Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

The Official 2017 Off-season (Free Agents/Trade Ideas) Thread

I think it's time to start a new thread for our off-season shtuff.

I know that some of you don't think Deron would be good, but Shelvin Mack was.....ugh...

I would take Deron over Mack if the salaries were the same, and I suspect they're going to be similar.

I'm not ready to give up on Hood just yet either, some people have been bagging on him during the post play, but I still think he has just a tad of improvement, he can definitely become more consistent as he gets older.

When will Hayward be able to sign? I think that is the first thing we need to do. If Hayward leaves, I think Deron would be a waste since we would probably be back in the lottery.

Hood was a little disappointing but he's always had health issues. I'm not sure what to think of Hill and Favors as they have been injured pretty much the whole season.

I do believe July 1st is first day of free agency.

I found out today that the luxury cap is actually going to be 112 million. The soft cap is 103 million. So we'll easily be able to sign Hayward and Ingles and still keep Diaw. We won't be able to sign Hill unless we get rid of money. And Honestly, the odd man out is Burks. We NEED to find someone that will offload his remaining 2 years for us.

And I'm 100% positive that the 76ers will be more than happy to oblige. If we offer a first round and second round for trading for cash. If we do that than we would be able to afford Hill as well.

the next question though, do we really want to sign Hill for around 20 million a year? That's what people are projecting for him right now. I think Deron Williams would be a better prospect for us. I liked what I saw out of Exum and I would say lets put it on Deron and Exum with Raul as a backup. I think that would be fine for us. THEN we would be under the lux tax for the next few years to come and we can still hold onto Favors one more year and re-negotiate his contract next year. (which will probably be cheaper by about half)

I want nothing to do with Hill. I'm done with that guy. I want to go after Jeff Teague. He's a much more explosive offensive player than Hill and I think that's something we need is athleticism in the back court...that and health. But as was said earlier, if Hayward goes then I dunno what route we go in.

we can't afford to sign anyone without dumping massive cap

Player(salary or cap Hold)
    Rudy Gobert($21.2)
    FA-Gordon Hayward($25.1)
    Derrick Favors($12)
    Joe Johnsons($10.5)
    Alec Burks($9.9)
    FA-George Hill($12.0)
    Boris Diaw($7.5)-Team Option
    Dante Exum($5.0)
    Trey Lyles($2.4)
    FA-Shelvin Mack($3.6)
    FA-Joe ingles($3.2)
    Rodney Hood($2.4)
    Raul Neto$($1.0)
    Joel Bolomboy($.9)

That gives us 109.2 million if they decline Diaw's option. Obviously they would decline Hill's option if they try to get a different PG, but that only leaves us at 97.2 or about 5 mill in cap space which isn't getting anyone. Its pretty much Hill, Exum, or a trade.

We may need to pay a little luxury tax. I don't mind the Millers spending a few of their billions, especially considering the profit they have made the last few years. If that is what it takes to take the next step forward than we have to do it.

In order to do that though, we would have to do a sign and trade. You can't sign a free agent and go over the initial cap unless you do a mid-level exception or sign for minimum salary. If you already have the player on your roster you can sign someone for as much as you want, but that's what the luxury cap is for. Anything over a certain amount and you'll be charged x amount per dollar over multiplied by the number of years they've been over the cap.

So as Dhop was saying, we can sign-hayward, sign-hill and trade him for another PG somewhere, or keep him.
    But we cannot sign Hayward then sign someone else.

One scenario we CAN do is sign a PG THEN sign Hayward afterwards.

I would like to cancel our contract with Diaw and renegotiate the salary personally. I don't think he's worth over the vet minimum, and we could use that money elsewhere.

I would be throwing Picks at the 76ers to take Burks off our hands. He has 2 more seasons left on his contract and the 76ers can afford him easily. It would be free assets for them. Give them 2 second rounders and a first rounder in the distant future.

Dump Mack, we don't need him, Sign Ingles for around 7 million.

Keep Favors? Still unsure about this one. I really like Favors and if we trade him right now we are trading with a low stock as he was hurt all season (before the season even started). I would like to do an extension on his contract for around 5 million a year if he would take it. I think he would be a GREAT backup for that price.

Assuming we sign Hayward and let our FA's walk, do you guys think there is a chance to make a run at Paul George?

If Hayward leaves and the league is serious about being more competitive, I think at the next CBA, if some teams best player goes to a superteam, the team he went to should be forced to surrender every single first round draft pick they have to his former team for a 10 year period no swaps.

Any chance Tomic could be brought over this year? I think he would be a fantastic backup center for us. He is in his prime and our team is finally competitive, so maybe this is the year he comes over?

Favors is going to be a beast next year. This year he was unhealthy and still shined when given a bigger role. Next year, he needs to focus on his athleticism. But he is one of the best low post threats in the NBA. We shouldn't give him away. We let him get healthy and see what he can do for us at the beginning of next season, and we either keep him or trade him away while his value is high.

Burks is unique. He has a reasonable contract and played pretty well at times last year. He is too aggressive and out of control for our style of play, but I think he could thrive on a team that runs the floor. I would hate to trade him away at the cost of one of our pics. I feel like we have a few trigger happy players who would excel in a more uptempo offense (Exum, Burks, Lyles, etc.). Would be great to setup a second team that can play at that temp and have a little more freedom to get out and run. I feel like if we give up on these players, they are going to go to the right situation and shine.

I don't think Tomic has any desire to play in the US. He likes his money over there in Spain.

Burks has been Waaay too injured and that's debilitating for his stock. He's not a bad player at all when he's healthy, which is what, 10% of the time? I would love to keep him over Exum honestly, if he were healthy. But he's not. So we need the money. And for someone who doesn't play, 10 million is actually quite a bit to pay someone.

I wouldn't say it's giving up on players, but we need to make decisions to continue to grow. Whatever helps our team get better I'm all for. We're already easily in contention with 4th best team in the league. If we continue to improve the next couple years we'll in in contention for titles. (As long as we keep the steady improvements.)

Basically, we have options. Our draft picks will be great bargaining chips. We'll be fine.

the one option I hadn't considered is if Hayward makes an all NBA team he could be on the cap for as little as like 16 million this year. That plus moving someone would create enough space for us to get a serious free agent. However I don't see him making an all NBA team, so its probably not worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    the one option I hadn't considered is if Hayward makes an all NBA team he could be on the cap for as little as like 16 million this year. That plus moving someone would create enough space for us to get a serious free agent. However I don't see him making an all NBA team, so its probably not worth exploring.
    I don't think I fully understand that process. I was under the assumption that if someone makes an all-nba team, they qualify to be paid more money by the team that owns their rights. So in this case, if he makes an all-nba team, we can pay him more than anyone else which hopefully helps him to stay. So if we pay him more, then we have a bigger cap hit correct?

If he does NOT make an all-nba team, I wonder if he would try to sign a 1 year deal in order to try to make an all-nba team next year and then qualify for the bigger raise. 1 year deals have become more popular and if it gives him a chance to see if Utah continues to improve and gives him a chance for more money next year, might be something he looks at doing.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast