Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Pedersons locker in visitors clubhouse in Detroit has been cleared out...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Yep, Joc just got sent down.

It would be great if Granderson can be the 5th hitter this team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    And that's where I see the root of our conflict. I'm not trying to "prove you wrong", because I'm not trying to be "right". And you don't want people to discuss these topics, unless they can "prove you wrong".
    You're right. I don't see much value in discussion if there's no attempt to discern truth from untruth.

Whenever I discuss a player's mechanics, I'm only looking to have conversation. I may see something that looks strange, but that may not be the one thing that is ****ing things up for that player. Someone else might see something different; I may not be correct, but that doesn't mean the conversation isn't worth having or that I should shrug off certain posters simply because I don't want to have that conversation
    Of course.
    If someone else sees something that you don't, then it's an opportunity for you to learn something.
    Unless the thing that they see doesn't actually exist.
    This is why it's important to discern fact from fiction.

I've made a number of comments on my own visual analyses in this forum. You don't have to agree with me on any of them, but you learn tricks of the trade by having these discussions. Which is why I made the "swing a bat" statement. As you get older, you start to discuss strategies with other players for getting more loft, shortening up, analyzing what a pitcher is trying to do, or the little tricks he uses to pick you off of first; everything. When you're in a dugout, most of what you do is talk strategy.
    And I just stood by the bleachers talking about movies and girls. Then took pitches until I was on first or back by the bleachers.

I was pretty much always a - very traditional -leadoff hitter. Take walks, hit liners and ground balls, steal bases, try to advance aggressively. I had a very level swing and let balls get deep into the zone because I wasn't trying to kill the ball and was more willing to use the whole field.
    Since we're sharing baseball stories...
    I was a ****** hitter.
    And a decent pitcher, I guess. They always wanted me to pitch.
    I just wanted to put on a glove and catch everything that was hit in my general, or not, direction.

Anyway, I would be thrilled to read some well-informed posts on the mechanics of hitting.
    A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.
    - Salman Rushdie

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    óGreg King

REPORT MISOGYNISTIC POSTS

*Thread deleted by PSD - apparently PSD's stance on misogyny isn't a topic they want to discuss. With good reason, it appears.

Verlander didn't look washed up today

Quote Originally Posted by Tapptout View Post
    Verlander didn't look washed up today
    Not even a little. He's pitching very well again as I suspected he would.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    You're right. I don't see much value in discussion if there's no attempt to discern truth from untruth
    Well, "prove me wrong" has a much different connotation than "discern truth from untruth".

Sometimes discussion is just for the sake of discussion, and true statements are made without the intent of proving someone wrong.

For example, I noticed Joc created a bit of a hybrid stance with his knees slightly bent inwards, which is something Seager does, and kept his hands more in/forward before his load which is something Puig does. Both of these are true statements which anyone should feel free to discuss the ramifications of.

My interpretation was that he was trying to create more momentum for his coil phase. I believe this can have both positive and negative impact. On one hand, it may prove helpful to the hitter's timing, and potentially allow for more effortless power. On the other, too much unnecessary movement can be bad.

With Puig, for example, it seems to me that many times during his struggles there's an ever so slight consistent twist of his trunk that allows us to see more of his number from the pitcher's view. When his hands consistently come straight back during coil and uncoil, he seems to get more consistent, and effortless power.

This is all my opinion based on my interpretation. You may not make the same observations, that doesn't mean my statements are not true, and they certainly aren't intended to prove you wrong.

But none of this is relevant to the conversation, because, as I'm sure you've noticed yourself, Joc does have a very big "all or nothing" swing. And DBlue was right, he made no major changes to his swing to suggest he was maturing as a hitter. Minor tweaks to his swing we're not what was needed, he needed to more consistently make good contact.

Clearly Joc himself knew this during his last game before he was sent down, because he made major adjustments. And, to me, it was fairly clear that our FO felt the same way or they wouldn't have gone out for Granderson.

Just my opinion. You don't have to agree, nor do you have to "prove me wrong". It's just meant for discussion.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; Yesterday at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Well, "prove me wrong" has a much different connotation than "discern truth from untruth".

Sometimes discussion is just for the sake of discussion, and true statements are made without the intent of proving someone wrong.

For example, I noticed Joc created a bit of a hybrid stance with his knees slightly bent inwards, which is something Seager does, and kept his hands more in/forward before his load which is something Puig does. Both of these are true statements which anyone should feel free to discuss the ramifications of.

My interpretation was that he was trying to create more momentum for his coil phase. I believe this can have both positive and negative impact. On one hand, it may prove helpful to the hitter's timing, and potentially allow for more effortless power. On the other, too much unnecessary movement can be bad.

With Puig, for example, it seems to me that many times during his struggles there's an ever so slight consistent twist of his trunk that allows us to see more of his number from the pitcher's view. When his hands consistently come straight back during coil and uncoil, he seems to get more consistent, and effortless power.

This is all my opinion based on my interpretation. You may not make the same observations, that doesn't mean my statements are not true, and they certainly aren't intended to prove you wrong.

But none of this is relevant to the conversation, because, as I'm sure you've noticed yourself, Joc does have a very big "all or nothing" swing. And DBlue was right, he made no major changes to his swing to suggest he was maturing as a hitter. Minor tweaks to his swing we're not what was needed, he needed to more consistently make good contact.

Clearly Joc himself knew this during his last game before he was sent down, because he made major adjustments. And, to me, it was fairly clear that our FO felt the same way or they wouldn't have gone out for Granderson.

Just my opinion. You don't have to agree, nor do you have to "prove me wrong". It's just meant for discussion.
    Joc has been a good to very good hitter over his shortish major league career - 116 wRC+, .200+ ISOs. Yes, lots of K's - though this year has been, by far his lowest K-rate. He's shown improvement in his contact rate.

So a couple of questions
    1) Why do we think that Pederson needs to make significant changes?
    2) What is different this year from previous years? He is making more contact, he's also hitting more balls on the ground, and may be hitting with less authority (hard contact rate is down about 5 percentage points while medium contact rate is up about percentage points). He had the concussion, that certainly might play into it.
    A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.
    - Salman Rushdie

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    óGreg King

REPORT MISOGYNISTIC POSTS

*Thread deleted by PSD - apparently PSD's stance on misogyny isn't a topic they want to discuss. With good reason, it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Joc has been a good to very good hitter over his shortish major league career - 116 wRC+, .200+ ISOs. Yes, lots of K's - though this year has been, by far his lowest K-rate. He's shown improvement in his contact rate.

So a couple of questions
    1) Why do we think that Pederson needs to make significant changes?
    2) What is different this year from previous years? He is making more contact, he's also hitting more balls on the ground, and may be hitting with less authority (hard contact rate is down about 5 percentage points while medium contact rate is up about percentage points). He had the concussion, that certainly might play into it.
    There's certainly the possibility that he's being pitched differently, which is something I admittedly haven't verified.

There's also the possibility that he's become less patient as suggested by his decrease in K and BB rates.

However, my agreement with DBlue's assessment is ingrained in the fact that my opinion on his swing has never changed.

Since his showing in his first September call up I've been hopeful, but never confident that he would maintain success at the big league level. Last year, he was absolutely fantastic. But a swing that violent lends itself to lots of holes.

On numerous occasions, I've made the natural comparison between he and Bellinger and detailed why I took a contrary stance on Bellinger.

When I say Joc has an all or nothing swing, I mean that it is long and violent, and he seems incapable of getting much power when he shortens up with his back elbow and doesn't get full extension. This makes good contact incredibly hard to sustain. It's very easy to get on top of offspeed and sink action stuff, and very easy to get under a good rising fastball.

Bellinger, on the other hand, has a violent swing whether is got full extinsion or not, and most of it is done with the orbital motion of his trunk and swing path. Literally any pitch near the zone is at risk of leaving the park.

And yes, a concunsion could certainly have a nasty lingering effect on Joc as well.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; Yesterday at 01:43 PM.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354