubt he leaves Utah. I guess that leaves Gallo, but I'm not sold on him. I would love Houston to go out and get an defensive minded C but I don't know many options in that department either. It's going to be a very difficult off-season and honestly, it's probably going to be a disappointing one at that.
    I am the hero PSD deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Okay, here we go.

First, I disagree with you guys. Anderson is half the reason D'Antoni's offense worked as well as it did this season. The other half being James Harden, of course. There's no one in the entire league who can provide as much space as he can as a 4. And you guys make it seem like he struggled. He was 9th in 3PTM while shooting over 40%.

And while I'm not high on Ariza as well, I'd still easily take him over guys Tucker, Ingles, Bogdanovic, Sefolosha and Johnson. And Roberson, seriously? At $7.4M, Ariza is still a bargain in today's market.

Anyway, I think the salary cap is projected to be at $102M right now, according to Yahoo Sports. The Rockets have $88,247M guaranteed for next season, $2,625 in non-guaranted salaries (Taylor and Wiltjer) and $6,714M in cap holds (Nene, Brown and Troy). By waiving Taylor and Wiltjer and renouncing cap holds, they can open $13,751M. They can still being Nene back, by the way. I have seen a lot of his interviews, including some national ones, and I think he'd be willing to take a discount to come back.

By dealing away Lou and Ariza, who still have some value around the league, I'd say, $28,171M, $2,5M shy of the max salary (Onuaku + Dekker or Harrell, or Beverley), which is what guys like Durant, Hayward and Griffin (who I definitely don't want). There are some guys who could be willing to accept less than the max, Millsap (32 years old), Gallo (hasn't played a full season since '10), Ibaka (not really a big upgrade), Lowry and George Hill (crowded backcourt) and restricted free agents like Caldwell-Pope and Otto Porter, who aren't going to be let go.

And, lastly, there's the possible Harden extension (again). I'm not sure they will need free cap space to do it this time, but I'm not sure. If they do need, then obviously there's not a chance the Rockets are players in the Free Agency.

And finally, while there are some guys who could be on the trade block (Butler, PG, maybe Porzingis) and the Rockets do have some nice trade pieces, they just don't have the draft picks to make such a deal work.

So, I guess the Rockets' best option is roll with this core, hope they can build upon this season, maybe Capela takes that next step, maybe a small trade, maybe count with a Spurs decline next season, a WCF Finals appearance and then, maybe, look to add a top-tier FA in 2018.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

For the record, I'm not saying to trade Ariza. But if the right deal comes along to upgrade the SF position, hed be the guy to go. I have a feeling they could fit one of those lesser SFs (Tucker/Ingles) into that $13. The extra $7 could get them into the next level. And if not, I'd hang on to Ariza. And I don't think Morey will waste the space for the future on a redundant player this offseason.

And Anderson is perfect for this system, he's just too inconsistent at times. But I wouldn't move on from him.

Hayward is the only guy I'd move a bunch of pieces for but if he doesn't stay in Utah, he's going to Boston, I'd imagine. So you're right, a couple of minor tweaks (like Nene was last year and that turned out to be solid) and if next year isn't an improvement, than a major move in '18 could be coming. But isn't Capella going to be paid starting in 2018-2019? That could be pricey.

Ok here is my question,

Is it possible that the Rockets can go after another shooter, someone in particular who will be in search of a new home, Carmelo Anthony? They need another star to get them over the hump, so to say. Would Carmelo fit in their plans or is that just a waste of time?

Go Rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by lilboytwister99 View Post
    Ok here is my question,

Is it possible that the Rockets can go after another shooter, someone in particular who will be in search of a new home, Carmelo Anthony? They need another star to get them over the hump, so to say. Would Carmelo fit in their plans or is that just a waste of time?

Go Rockets!
    Only way they get Carmelo is if he gets bought out or stretch provisioned. And if that happens, he'd probably go to the Cavs or Clippers. And even if he came here, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    For the record, I'm not saying to trade Ariza. But if the right deal comes along to upgrade the SF position, hed be the guy to go. I have a feeling they could fit one of those lesser SFs (Tucker/Ingles) into that $13. The extra $7 could get them into the next level. And if not, I'd hang on to Ariza. And I don't think Morey will waste the space for the future on a redundant player this offseason.
    So, trade Ariza, and replace him with a guy like Tucker or Ingles? But what could you possibily get from Ariza that would get them to the next level?

And Anderson is perfect for this system, he's just too inconsistent at times. But I wouldn't move on from him.

Hayward is the only guy I'd move a bunch of pieces for but if he doesn't stay in Utah, he's going to Boston, I'd imagine. So you're right, a couple of minor tweaks (like Nene was last year and that turned out to be solid) and if next year isn't an improvement, than a major move in '18 could be coming. But isn't Capella going to be paid starting in 2018-2019? That could be pricey.
    Yeah, Capela is also a question mark. He can be extented before Oct. 31st, by the way, but that doesn't seem something Morey would do. I don't know, I think Capela is very replaceable, and I don't think Morey is worried about re-signing him. I don't think is crazy to think Onuaku will develop into a very similar player.

Quote Originally Posted by lilboytwister99 View Post
    Ok here is my question,

Go Rockets!
    They could, of course. And I'm not even sure it would take much to take him away from Phil Jackson and the Knicks, although I'm obviously not sure he would wave his No-Trade Clause to go to Houston. A combination of Ariza, Lou Williams and cap space or Ryan Anderson alone and cap space would make the trade work financially.

