Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Great point, I'd forgotten that. Well not really forgotten but overlooked that. then the answer is obvious, who's baseball's answer to Lou Lamoriello ? Theo Epstein of course

Burke was 4 years on the job though and didn't do it properly. He basically did the same thing that Shapiro has done the last two off seasons, which is band aid fixes and what not. He never did the full tear down and rebuild. I think we will see Shapiro go the full tear down route.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Burke was 4 years on the job though and didn't do it properly. He basically did the same thing that Shapiro has done the last two off seasons, which is band aid fixes and what not. He never did the full tear down and rebuild. I think we will see Shapiro go the full tear down route.
    Very true, I just don't think Shapiro has the necessary vision or talent. Lou Lamoriello has done it all in his career and seen it all. I don't see Shapiro having the same dynamic ability to see the big picture as Lou does.

There's a reason he's known as the Godfather of Hockey.

Let's look at the bright side. Stroman and Estrada have pitched very well. Liriano has gotten stronger and Sanchez is coming back. Hopefully Happ will be okay. The starters will keep the Jays in it.

The offense should get better as they get healthy. JD and Tulo will be back soon.

They are massively underachieving right now.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    You're right there Mike, they're bulletproof for the foreseeable future, they've spun it exactly how Rogers wanted. AA was a bad guy he left the cupboard bare for goldilocks..uh I mean Shapiro.... It's funny how the simplest plots and storylines can be used over and over and the owners think we simpletons have no idea. The sad part is the average fan doesn't.

So you're absolutely correct.
    But he did.. didn't he trade like 11 players at that deadline including top prospects like Norris, Hoffman, Castro, Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Let's look at the bright side. Stroman and Estrada have pitched very well. Liriano has gotten stronger and Sanchez is coming back. Hopefully Happ will be okay. The starters will keep the Jays in it.

The offense should get better as they get healthy. JD and Tulo will be back soon.

They are massively underachieving right now.
    So far the starters have been the best in Baseball. By far too but we're still 6-17. There's too much age and garbage in the bullpen to expect the Starters to carry the whole team all season. You can already see its wearing on Stroman. He was beside himself last night. The poor kid. He's from where I am on Long Island. And he's a real responsible young man, very well grounded. But last night I could see that it was getting to Marcus.

It's unfair to put such a burden on the starters. The rest of the team has to do its part too. Maybe I'm biased because I know the kid from afar and was aware of his accomplishments as a kid from the neighborhood. But seeing him so upset last night got to me. It wasn't even Gibby he was upset with, he just wants so badly to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    But he did.. didn't he trade like 11 players at that deadline including top prospects like Norris, Hoffman, Castro, Boyd
    Yes he did he took a team that won squat for 21 years to the brink of a championship. I have no doubt whatsoever he'd have finished the job too if Shapiro wasn't hired. And what has Goldilocks Shapiro done since? Only turned us into the laughingstock of all of baseball.

Didn't he acquire talent either in those?

I keep repeating it to you guys and either your don't listen or simple refuse to understand it.

He made his mandate clear if you recall. Although he was a ninja regarding moves, he was very vocal about his vision.

Build the farm
    Trade for stars needed
    Spend in FA
    Repeat

He did that twice. He proved he could build a farm (the majority of our high end prospects are still AA's). Florida deal was a fail, be did it again, and if you don't think he would keep doing it, something is off with your logic. Even the MLB changed rules both in acquiring FA's with qualifying offers attached and he international draft rules because AA was exploiting them. The guy was perfect for this team and this market.

"We're really pleased, we're happy, we're excited about the direction," Anthopoulos said of the message he received in subsequent 1-on-1 conversations with fans. "I said, 'Well, a lot of it is possible because fans do understand what we're doing.' They're not always going to agree with it, but they understand the process."

In his first press conference....

"What we won't do is short cut," he told fans, "because once we get it there, it will be a freight train and it's not going to stop."

And I totally believe he did exactly that.

He took over this team....

1 C Rod Barajas
    2 1B Lyle Overbay*
    3 2B Aaron Hill
    4 SS Marco Scutaro
    5 3B Scott Rolen
    6 LF Travis Snider
    7 CF Vernon Wells
    8 RF Alex Rios
    9 DH Adam Lind

And turned it into back to back ALCS appearances.

Totally believe if Rogers could have mulligan. AA is still here.

It's not just that, I was reading about how the Astros are now loving the deal that sent 4 specs out to them for, I want to say, Happ and Lyon. He gave up specs to the Marlins, Mets and A's as well (for Reyes, Dickey and Donaldson). This is all before what he shipped out for Tulo, Price and Revere. There will be a point when you have to stop blaming the previous FO though. I feel like that time will be this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Didn't he acquire talent either in those?

I keep repeating it to you guys and either your don't listen or simple refuse to understand it.

He made his mandate clear if you recall. Although he was a ninja regarding moves, he was very vocal about his vision.

Build the farm
    Trade for stars needed
    Spend in FA
    Repeat

He did that twice. He proved he could build a farm (the majority of our high end prospects are still AA's). Florida deal was a fail, be did it again, and if you don't think he would keep doing it, something is off with your logic. Even the MLB changed rules both in acquiring FA's with qualifying offers attached and he international draft rules because AA was exploiting them. The guy was perfect for this team and this market.

"We're really pleased, we're happy, we're excited about the direction," Anthopoulos said of the message he received in subsequent 1-on-1 conversations with fans. "I said, 'Well, a lot of it is possible because fans do understand what we're doing.' They're not always going to agree with it, but they understand the process."

In his first press conference....

"What we won't do is short cut," he told fans, "because once we get it there, it will be a freight train and it's not going to stop."

And I totally believe he did exactly that.

He took over this team....

1 C Rod Barajas
    2 1B Lyle Overbay*
    3 2B Aaron Hill
    4 SS Marco Scutaro
    5 3B Scott Rolen
    6 LF Travis Snider
    7 CF Vernon Wells
    8 RF Alex Rios
    9 DH Adam Lind

And turned it into back to back ALCS appearances.
    Amen. How people can forget that is beyond me. BRILLIANT post. Simply BRILLIANT

It's not just that, I was reading about how the Astros are now loving the deal that sent 4 specs out to them for, I want to say, Happ and Lyon. He gave up specs to the Marlins, Mets and A's as well (for Reyes, Dickey and Donaldson). This is all before what he shipped out for Tulo, Price and Revere. There will be a point when you have to stop blaming the previous FO though. I feel like that time will be this off season.
    Reyes turned into Tulo, JD (who alone should restock) has yet to bite us in the butt, and we have all agreed that the Dickey deal was a loss, with a huge asterisk because no one here would have predicted the injuries that year and Romero, Morrow, Johnson all falling of the edge of the earth simultaneously.

Come on guys, stop playing with hindsight. Look at what he did vs what he should've done. Vegas had us as favorites to win the WS after the Dickey deal, and we all know Vegas odds are as close to the mark as the can be.
    Last edited by TRIUMPHATOR; 04-29-2017 at 12:20 PM.

jeez louise, some of you have short memories, dont you rememnber those 2 playoffs, those 2 great summers? its like they never happened to some of you because all any of you remember are the prospects lost

guess what playoffs arent free. look at what the Red Sox traded for Kimbrel and then for Porcello and lastly for Sale. my God Prospects are great but sooner or later if you dont win something what good are they? I guess 21 seasons of being a joke wasnt long enough for some of you

I honestly don't see this being an option. I'm sure part of Shapiro coming here was to facilitate a rebuild. If anything, ownership probably thinks they got the guy for the job even though the job he was brought in to do was delayed by a couple of years
    bingo. spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Reyes turned into Tulo, JD (who alone should restock) has yet to bite us in the butt, and we have all agreed that the Dickey deal was a loss, with a huge asterisk because no one here would have predicted the injuries that year and Romero, Morrow, Johnson all falling of the edge of the earth simultaneously.

Come on guys, stop playing with hindsight. Look at what he did vs what he should've done. Vegas had us as favorites to win the WS after the Dickey deal, and we all know Vegas odds are as close to the mark as the can be.
    I'm not doing anything with hindsight, nor am I evaluating the trades and their results. Rather pointing out that it was more than just the 11 prospects that were shipped out at the deadline. The cupboard was running dry and given the new rules was imo not a sustainable model.

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast