Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I know this is two years out, but the 2018 offseason looks fantastic.

Chief among the FAs in that class is our very own CK, along with both Machado and Harper. Also available in that offseason will be the likes of AJ Pollack, Josh Donaldson, David Price, and many more - it is absolutely loaded.

I believe by the end of that offseason the Dodgers will have re-signed CK and will also have brought in Bryce Harper. Hell, they may also even make a run at Machado, though I don't imagine the Yankees allowing the Dodgers to bully everyone, and they will have a lot of money as well.

As is, the Dodgers have roughly $107m on the books for 2019 which already includes $35m to Kershaw. I also believe it will be only the first year of arbitration eligibility for Seager and Urias, with Bellinger not hitting it until the following year.

Both AGon and Puig become free agents at the end of 2018, freeing up two lineup spots - assuming they both are still everyday players next season - and also roughly $30m. Grandal also becomes a free agent.

It may seem like a utopian dream, but it's at least possible the Dodgers are already preparing for that offseason. If they could pull in both Machado and Harper, move Turner to 1B, and leave Bellinger in the OF until the end of JT's contract, the. We would like something like the following...

Seager - SS/3B
    Turner - 1B
    Harper - RF
    Machado - 3B/SS
    Bellinger - LF
    Calhoun - 2B
    Barnes/Smith - C
    Verdugo - CF

Obviously not likely, but while some of you are likely thinking there's no way this FO spends that kind of money on FAs, I'd argue these are exactly the kind of FAs this FO would spend that kind of money on. Both have hall of fame potential and will be heading into just their age 26 seasons.

Also of note, in 2020, the Dodgers have only $88m on the books which also includes $35m for CK.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I know this is two years out, but the 2018 offseason looks fantastic.

Chief among the FAs in that class is our very own CK, along with both Machado and Harper. Also available in that offseason will be the likes of AJ Pollack, Josh Donaldson, David Price, and many more - it is absolutely loaded.

I believe by the end of that offseason the Dodgers will have re-signed CK and will also have brought in Bryce Harper. Hell, they may also even make a run at Machado, though I don't imagine the Yankees allowing the Dodgers to bully everyone, and they will have a lot of money as well.

As is, the Dodgers have roughly $107m on the books for 2019 which already includes $35m to Kershaw. I also believe it will be only the first year of arbitration eligibility for Seager and Urias, with Bellinger not hitting it until the following year.

Both AGon and Puig become free agents at the end of 2018, freeing up two lineup spots - assuming they both are still everyday players next season - and also roughly $30m. Grandal also becomes a free agent.

It may seem like a utopian dream, but it's at least possible the Dodgers are already preparing for that offseason. If they could pull in both Machado and Harper, move Turner to 1B, and leave Bellinger in the OF until the end of JT's contract, the. We would like something like the following...

Seager - SS/3B
    Turner - 1B
    Harper - RF
    Machado - 3B/SS
    Bellinger - LF
    Calhoun - 2B
    Barnes/Smith - C
    Verdugo - CF

Obviously not likely, but while some of you are likely thinking there's no way this FO spends that kind of money on FAs, I'd argue these are exactly the kind of FAs this FO would spend that kind of money on. Both have hall of fame potential and will be heading into just their age 26 seasons.

Also of note, in 2020, the Dodgers have only $88m on the books which also includes $35m for CK.
    I think they will make a serious run at Harper but not sign Machado. It will be very interesting to see what the club looks like after that offseason. Obviously Seager and hopefully Bellinger will be on this club after next year. I also could see them looking at Josh Harrison (31 yo after 2018 season) for second base if Calhoun or Taylor is not seen as the long term fit for 2nd by the FO. I would still like to see Yaz at the backstop as well as I think he is proving to be a pretty good catcher for us and I am not yet convinced Barnes can be that long term fit for us. I am also fine with playing JT at 3rd and letting Bellinger man his natural position at first base. I have my eye on Nolan Arrenado in the 2019-2020 offseason which will be JTs final year of his deal. As for the outfield, I would be shocked if weren't players for Bryce Harper but he is going to command a ridiculous contract and his annual salary will be monster with 2 more slots to fill in the outfield. Also I would look at Adam Jones on a short term deal who will be 33 at that time for center or left and also a free agent at that time, and let Verdugo man whatever spot is remaining CF or LF depending if Jones can still play center effectively by then. My lineup looks like this I guess

Harrison/Taylor/Calhoun (2b) 15 mil/500k for calhoun
    Seager (SS) arbitration
    Harper (RF) 40 mil per
    Bellinger (1B) 500k-600k
    Jones (CF/LF) 20 mil per
    JT (3B) 16 mil
    Grandal (C)16 mil (just a guess)
    Verdugo (CF/LF) 500k
    SP

Total annual salary: roughly 110 mil. Subtract 15 mil for Harrison if we go with Calhoun or Taylor for 2b.

That seems like a WS caliber offense right there. Also, I would switch Jones and Calhoun in our lineup if we had Calhoun starting at 2b instead of Harrison or Taylor by then.
    Last edited by D Blue987; 05-21-2017 at 08:48 PM.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...n-trade/371998
    So it appears the dodgers haven't been incontact with the brewers since last August and even then.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Dodgers have had “no serious talk” about Braun since last year. And even last year, Heyman says a deal between L.A. and the Milwaukee Brewers “didn’t come as close to happening as it was portrayed.”

In summary, Jon Heyman said some vague stuff that didn't directly refute the specifics of any prior reports.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by D Blue987 View Post
    I think they will make a serious run at Harper but not sign Machado. It will be very interesting to see what the club looks like after that offseason. Obviously Seager and hopefully Bellinger will be on this club after next year. I also could see them looking at Josh Harrison (31 yo after 2018 season) for second base if Calhoun or Taylor is not seen as the long term fit for 2nd by the FO. I would still like to see Yaz at the backstop as well as I think he is proving to be a pretty good catcher for us and I am not yet convinced Barnes can be that long term fit for us. I am also fine with playing JT at 3rd and letting Bellinger man his natural position at first base. I have my eye on Nolan Arrenado in the 2019-2020 offseason which will be JTs final year of his deal. As for the outfield, I would be shocked if weren't players for Bryce Harper but he is going to command a ridiculous contract and his annual salary will be monster with 2 more slots to fill in the outfield. Also I would look at Adam Jones on a short term deal who will be 33 at that time for center or left and also a free agent at that time, and let Verdugo man whatever spot is remaining CF or LF depending if Jones can still play center effectively by then. My lineup looks like this I guess

Harrison/Taylor/Calhoun (2b) 15 mil/500k for calhoun
    Seager (SS) arbitration
    Harper (RF) 40 mil per
    Bellinger (1B) 500k-600k
    Jones (CF/LF) 20 mil per
    JT (3B) 16 mil
    Grandal (C)16 mil (just a guess)
    Verdugo (CF/LF) 500k
    SP

Total annual salary: roughly 110 mil. Subtract 15 mil for Harrison if we go with Calhoun or Taylor for 2b.

That seems like a WS caliber offense right there. Also, I would switch Jones and Calhoun in our lineup if we had Calhoun starting at 2b instead of Harrison or Taylor by then.

Both players are very comparable and similar in many ways. I think there's three things that put Machado ahead for me.

The first and primary is that Machado is almost a full year younger, and is hitting FA a year earlier which means we get two more years of prime Machado.

The next two are really splitting hairs...

Second is that Arenado's numbers are superior, but I do worry about his home/away spilts. Machado has similar splits but, for all the talk about Camden Yard being a hitters ballpark, it's actually been fairly neutral. I feel like his bat would transition better to a new home field.

Thirdly, Arenado is great defensively, but Machado is jaw dropping.

In either case, I wouldn't think twice about taking either of them; "yes please".
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post

Both players are very comparable and similar in many ways. I think there's three things that put Machado ahead for me.

The first and primary is that Machado is almost a full year younger, and is hitting FA a year earlier which means we get two more years of prime Machado.

The next two are really splitting hairs...

Second is that Arenado's numbers are superior, but I do worry about his home/away spilts. Machado has similar splits but, for all the talk about Camden Yard being a hitters ballpark, it's actually been fairly neutral. I feel like his bat would transition better to a new home field.

Thirdly, Arenado is great defensively, but Machado is jaw dropping.

In either case, I wouldn't think twice about taking either of them; "yes please".
    Machado is jaw dropping defensively your right. I guess for me it comes down to price tag and what either of Harper or Machado are demanding. Assuming both are asking for 400 mil lifetime contracts as that number has been floated around frequently, I have to go with Harper because at his best, he has MVP caliber offensive potential. I don't know that I would ever offer any player 400 mil to play baseball though if I am a GM but I definitely see both guys being in the market for 300 mil+ deals at least like Stanton got. I just think at some point stupidity needs to stop no matter how talented the player is and teams need to realize how much of a hamper it puts on their payroll and how risky it can be if the player has a career damaging injury, PEDS, etc..
    Last edited by D Blue987; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123