With that said, there's no way I'd be interested in Anthony, and I'm guessing Morey feels the same. He'll turn 33 in a couple of weeks and he's become a very inconsistent outside shooter and he obviously isn't known for his defense. On top of that, there's all the drama that seems to follow him wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    So, trade Ariza, and replace him with a guy like Tucker or Ingles? But what could you possibily get from Ariza that would get them to the next level?
    What I was saying was that if you could use that cap space (the $13ish million) on a guy for extra depth like Tucker or Ingles than I don't think Morey would do it. But if you trade Ariza they'd have $20ish million to offer someone but I don't think that tier of SF is worth it (Gallinari).

The only thing you could get for Ariza is extra cap space and maybe a second of some sort. But it's not about trading Ariza, it's about he'd be the guy to go if they needed that extra $7.

It sucks, though, because I don't think anyone in the top tier would be coming to Houston. So I don't think trading Ariza to open up space would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    What I was saying was that if you could use that cap space (the $13ish million) on a guy for extra depth like Tucker or Ingles than I don't think Morey would do it. But if you trade Ariza they'd have $20ish million to offer someone but I don't think that tier of SF is worth it (Gallinari).

The only thing you could get for Ariza is extra cap space and maybe a second of some sort. But it's not about trading Ariza, it's about he'd be the guy to go if they needed that extra $7.

It sucks, though, because I don't think anyone in the top tier would be coming to Houston. So I don't think trading Ariza to open up space would be worth it.
    Oh, okay. I definitely agree. A guy like Ingles could very well get over $10M a year. Tucker is 32, but he should get some MLE offers, at least. That's more than what Ariza makes, and I definitely rather have him over those two.

Anyway, I'm actually torn about Gallinari. He hasn't played a full season since '09-'10, but that was also a concern for both Gordon and Anderson last season, and he wouldn't need to play 34, 35 minutes game. He would be a perfect fit for this team. He's better suited to plays small-ball 4 than Ariza, he shot the ball great last year, averaged over 18 last two seasons, good rebounder, solid playmaker, still only 29...

But then again, maybe the Rockets would be better off waiting until 2018. Even with Gallo, which would make the Rockets that much better, in my opinion, there's that team in Oakland. I was thinking about Paul George on the Rockets a couple of days ago, how great would that be?

The thing with Gallo is the injuries and he'll basically be the last non-drafted/non traded for piece for the Rockets for awhile. Not sure if he's the guy that puts them over the top. So, basically what you just said.

George would be great, but there's no reason he'd come here. He's Laker bound. Wish Butler was somehow available. And he's from the area so he might want to come home.

I don't know. The Lakers are not in a good position right now, especially if they lose their pick to the Sixers tonight, and I would think he wants to put himself in a position to win it all. And I'm not a huge fan of Butler. But there's IT, and Durant could be a FA once again.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    I don't know. The Lakers are not in a good position right now, especially if they lose their pick to the Sixers tonight, and I would think he wants to put himself in a position to win it all. And I'm not a huge fan of Butler. But there's IT, and Durant could be a FA once again.
    Durant ain't going anywhere unless the Warriors lose Green and Curry. He has no competitive edge. And now that the Lakers get that pick, they're looking better and the Celtics got the high one so I'd imagine they'll add a big name this year (Heyward?) and then re-up IT next year.

I kinda wish they would shop Harden around a bit.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

Why?

He made the All-NBA First Team last week, by the way, so he'll be eligible for that super max extension this offseason. And considering they might not go after any free agent with cap space, or if they do but stike out on names like Hayward, I seriously hope they work it out and lock Harden up until 2024 (if I'm not wrong about the year).

If you're Morey, there are three guys you have to have serious conversations about: Hayward, Millsap and Ibaka. Hayward is the ideal No. 2 for this team, Millsap is a great, balanced, all-around guy who could play a lot of roles and Ibaka would give them a guy who could legitimately defend the interior and stretch out defenses as a possible stretch 5.

Cap-wise, some guys would have to go to make any three of them a reality. But if you're Morey, it doesn't hurt to schedule meetings with all three. Hayward is the only one actually worth a max contract, but I'm not sure you're signing Millsap or Ibaka for anything less than a max or something very, very close to a max.

But if you can't get any three of those guys, I wouldn't break the bank on free agents. Gallo isn't worth remotely a max, but if you could get him for somewhere between what Gordon and Anderson got last offseason, it'd be worth the conversation.

From a needs standpoint, I think the Rockets have three obvious needs at first glance:
    1. A legitimate No. 2 who could take some pressure off Harden offensively and take over when needed in big moments when Harden is off.
    2. Another quality defensive/rebounding rotational big, preferably one who could hit a 3-pointer so that he could player either the 4 or 5 in D'Antoni's system. Although that's going to be pretty tough to come by.
    3. A quality 3 and D wing who can spell/replace Ariza. I was hoping Dekker would develop into that guy, but that remains to be seen.

While guys like Hayward and Millsap would legitimately address two of those three needs, few other guys on the market do. So if you can't get a guy like that, Morey just needs to pull off some shrewd, smaller deals to add guys who can address some of those needs. And they absolutely need to find a way to bring Nene back.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast