Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 367
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,811

    Off Season thread--what we should do to improve our team

    Well the season is over--regardless of if we were "suppose" end up or not it's always a disappointment not winning it all. And so the debate begins.
    Who should go?
    Who should stay?
    Who do we go after?
    Who do we lose in the expansion draft?
    Etc....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    56
    In a perfect world:
    - Trade/Buyout Staal
    - Trade one of Holden or Klein
    - Sign Smith
    - Sign Shattenkirk
    - Elect to protect Lindberg rather than Stepan

    Kovalchuk, assuming he comes back to the NHL, has expressed a desire to play in NYC or Florida. Would you be opposed to going after him? Do we have the assets and cap space to pry him away from the Devils?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,811
    I think we'll be up against the cap again this year so Stepan will have to be moved in order to fix our defense. Maybe Stepan to Arizona for Conor Murphy and a prospect such as Dylan Strome, Chris Fischer or Chris Dvorak.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    2,088
    We need to re-evaluate who are really the stars of this team, and we need to stop overrating our guys.
    We have a LOT of B and B- level guys but 0 A guys. Stephen is a B guy and getting paid like an A guy; so is Nash. We need to slowly start replacing those type of guys who will get us to the playoffs and then fizzle out, because they've topped out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    We need to re-evaluate who are really the stars of this team, and we need to stop overrating our guys.
    We have a LOT of B and B- level guys but 0 A guys. Stephen is a B guy and getting paid like an A guy; so is Nash. We need to slowly start replacing those type of guys who will get us to the playoffs and then fizzle out, because they've topped out.
    I see what you are saying but Stepan is being paid like a b level guy, the a level guys are close to 10 million now. Nash is are little closer to that but still not paid like are Crosby or Toews.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    To me if our game is speed then Stepan, Hayes, Staal, Holden and Girardi don't fit on this team. Nothing against Hayes but he's a square peg in a round hole.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    I know this is a bit of a gamble and not likely to happen but how about a Stepan for Galchenyuk trade. He seems to have been the whipping boy in mtl. Him Kreider and Buchnevich might make a nice line some day

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,811
    I keeping going no back to the lefty-righty thing. We need more rightys on our team. I would seriously over pay to get Nylander from Toronto. Stepan, Hayes and a prospect. Then use the Stepan money to go after Oshie.

    Just off the top of my head:
    Kreider--Zibenajad--Buchnevich/Zuccarello
    Nash--Miller --Oshie
    Vesey--Nylander--Zuccarello/Buchnevich
    Grabner--Lindberg--Fast

    Tho' I think Lindberg has proven himself enough to warrant being made our 3rd line center. Nieves could be used as the 4th line center, moving Nylander to the 1st line should Grabner be drafted.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 05-11-2017 at 06:16 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,811
    I would seriously consider asking Staal to waive his no-trade clause and move him for a contract I can bury in Hartford rather than buy him out and have his dead cap count against us--someone along the lines of Nathan Horton or Kari Lehitonen. Or even giving Las Vegas a draft pick for selecting him in the draft.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 05-11-2017 at 06:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    I keeping going no back to the lefty-righty thing. We need more rightys on our team. I would seriously over pay to get Nylander from Toronto. Stepan, Hayes and a prospect. Then use the Stepan money to go after Oshie.

    Just off the top of my head:
    Kreider--Zibenajad--Buchnevich/Zuccarello
    Nash--Miller --Oshie
    Vesey--Nylander--Zuccarello/Buchnevich
    Grabner--Lindberg--Fast

    Tho' I think Lindberg has proven himself enough to warrant being made our 3rd line center. Nieves could be used as the 4th line center, moving Nylander to the 1st line should Grabner be drafted.
    Only problem is that Toronto is pretty loaded at center already and they have Nylander playing wing because of it. I agree that Lindberg should be a 3 center but in no way can I see Miller as a 2 center (right now).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,811
    For a team that was loaded at the center position, it didn't stop them from acquiring Boyle at the deadline. But if you're gonna go along with their roster as it stands for next year then they could certainly use defensemen.

    Miller ended up having 56 pts to Stepan 55 pts while playing over 2 min. less per game. Not to mention he had 6 GWG to Stepans 2. So if Stepan was our #1 last year putting Miller in as the #2 isn't far fetched.

    Also, I remember reading somewhere that Robin Kovacs played/trained with the Nylander brothers under the tutlidge of their dad. So we could be looking at an all Swedish line of Kovacs--Nylander--Stromvall in the very near future should we be able to somehow acquire Nylander.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 05-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    365
    I was thinking a guy like Kassian would be a good fit as a Tanner Glass replacement. He put up 24 points in 79 games for Edmonton this year. He's brings a bit of an edge to the fourth line without completely sacrificing skill. And he played for AV in Vancouver, but then I saw the article posted in the other thread about how it wasn't exactly the best relationship between the two. I would really like a guy like that.

    I think if Grabner or Fast gets taken by Vegas, I'd love to have Stahlberg back. Because I think he plays a very similar game. I don't think you're gunna get 27 goals out of him, but I'm not so sure you get that from Grabner next year either. There's a reason he's playing on the contract he has, and that's a lack of consistency from a production standpoint.

    I think we need to make a big trade to get another stud defenseman. Maybe a young guy that's fallen out of favor but has a ton of potential like Burns did in Minnesota and Seguin did in Boston. I'm thinking maybe Trouba or Hamilton. Drouin is another guy that comes to mind although he's not a defenseman.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    I was thinking a guy like Kassian would be a good fit as a Tanner Glass replacement. He put up 24 points in 79 games for Edmonton this year. He's brings a bit of an edge to the fourth line without completely sacrificing skill. And he played for AV in Vancouver, but then I saw the article posted in the other thread about how it wasn't exactly the best relationship between the two. I would really like a guy like that.

    I think if Grabner or Fast gets taken by Vegas, I'd love to have Stahlberg back. Because I think he plays a very similar game. I don't think you're gunna get 27 goals out of him, but I'm not so sure you get that from Grabner next year either. There's a reason he's playing on the contract he has, and that's a lack of consistency from a production standpoint.

    I think we need to make a big trade to get another stud defenseman. Maybe a young guy that's fallen out of favor but has a ton of potential like Burns did in Minnesota and Seguin did in Boston. I'm thinking maybe Trouba or Hamilton. Drouin is another guy that comes to mind although he's not a defenseman.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would love you get Drouin but looking at what st.Louis cost us I don't know that we can afford to trade for him. But he would be a huge asset for this team to play with Zuccarello and Kreider.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    For a team that was loaded at the center position, it didn't stop them from acquiring Boyle at the deadline. But if you're gonna go along with their roster as it stands for next year then they could certainly use defensemen.

    Miller ended up having 56 pts to Stepan 55 pts while playing over 2 min. less per game. Not to mention he had 6 GWG to Stepans 2. So if Stepan was our #1 last year putting Miller in as the #2 isn't far fetched.

    Also, I remember reading somewhere that Robin Kovacs played/trained with the Nylander brothers under the tutlidge of their dad. So we could be looking at an all Swedish line of Kovacs--Nylander--Stromvall in the very near future should we be able to somehow acquire Nylander.
    I don't doubt Miller could be that guy some day. Right now though he's had his share of mental lapses and bad turnovers, something Stepan rarely does. I'm not saying Stepan is great by any means but he typically gets the harder matchups than so the point comparison is tough to gage. Also, I think Zibanejad is now our #1 center, Stepan #2. I see what you are saying and i kinda wish they would try Miller at center and move Stepan to the wing, I always thought he'd make a better winger.
    Last edited by bsi; 05-12-2017 at 11:52 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,811
    We have to trust the develoment, but I think it's safe to say that a lot people think JT Miller will be better than Stepan. Enough so that Miller was on the USA hockey under 17, the under 18, and the development teams --shows how much/many scouts and pro hockey people thought of him, his skill level. While Stepan couldn't make Shattenkirk/St.Marys varsity team till his junior year and that's with having a father that played professional hockey--you would figure he'd have the upper had as far as development.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •