Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Yankee trade rumors

Its a little early in the season but the Yanks have been mentioned in 3 trades that i have seen this week.

With the Nationals losing Adam Eaton earlier this week for the season, Olney said they have checked in on Gardy. Gardy isn't worth much, it was suggested the Nats might be willing to part with 2 guys in their 10-20 range. He also said that if we were willing to eat some of his salary this yr we could get a better prospect.

With Hicks of to the start that he is and Frazier lurking in AAA would u guys make this deal even if we just got a couple lottery tickets back? I would love to see Hicks get alot more playing time and it clears more payroll for next yr.

David Schoenfield suggested we should make a deal with the A's for Yonder Alonso since Bird is off to such a horrible start and is now on the DL because of a bone bruise on his ankle which in some cases can take a long time to fully recover. Alonso is off to a very good start with 7hrs already this yr and is a FA at the end of the yr. He suggested that Alonso would only cost us one of our mid tier prospects.

What do you guys think, make the deal to hedge our bets in case that Bird doesn't get back fully or stick with Carter and hope that Bird heals fully and can return to some kind of form he should in STing?

IMO it might not be a bad idea to make that deal so Bird can heal fully and get his confidence back in AAA. Its not like Carter is hitting much better

Apparently the Yanks are actively looking for a LHed reliever because of how poorly Layne and Shreve has pitched so far. No names were attached as far as possibilities just that Cashman is actively looking.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Its a little early in the season but the Yanks have been mentioned in 3 trades that i have seen this week.

With the Nationals losing Adam Eaton earlier this week for the season, Olney said they have checked in on Gardy. Gardy isn't worth much, it was suggested the Nats might be willing to part with 2 guys in their 10-20 range. He also said that if we were willing to eat some of his salary this yr we could get a better prospect.

With Hicks of to the start that he is and Frazier lurking in AAA would u guys make this deal even if we just got a couple lottery tickets back? I would love to see Hicks get alot more playing time and it clears more payroll for next yr.

David Schoenfield suggested we should make a deal with the A's for Yonder Alonso since Bird is off to such a horrible start and is now on the DL because of a bone bruise on his ankle which in some cases can take a long time to fully recover. Alonso is off to a very good start with 7hrs already this yr and is a FA at the end of the yr. He suggested that Alonso would only cost us one of our mid tier prospects.

What do you guys think, make the deal to hedge our bets in case that Bird doesn't get back fully or stick with Carter and hope that Bird heals fully and can return to some kind of form he should in STing?

IMO it might not be a bad idea to make that deal so Bird can heal fully and get his confidence back in AAA. Its not like Carter is hitting much better

Apparently the Yanks are actively looking for a LHed reliever because of how poorly Layne and Shreve has pitched so far. No names were attached as far as possibilities just that Cashman is actively looking.

NO to the Gardner trade. Why would you be willing to trade him for "lottery tickets?" That solves little to nothing. Things are fine as they are for now.

Your second trade idea is NOT a trade rumor. Someone suggesting a trade they'd like to see isn't a trade rumor, nor is there any reason to make such a trade at this time.

I'm sure Cashman is always actively looking for players. While I agree Layne has been bad so far, Shreve has only been in 3 games and didn't do all that bad. Id be surprised if there isn't a lefty somewhere in the minors that could do better than Layne without having to make a shot in the dark trade.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

RUMOR thread in early may ? ha ha I love rumors

how bout a nice juicy TOR rumor ;-)

I like gardy but I like the idea of moving on better

tough call on bird, Bcash knows but how sure are we the that

bird is on the DL totally because of his ankle and not partially the ankle plus

a perfect chance to let his head clear and then grab some minor league AB's, call it rehab

vs a demotion

I don't know the farm like most of you guys do

but yeah if it's a long term DL stint

and we don't have anyone close to ready we have to consider bringing some one in short term

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    NO to the Gardner trade. Why would you be willing to trade him for "lottery tickets?" That solves little to nothing. Things are fine as they are for now.

Your second trade idea is NOT a trade rumor. Someone suggesting a trade they'd like to see isn't a trade rumor, nor is there any reason to make such a trade at this time.

I'm sure Cashman is always actively looking for players. While I agree Layne has been bad so far, Shreve has only been in 3 games and didn't do all that bad. Id be surprised if there isn't a lefty somewhere in the minors that could do better than Layne without having to make a shot in the dark trade.
    Moving Gardner would be more about opening up Lf so Hicks could get more playing time. Hicks has been very very good on both sides of the ball this yr and so far this yr has been the far superior player to Gardy. Moving Gardy would also clear the way for when Frazier is ready. Also it would save us 26m over the next 2 yrs and would help with getting under the luxury tax threshold. Gardy is 33 and clearly not the player he was a few yr's ago so whats he really worth. Were not going to get a top prospect for him and when you factor in it would open up the position so Hicks could play everyday until Frazier is ready IMO that would be a huge upgrade for us plus save us a significant amount of money. Getting a couple of young high ceiling lottery tickets for Gardy wouldn't be a bad deal for us

I clearly stated that the 2nd trade idea was a purposed idea from a analyst. When your getting close to zero production from 1st base like we have so far and your starter is on the DL with an injury that can linger for a long time it is exactly the time to have a discussion and possibly making a move now. The idea is about possibly hedging our bets and getting another option for 1st base in case that it takes Bird longer to heal and find his swing again. Not rushing Bird back and giving him sometime at AAA to find his swing and confidence could pay big dividends in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripezac View Post

RUMOR thread in early may ? ha ha I love rumors

how bout a nice juicy TOR rumor ;-)

I like gardy but I like the idea of moving on better

tough call on bird, Bcash knows but how sure are we the that

bird is on the DL totally because of his ankle and not partially the ankle plus

a perfect chance to let his head clear and then grab some minor league AB's, call it rehab

vs a demotion

I don't know the farm like most of you guys do

but yeah if it's a long term DL stint

and we don't have anyone close to ready we have to consider bringing some one in short term
    We really don't have any other good options for 1st base in our system. Tyler Austin could have been an in house option but he got hurt and hasn't even resumed baseball activities. IMO even if Bird isn't on the DL for a long time with as off as his swing was I think letting him work in AAA to get his swing and confidence back could pay big dividends down the road. IMO it should be far easier for him to find his swing and confidence back facing minor league pitching vs trying to do the same thing against MLB pitchers. If we could get Alonso or someone similar without having to give up a top prospect its definately an idea to strongly consider IMO

I'm torn on trading Gardy. I want to in the offseason for sure but we're competing and moving a good player for a couple mid level prospects isn't a competing move. On the other hand we have Frazier/Fowler knocking on the door plus Hicks playing well so even though it's a "sellers move" on paper it could end up making us better even in the short-term depending on how those prospects play.

In terms of money, I'd prioritize the savings for next year. I'd be willing to eat all of this year if it meant saving all the money next year because that's when we can get under the luxury tax. Clearing off all of Gardner's $11M on the luxury tax bill would be huge and definitely something that should be a goal. We have the prospects to justify it but I'm just not sure it's the right move right now.

At 1B I really want Bird to get back to form but he's been pretty terrible and his injury could be something that lingers. We have to consider a move to improve 1B. We have Holiday, Sanchez, Judge and even Castro with power from the right side but we really need some juice from the left. Didi and Headley isn't really an intimidating left handed power duo. I wouldn't give up top assets but if we can improve there I'd definitely look into it.

A left handed reliever I feel is an obvious need and something we should easily be able to at least add competition for.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Tommy Layne to Cleveland for Andrew Miller would be a good trade. Wonder if Cleveland would do it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.220/.260/.382
    A-BOMBS: 8
    RBI:28

Chris asks: So if the Pirates do make Gerrit Cole available at the deadline, are we in and at what cost? He’s got 2 years of control left so his value is probably at its highest if he is preforming well at the deadline.

The Pirates are in last place in the NL Central at 12-15 with a -17 run differential, and they’re going to be without Starling Marte, their best player, for a few months. They’re pretty screwed. It’s still early enough in the season that they can climb out of it, but yeah. The Pirates are in trouble. They went 78-83 last year and nothing seems to be better this time around.

Cole can become a free agent after the 2019 season, so get him at the deadline and you’re getting three postseason runs out of him, not just two. He’s the kind of pitcher I think the Yankees would be willing to trade top prospects to acquire. Cole is young (26), really good (3.10 ERA and 3.00 FIP last three years), and not a rental. I can’t imagine the whole 2008 draft thing will be an issue. Holding a grudge helps no one. If the Pirates make Cole available, there will be a lot of competition for him, but the Yankees definitely have the pieces to make a substantial offer.
    This was a question sent into RAB earlier.

This is the type of trade I could get behind. A young and great, controllable pitcher. Cole would be a guy I'd trade some top prospects for. Obviously this is just speculation though.

It's tough to trade Gardner while the team is doing so well. It takes a lot of guts to do it. I like the idea of not picking up any money for next year. If we could do that for Ellsbury, I'd gladly pay the rest of his salary.

^^^ cole is the exact type of player the should target. it also helps that we have had excellent trade relationship with the Pirates. its gonna cost a ton to get him though. If we could build a package around Frazier, Mateo, Romine and maybe a pitcher or 2 id make the deal. To me Torres, Abreau are completely off limits and to a lesser extent Adams and Sheff. We have the prospects to get a deal done Im just not completely sold that Cash will be willing to give up that much futue;

I've said in the past under no circumstances do you trade Sanchez or Judge. Now that we traded for Torres Frazier and Sheffield, I'll say the same thing about those three players. Anyone else is fair game, including Mateo, though I'd love to be able to keep him too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I've said in the past under no circumstances do you trade Sanchez or Judge. Now that we traded for Torres Frazier and Sheffield, I'll say the same thing about those three players. Anyone else is fair game, including Mateo, though I'd love to be able to keep him too.
    i absolutely agree with u about Sanchez Judge and Torres as far as position players. I don't have the same conviction on Frazier though, especially with Rutherford and the other very highly regarded OF prospects we have. If the right guy came along like a Gerrit Cole i wouldn't be apposed to including Frazier to get the deal done.

As far as pitchers go i wouldn't trade Sheffield or Abreau. Abreau has some of the best stuff in the minors, he's throwing 97-100 with good movement and control and has 3 above average to plus secondary pitches. I wouldn't trade a guy with a realistic #1 ceiling. Before Kap got hurt i would have include him in the untouchable group with Sheffield and Abreau but we'll have to see how his stuff comes back. I also really like Adams but again for the right guy i would be ok including him.

After all these yrs with a average farm system its so great that we have all these incredible young players and elite prospects

Speaking of Gerrit Cole, ESPN has an article up that suggest that we may very well pursue Cole before the deadline. The Pirates are in last place, Marte is suspended for 90 games and they have actively been talking about a rebuild. They sourced an executive from another team about what he thought would be the asking price for Cole, he suggested a package headlined by Frazier and Sheffield for Cole.

Cole is 26 and has a 3.25 era over the last 4 yrs, we would have him under contract for the next 2 and a half yrs so he wouldn't be anywhere close to a rental. He's making 3.75M and is arbitration eligible for the next 2 yrs, so he wouldn't be incredibly expensive next yr when were trying to get under the luxury tax and would be great insurance for us if Tanaka opts out.

For a guy like Cole i can see moving Frazier, especially with the other OF prospects we have in the system but i'm not crazy about the idea of trading such a promising young lefty like Sheffield. So what do you guys think would u make a trade for Cole headlined by a package of Frazier and Sheffield. Cole is the exact kind of player u make a big deal for and sometimes thats the best use for prospects. I'd make the deal but i'd try like hell to switch Sheffield for other players. Maybe Frazier, Mateo and Acevedo?? Cole would be a hell of an upgrade and give us another young legit ace and probably the inside track on resigning him, it doesn't hurt our chances that he' and his family have been life long Yankees fans and that he has said multiple time before he was drafted by the Pirates that it was his dream to play for the Yankees someday

Tanaka, Cole and Otani would be a hell of a front 3 even just 2 of them would be an impressive 1-2

Archer!

Would love Cole. Not for both Frazier and Sheffield tho. Frazier is fine, I have zero faith in him becomming anything. But I think Sheff can be special.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.220/.260/.382
    A-BOMBS: 8
    RBI:28

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    i absolutely agree with u about Sanchez Judge and Torres as far as position players. I don't have the same conviction on Frazier though, especially with Rutherford and the other very highly regarded OF prospects we have. If the right guy came along like a Gerrit Cole i wouldn't be apposed to including Frazier to get the deal done.

As far as pitchers go i wouldn't trade Sheffield or Abreau. Abreau has some of the best stuff in the minors, he's throwing 97-100 with good movement and control and has 3 above average to plus secondary pitches. I wouldn't trade a guy with a realistic #1 ceiling. Before Kap got hurt i would have include him in the untouchable group with Sheffield and Abreau but we'll have to see how his stuff comes back. I also really like Adams but again for the right guy i would be ok including him.

After all these yrs with a average farm system its so great that we have all these incredible young players and elite prospects
    Judge was potentially the next Giancarlo Stanton and everybody wanted to trade him. Now, he should be untouchable. Frazier's bat speed is phenomenal and he has drawn comparison to the next Mike Trout and everybody wants to trade him. Both struggle a bit at each level until something clicks. It would be hard to trade Frazier, but I agree with you that it is even harder to trade Sheffield, since we are loaded with outfielders and need homegrown pitchers, especially Sheffield, who would be the lefty to replace Sabathia.

The Pirates love Yankees players, so they might not undervalue them which is a good thing. It also depends on what they want and whether they want any players who are ready to step in to the major leagues. The team won 98 games 2 years ago and now might or might not be in a major rebuild. If so, maybe they'd take Sessa or Green or both as part of a package, so that the Yankees can keep Sheffield and Abreu. After all, they love Nova.

Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast