Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    It worked out well for them regardless. They won the 2009 World Series with Mark Teixeira at 1st Base and Mike Trout has yet to win a World Series. I'll take the rings over the player any day of the week.
    Yeah.

Because the fact that Texiera was on a World Series winner and Trout was not is a perfection indication that Tex was a better player than Trout.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Because the Yankees weren't afraid to draft HS hitters.
    Can I say that they would have with 100% certainty, of course not. But they probably would have drafted him before the Mets would have given the chance.
    I still don't buy he was going to automatically be a Yankee. Its a nice story to write in the newspapers or on some blog somewhere but speculation is not proof.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah.

Because the fact that Texiera was on a World Series winner and Trout was not is a perfection indication that Tex was a better player than Trout.
    I never suggested Teixeira was the better player. However he perfectly fit a need for the Yankees and helped carry them to a World Series Championship. A switch hitting 1st Baseman with excellent defense and power. Teixeira and A-Rod were a deadly middle of the order combo. It's not just speculation, the Yankees were going to draft Mike Trout. Without Teixeira the Yankees lineup in 09 is not as strong. Nick Swisher the everyday 1B? Nah, not good enough. They spent the money needed to win and won.. I wish our owners would do the same. Even at the expense of an all star talent, once in a generation type talent in the draft. Give me the Ring. Because you never know when you'll win one again. See the 2000 and 2015 Mets.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    I never suggested Teixeira was the better player. However he perfectly fit a need for the Yankees and helped carry them to a World Series Championship. A switch hitting 1st Baseman with excellent defense and power. Teixeira and A-Rod were a deadly middle of the order combo. It's not just speculation, the Yankees were going to draft Mike Trout. Without Teixeira the Yankees lineup in 09 is not as strong. Nick Swisher the everyday 1B? Nah, not good enough. They spent the money needed to win and won.. I wish our owners would do the same. Even at the expense of an all star talent, once in a generation type talent in the draft. Give me the Ring. Because you never know when you'll win one again. See the 2000 and 2015 Mets.
    You make a fair point and I apologize for the undeserved snark. Indeed, it was worth it for the Yanks to sign Texiera, even if it theoretically might have cost them Trout, because with Tex they were able to win a coveted championship.

No guarantee they could have won one without Texieria and certainly no guarantee they would have won one with Trout.

Good job.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718