Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trade ideas?

No way i give up Diaz for Gordon. I wouldn't mind getting Gordon, since he is a good defender and he's good leadoff option. But his contract is a bit high and I'm a little leery of paying decent money to a player whose primary attribute is speed and who's entering his age 30 season. And he's on the books through his age 32 or 33 season with an option.

I know he's not just going to wake up one morning and not be able to run fast anymore. But such a huge portion of his game is his speed. He's a below average offensive player if you just look at his plate contributions. Where he becomes a valuable asset is because his baserunning and defense are incredibly valuable. Both of those attributes for him are at least in part linked to his speed.

So I'm not against trying to acquire Gordon. And given that it's reported Miami wants to dump payroll, I'm not giving up legit prospects. I'm probably offering them something built around guys who need to be added to the 49 man for rule 5 protection and some lower level prospects. So maybe something like Jacob Nottingham and aaron Wilkerson. Perhaps have Kyle wren as an option as well. All of those guys are okay prospects, but they are all blocked or not major options in the near future.

I also think prospects like Troy stokes, who had a good year this year but is probably lower on our OF depth chart than he would be other teams is another guy I'd be willing to offer. But given the risk associated with Gordon (contract and age), I'm not giving a top level prospect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    No way i give up Diaz for Gordon. I wouldn't mind getting Gordon, since he is a good defender and he's good leadoff option. But his contract is a bit high and I'm a little leery of paying decent money to a player whose primary attribute is speed and who's entering his age 30 season. And he's on the books through his age 32 or 33 season with an option.

I know he's not just going to wake up one morning and not be able to run fast anymore. But such a huge portion of his game is his speed. He's a below average offensive player if you just look at his plate contributions. Where he becomes a valuable asset is because his baserunning and defense are incredibly valuable. Both of those attributes for him are at least in part linked to his speed.

So I'm not against trying to acquire Gordon. And given that it's reported Miami wants to dump payroll, I'm not giving up legit prospects. I'm probably offering them something built around guys who need to be added to the 49 man for rule 5 protection and some lower level prospects. So maybe something like Jacob Nottingham and aaron Wilkerson. Perhaps have Kyle wren as an option as well. All of those guys are okay prospects, but they are all blocked or not major options in the near future.

I also think prospects like Troy stokes, who had a good year this year but is probably lower on our OF depth chart than he would be other teams is another guy I'd be willing to offer. But given the risk associated with Gordon (contract and age), I'm not giving a top level prospect for him.
    Agree 100 percent

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Any chance a guy like Dee Gordon would be available? I would do Villar and a good prospect like Isan Diaz for Dee. He would be a great leadoff guy who doesn't strike out much.

I wouldn't mind a top notch starter but I don't want to give up Brinson and 2 other good prospects to make that happen. I would move Hader to the rotation and go Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Hader, and Suter (Nelson when he comes back.
    It sounds as if Nelson could be out for a decent chunk of time. So I would probably press to get an upgrade from suter. I'm fine trying hader as a starter, because even a good number 3 is more valuable than a dominant reliever in most cases. But I'm not convinced he'll be a great starter. I think his delivery and his whole thing partially relies on deception (he does have great stuff.) So when he starts seeing guys for a 2nd and 3rd time, he's going to need to rely quite a bit more on his breaking stuff, which he has not done a ton. So I'm fine basically giving hader nelson's spot until he's back. And if Nelson isn't back for a couple months, there's a good chance tht injury or ineffectiveness will make room if hader is good.

I recall reading an article that came out the deadline that the Brinson or no deal rumor for gray was a myth. Oakland would have accepted an offer that didn't include Brinson. Tough to say what that would have been, but it's not like we for sure have to include Brinson in a deal this offseason. We may not have a ton of super high end talent outside of Brinson, but we can offer 3-4 legit top 150 or so prospects. Depending who we are getting, there's definitely value in our farm beyond Brinson. And who knows, maybe Phillips has shown enough here that we are semi comfortable giving him a shot at center if Brinson can be part of a package to bring back someone like chris archer.

Braun says the only team he will accept a trade to is the Dodgers. Do the Brewers just keep him or is there some kind of deal they would go for?

I have to imagine braun is a brewer until his contract is done. Unless the NL adds the DH, I don't see a good roster spot in LA for braun. And if the NL added the DH, you could argue it would just make sense for us to keep Braun and DH him.

Maybe the Angels? Upton likely gone. With Trout always in win-now mode might want to make a win-now move.

Maybe he'd change his mind for the angels, but I believe Braun did recently say he'd only accept a trade to the dodgers. So it's probably not worth even discussing trades elsewhere.

The dodgers do have a hole in left if they aren't high on pederson anymore. But I just can't see them taking on his contract, since they have a fairly expensive team as is. Plus, he's still productive, so it's not like we should just give him away.

I think maybe, just maybe if the Dodgers loose the series they say screw it and give the Brewers an offer they can't refuse for Braun.

I could see the Angels getting desperate, I doubt the Dodgers would go after him at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if a team would attempt to swap a bad contract for him but I doubt we would take on anyone who will not help us.

What would it take to get Stanton from Miami (I know we would never land him or even go after him). 5 really good pieces? That contract makes it so hard to determine a price. We could handle his contract for like 3 years and then we would probably be in the same boat Miami is in.

Stanton would hit 100 homers in Miller Park, that would be awesome!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234