Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Off-Season Thread- "Need a culture reset"

I figure we should have an off season thread. I know we have the Casey thread but there is a lot to talk about with this team. This will be a big off season

Masai's Presser was eye opening.

I know there are some quotes already posted but if anyone wants to watch it in full, the Raptors have it posted on their YouTube channel.
    Last edited by aman_13; 05-09-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

My rough notes on the presser:

Masai does not care for just making the playoffs. He says that's in the past. He wants to win in the playoffs.

He wants his team to become elite and ponders how to get to that point.

He talks about the style of play and says we have tried it many times and it hasn't worked. He acknowledged that it has got them to a good place. They will definitely evaluate and figure out how to change what they are doing.

He also says he's not afraid to go backwards in order to go forward. Will consider all scenarios.

He says it will be difficult for him to keep changing players because of how the CBA is constructed.

He is questioning player moves and wonders if he made the right decisions.

He says the Cavs were able to turn it up in the playoffs and have to figure out how to do that themselves. He felt the Raptors were wide eyed in that series. Wants to know why they were like that.

He also wants to know why they their wasn't enough fight in the Cavs series until that last game.

Does not see the Ibaka trade any different. Is more concerned about style of play and wonders how to change the longs 2s into 3s.

Wants to figure out a way to pass the ball more.

They talked to Jonas about how he can adjust to this modern style.

He's not afraid to play a unique style that is different from other teams.

Kyle, DeMar and Ibaka only playing a handful of games together makes evaluation harder.

Says this was a healing yr for Carroll and that this is a big summer for him. Needs to get back to where he was. They are confident he will.

Even before this yr, they wondered if this style of play was going to work in the playoffs. They questioned the predictability. Ex. One one one, dribbling a lot..

Says DeMar is capable of adapting and has shown it. Needs to work on his 3 point shot and believes he will.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Sounds to me Derozan is staying.. and they will retool around him.

I get the feeling both Casey and Lowry will be gone.

No idea what he does with Ibaka. But I bring him back for his 3s and shot blocking. No other player excells at both of those skill sets and you gave up a pick and Ross to get him..

He needs to give up on Carroll already. How many years does this guy need to heal?

I'd be looking to trade Jonas but it seems he isn't ready to give up on him either

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson:31618134
    Sounds to me Derozan is staying.. and they will retool around him.

I get the feeling both Casey and Lowry will be gone.

No idea what he does with Ibaka. But I bring him back for his 3s and shot blocking. No other player excells at both of those skill sets and you gave up a pick and Ross to get him..

He needs to give up on Carroll already. How many years does this guy need to heal?

I'd be looking to trade Jonas but it seems he isn't ready to give up on him either
    Yeah i think he's just defending himself in regards to Carroll.

I guess the big take away is that we might finally see this team play a style every poster has wanted for yrs lol.

Well if he wants to change the culture, it has to be Lowry or Casey.

Masai was posed that question and he felt that it didn't have to be one or the other and them butting heads might be a good thing.

I think he'll keep Casey for 1 more season and try to resign Lowry, but I can't see how you can effectively change a culture and style of play with the same foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ:31618753
    I think he'll keep Casey for 1 more season and try to resign Lowry, but I can't see how you can effectively change a culture and style of play with the same foundation.
    Yeah I don't either.

I'm not an expert but change starts with your leaders man point blank! Im talking about the guys who won't give up the ****ing rock and that's derozan and Lowry. Derozan has two major flaws and the disturbing thing that no one talks about is that he states his main concern was to figure out a way to get others involved. Well that's a given and that's nothing to do with your natural abilitys or talent. He needs to ****ing work on his defensive iq and more importantly learn to hit a three man. Like this is terrible. Passing a rock is the least of my worries because that's a simple choice called not being greedy.

What about Griffin? He doesn't sound realistic but he would change the style of play on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenfidish:31618761
    I'm not an expert but change starts with your leaders man point blank! Im talking about the guys who won't give up the ****ing rock and that's derozan and Lowry. Derozan has two major flaws and the disturbing thing that no one talks about is that he states his main concern was to figure out a way to get others involved. Well that's a given and that's nothing to do with your natural abilitys or talent. He needs to ****ing work on his defensive iq and more importantly learn to hit a three man. Like this is terrible. Passing a rock is the least of my worries because that's a simple choice called not being greedy.
    He has got better as a playmaker and he did say he wants to focus on his playmaking this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    He has got better as a playmaker and he did say he wants to focus on his playmaking this off season.
    Yes I understand he got slightly better on play making but still has a long way to go. They talk about culture change and Caseys plays not working. Well one of the key factors it's not working has to do with derozan same play every time one on one everyone move out of the way. So predictable.

Aman im more concern about his one on one on the other end. When is that going to improve above average? 26-30 million dollar player needs no help imo on defense. Mano a mano it's not cutting it out for me and more so his poor 3 point shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenfidish:31618776

Yes I understand he got slightly better on play making but still has a long way to go. They talk about culture change and Caseys plays not working. Well one of the key factors it's not working has to do with derozan same play every time one on one everyone move out of the way. So predictable.

Aman im more concern about his one on one on the other end. When is that going to improve above average? 26-30 million dollar player needs no help imo on defense. Mano a mano it's not cutting it out for me and more so his poor 3 point shots.
    I've lost hope for the other end lol

I've lost hope for the other end lol
    Lol..

What about Griffin? He doesn't sound realistic but he would change the style of play on his own.
    cant afford

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast