Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 328
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    19,736

    Stafford contract talks

    Mike Florio, PFT:

    On the surface, Wednesday’s comment from Lions G.M. Bob Quinn that the franchise and its franchise quarterback are in the “early stages” of contract talks seems like news. But it’s not really new news.

    Quinn said the same thing last month.

    “We’re in the very early stages of talking to Matthew and his representatives,” Quinn said in the middle of April regarding talks that actually began in February at the Scouting Combine. The only arguable difference? The “very” has been removed from “early stages.”

    Regardless of where things currently stand, here’s where they’re heading: Toward a franchise tag of $26.4 million in 2018, if a deal isn’t done before then.

    Although Stafford will be making a Glennonesque $16.5 million in 2017, Stafford’s cap number sits at $22 million for this year, which entitles him to a 20-percent raise via the tag in 2018. Ditto for 2019, when he’d be due to make $31.698 million. So if a new deal isn’t done before Stafford completes his current contract and shifts the injury risk back to the team, Stafford should expect $58 million fully guaranteed over the following two seasons as part of a long-term deal.

    Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins has provided to all other players a clear example of what quarterbacks can do if they’re willing to go year to year. For Stafford, a year-to-year approach means $26.4 million in 2018 then $31.698 million in 2019 and then either a 44-percent raise for a third tag ($45.64 million) or a 20-percent raise for the transition tag ($38 million) or Stafford hits the market unfettered and unrestricted in 2021.

    If the Lions want to avoid that scenario, they need to get out of the “early stages” at some point before the end of the 2017 season.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    19,736
    Some of the comments on the story:

    • I can’t decide if Stafford is the best bad QB in the NFL or the worst good one.

      5-46 vs teams with winning records.

      Stafford > rodgers And its not even debatable!

      He is a QB you can build around

      The Lions stumbling into so many late wins last year really made things difficult for the organization. Now some fans think it was more than an outlier, and they might waste another 5-6 years with Stafford and a franchise-crippling contract instead of moving on.

      The Bears defense had a pathetic 8 INTs kast season which was the worst in the team’s 96 year history.
      Half of those came from Matt Stafford.

      I am not a Lions fan, but I’d take Stafford on my team any day. He is a baller.

      Get rid of Stafford and you end up with a Bears situation. The real problem is Caldwell

      Lions are also stuck in the early stages of a 60 year rebuild with their one playoff win since 1957! Cutler > Stafford

      The beauty of being a rival fan is Stafford is good for one thing and that’s losing games. Their fan base doesn’t care winning either as long as Stafford picks up decent stats.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,639
    How dare they say that about us.
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    10,190
    Pay him and let's move one to Ansah.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Some of the comments on the story:

    • 5-46 vs teams with winning records.

      The Lions stumbling into so many late wins last year really made things difficult for the organization. Now some fans think it was more than an outlier, and they might waste another 5-6 years with Stafford and a franchise-crippling contract instead of moving on.

      The beauty of being a rival fan is Stafford is good for one thing and that’s losing games. Their fan base doesn’t care winning either as long as Stafford picks up decent stats.
    These types of statements are mind boggling to me. Some QBs lose a lot and its not their fault. Its a team game! The Lions lose and its a loss for Stafford.

    Which one is it? Are losses on the QB or not?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    19,736
    Quote Originally Posted by kreton View Post
    These types of statements are mind boggling to me. Some QBs lose a lot and its not their fault. Its a team game! The Lions lose and its a loss for Stafford.

    Which one is it? Are losses on the QB or not?
    Its a team sport.

    But when you pay a guy $110 million and are on the verge of paying him #1 money. He needs to be able to deliver during those big games.

    I'm not one of those people who thinks that number is an absolute true representation of Stafford & his career. But I can definitely see why it gets brought up all the time.

    If paying one player that much money isnt working out because its a team sport, then you should probably be using all that cash to build a team instead.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    19,736
    Can I nominate myself for Post Of The Year 2017?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Its a team sport.

    But when you pay a guy $110 million and are on the verge of paying him #1 money. He needs to be able to deliver during those big games.

    I'm not one of those people who thinks that number is an absolute true representation of Stafford & his career. But I can definitely see why it gets brought up all the time.

    If paying one player that much money isnt working out because its a team sport, then you should probably be using all that cash to build a team instead.
    How many games has Stafford played?

    How many games can you positively state he was the reason we lost?

    How many games can you positively state that we was the reason we won?

    Count those over the last 3 years. If you are being honest, you will see a huge gap. If you are going to condemn Stafford for losing, then don't make excuses for other QBs who are losing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    19,736
    Quote Originally Posted by kreton View Post
    How many games has Stafford played?

    How many games can you positively state he was the reason we lost?

    How many games can you positively state that we was the reason we won?

    Count those over the last 3 years. If you are being honest, you will see a huge gap. If you are going to condemn Stafford for losing, then don't make excuses for other QBs who are losing.
    Its not that I condemn him for losing. Its that I condemn him for not winning while getting paid $110million + whatever else he's going to get in the next few years.

    Use that money to buy a team, so the next QB isn't stuck with so many reasons for not winning.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,639
    Stafford is trending in the right direction. Haters gonna hate.

    Lots of upside here and good enough to win with a good team which is the most important thing. He's not Mike ****ing Glennon for **** sakes. He's going to make more money and should than a guy like that.

    IDGAF about his stats like the comment said we all do, I care that he looks like the kind of guy that can win. We all watch the games and it's more times than not that it's the other aspects of the game that lose it. How about that shootout game with Flynn in GB years ago? Was that Stafford's fault?

    Also, he's trending in the right direction. Before the broken finger last year he was playing really well and the team was winning. It didn't help that the hardest part of the schedule is when it happened. I would have liked to see him healthy against those teams last year. We would have had a much better shot. But even then we all saw the product. We couldn't run, the line sucked, the LBs were horrid...those were why we lost, not Stafford.

    Let's see what he does with a mediocre receiving corps and an improved O-line this year.
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Stafford is trending in the right direction. Haters gonna hate.

    Lots of upside here and good enough to win with a good team which is the most important thing. He's not Mike ****ing Glennon for **** sakes. He's going to make more money and should than a guy like that.

    IDGAF about his stats like the comment said we all do, I care that he looks like the kind of guy that can win. We all watch the games and it's more times than not that it's the other aspects of the game that lose it. How about that shootout game with Flynn in GB years ago? Was that Stafford's fault?

    Also, he's trending in the right direction. Before the broken finger last year he was playing really well and the team was winning. It didn't help that the hardest part of the schedule is when it happened. I would have liked to see him healthy against those teams last year. We would have had a much better shot. But even then we all saw the product. We couldn't run, the line sucked, the LBs were horrid...those were why we lost, not Stafford.

    Let's see what he does with a mediocre receiving corps and an improved O-line this year.
    Well said. I would also venture to say that Stafford was almost elite last year when healthy. Dak, Matty Ice, Brady and Stafford were basically in a league of their own for much of the season. Staff hurt his finger, defense starting getting exposed, everything changed. Aaron Rodgers then out-classed every QB in the league starting in Week 9 and onwards.

    I think if you have a Top 10 QB in the league, which I think Stafford is, you keep that player. We may NEVER win with Stafford, but as of today, he gives us the best chance to win.

    There was something very critical that Bob Quinn said after the draft in his press conference: "Well, I only have 5 minutes because Undrafted Free Agency is starting and I need to get back to work." The guy is RELENTLESS when it comes to building a winning team. If he feels that Stafford is the best chance at winning then he is the best chance of winning. If he feels there is a replacement out there for him then I'm sure he has done his due diligence. This guy isn't just satisfied with getting the guys he wants in the draft, he wants to get EVERYONE he wants at every point in the season. The guy is engaged, I have no question about how committed he is to putting a winner on the field. Honestly, he has Stafford in his prime and is taking a drastically different approach than Mayhew has. Let's see how things go and honestly, let's forget about the past and give this an honest shot. I know as Lions fans we are a bit jaded, but things appear to be much different than how GM's worked in the past. Winning solves everything so if we win then all of that goes away.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,352
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Its a team sport.

    But when you pay a guy $110 million and are on the verge of paying him #1 money. He needs to be able to deliver during those big games.

    I'm not one of those people who thinks that number is an absolute true representation of Stafford & his career. But I can definitely see why it gets brought up all the time.

    If paying one player that much money isnt working out because its a team sport, then you should probably be using all that cash to build a team instead.
    Aaron Rodgers: 0-35 when trailing by more than 1 point in 4th quarter against teams with a winning record...



    what do you have to say about that?

    #QWiNNING

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,352
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Stafford is trending in the right direction. Haters gonna hate.

    Lots of upside here and good enough to win with a good team which is the most important thing. He's not Mike ****ing Glennon for **** sakes. He's going to make more money and should than a guy like that.

    IDGAF about his stats like the comment said we all do, I care that he looks like the kind of guy that can win. We all watch the games and it's more times than not that it's the other aspects of the game that lose it. How about that shootout game with Flynn in GB years ago? Was that Stafford's fault?

    Also, he's trending in the right direction. Before the broken finger last year he was playing really well and the team was winning. It didn't help that the hardest part of the schedule is when it happened. I would have liked to see him healthy against those teams last year. We would have had a much better shot. But even then we all saw the product. We couldn't run, the line sucked, the LBs were horrid...those were why we lost, not Stafford.

    Let's see what he does with a mediocre receiving corps and an improved O-line this year.
    +1

    those are just dumb pointless stats that don't indicate how the QB played. LOL we've seen Stafford carry the team before, he didn't break the record for most 4th quarter comebacks for no reason.

    Stafford's "team" has been at the bottom of the league for the main stats that would help a QB be successful. so i don't get how anyone ever points to Stafford for the fact that we can't win. It's not his fault the team hasn't backed him up his whole career. it's the people who don't know football and just put the blame on the QB that seem to not understand this

    #QWiNNING

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74,010
    He's going to get paid and the debates will rage on with no end in sight. Carr will then get paid and he'll reset the record amount for QB's. People will ***** and moan about that until the next major QB gets paid. Its a cycle that never ends.

    Just please get the contract done soon please BQ.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    19,736
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Aaron Rodgers: 0-35 when trailing by more than 1 point in 4th quarter against teams with a winning record...



    what do you have to say about that?

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •