Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Chris Ballard is assembling a pretty awesome front office

INDIANAPOLIS – The transformation of the Colts’ front office is nearly complete.

The hiring of General Manager Chris Ballard in January was always expected to be followed by additional changes, and now they’re just about complete.

The Colts are expected to soon announce the hiring of esteemed Seattle personnel executive Ed Dodds, a trusted assistant of Seahawks general manager John Schneider, Jets senior director of college scouting Rex Hogan and veteran NFL personnel man Morocco Brown.

Each is a familiar face for Ballard, who is tapping into existing relationships to assemble his staff. More on that in a minute.

Dodds and Hogan reportedly will share the title of Co-Vice Presidents of Player Personnel, one rung below Ballard in the personnel department. Brown, according to two sources, likely will assume a role overseeing college scouting.

The team is expected to wait until all moves are complete before making a hiring announcement.

Why the shakeup?

For one, this is standard operating procedure when a new GM comes aboard, the new guy generally wanting to hire his own personnel. The process generally commences after the draft, when scouting personnel’s “season” effectively comes to an end. (The contracts of front-office personnel generally expire then, too.)

Then there’s this fact: You want people with common thought processes and methods. To that end, Ballard said this week during an interview on WFNI-AM (1070) that his new hires will be “like-minded” individuals.

Ballard knows this about these men because he’s worked alongside each of them before. Dodds and Ballard go back to the early 2000s at Texas A&M-Kingsville, where Ballard was a position coach and Dodds was a student coach. Hogan and Brown spent time with the Bears in the 2000s while Ballard was a scout and, later, a personnel executive for the team.

The Colts are also bringing aboard former Army Green Beret Brian Decker to be player personnel strategist, according to ESPN. Decker previously worked for the Cleveland Browns doing psychological assessments of draft prospects, and is expected to perform a similar role in Indianapolis.

The Colts’ openings were created when the team recently dismissed Vice President of Football Operations Jimmy Raye, director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and scouts Brandon Brown and Ahmad Russell.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ice/318104001/

I'm most excited about the Ed Dodds hire. From what I've read, he is one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL.

Every one of these hires have been praised throughout the league.

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Something to add:

—Speaking of Chris Ballard, the new GM of the Indianapolis Colts had an A-plus off-season. First, he nailed free agency by bolstering his defense, and then collected two of my top 10 players in the draft class by selecting Malik Hooker and Quincy Wilson. Ballard then cleaned house, getting former GM Ryan Grigson's scouts out of the building and brought in his own crew. So far, that crew is one of the best in the business. Ed Dodds, hired away from Seattle, is a name I've heard mentioned repeatedly by scouts and general managers over the last two years as an elite scout—one even said he's the best scout in the league. Rex Hogan comes over from the New York Jets and Morocco Brown is formerly of the Cleveland Browns. All three men are highly respected evaluators and managers—which is part of what made Ballard such an intriguing general manager candidate. He's well-connected and people want to work for him. The Colts' front office is a great representation of that.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ckson-and-more

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss