Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    I'm excited for this year, but also tempered in my expectations. While I fully expect the team to improve in every area from last year, I'm not sure they will be any better than a 95+ point team. I think the division & conference will be better (NYI, TAM, CAR), and points will be tougher to grab. Plus, the Leafs are not catching anyone by surprise this year, so we'll really see where they're at.

Nonetheless, it should be a promising year. Ideally, I'd like to see a legit #2 D-man with good puck moving skills and size playing alongside Reilly...and having Hainsey on the 2nd pairing with Gardiner. Then you'd have Zaitsev & Carrick on the 3rd pairing.
    Honestly as long as the big 3 keep getting better, and if Riellys ankle is healed we should be better than last year.

some teams did get better, but a lot of teams also got worse. Washington blew up their defense. Montreals defense got worse and they still don't have a center. Florida blew up their forward group. Boston better hope McAvoy is an all-star. Ottawa had a lot of luck on their side last year where everything went right and lost a guy like Methot.

Our biggest issue will be getting Babcock to play guys that actually skate and move the puck like Leivo,Kapanen over Martin, Fehr or playing Carrick over Marincin. Marleau also has to replace Hyman on Matthews wing. If he does that this could easily be a top team in the east.

I would moved Leo and Martin before training camp and then go with.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
    Jvr-Bozak-Marner
    Kapanen-Kadri-Brown
    Hyman-Moore-Leivo
    Fehr/Smith/Sosh/Rychel.

I think a lot of people forget about Riellys injury. He looked awful for a good stretch. I don't think he ever got back to 100%. As someone who has an ankle problem, I felt his pain. It never fully heals and when you think its 100%, its sore as hell the very next day. I cant imagine trying to play nhl hockey on one foot. Especially for a guy who's strongest asset is his skating. Rielly is my pick for most improved player. I think he'll cement himself as a low end #1. With Gardiner improving last season and turning into a legit #2, this defense isnt nearly the trainwreck it once was. With help on the way as well in Dermott and Liljegren, we could have a legit Dcore for the first time since those pre-cap Quinn teams.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Rielly was great in the playoffs imo. especially considering the injury. if he did let it heal once the season ended I think you're right on the money Halladay.

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I think a lot of people forget about Riellys injury. He looked awful for a good stretch. I don't think he ever got back to 100%. As someone who has an ankle problem, I felt his pain. It never fully heals and when you think its 100%, its sore as hell the very next day. I cant imagine trying to play nhl hockey on one foot. Especially for a guy who's strongest asset is his skating. Rielly is my pick for most improved player. I think he'll cement himself as a low end #1. With Gardiner improving last season and turning into a legit #2, this defense isnt nearly the trainwreck it once was. With help on the way as well in Dermott and Liljegren, we could have a legit Dcore for the first time since those pre-cap Quinn teams.

I'm not sure Rielly will get to the level of a #1 D-man. I guess it depends how you define them though. He can be good enough to be Top 30 amongst defense in the league, and with 31 teams, I guess that fits the the label in a literal sense - "low end #1" . But I see him more as a "Cam Fowler" type than I do a "Drew Doughty," if that is what you mean by the term.

With Gardiner improving, Zaitsev signed and Liljegren, Dermott, Rasanen in the pipeline however, I too am optimistic for this D-core for the first time in many years. They've had a great 12 months focusing on the blue line.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I'm not sure Rielly will get to the level of a #1 D-man. I guess it depends how you define them though. He can be good enough to be Top 30 amongst defense in the league, and with 31 teams, I guess that fits the the label in a literal sense - "low end #1" . But I see him more as a "Cam Fowler" type than I do a "Drew Doughty," if that is what you mean by the term.

With Gardiner improving, Zaitsev signed and Liljegren, Dermott, Rasanen in the pipeline however, I too am optimistic for this D-core for the first time in many years. They've had a great 12 months focusing on the blue line.
    Fowler is probably top 10 in the league so I would love if Reilly got to that level.

Isn't Doughty a FA this summer? or is it the summer after that?

Can we possibly afford him?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post

2 years. and not likely.

Assuming we can move Horton and Marleau's cap hits at that point then maybe, but not likely. Horton gets $3.6 his last year compared to a $5.3 cap hit and Marleau only gets $1.5M after July 1st that summer.

Martin would need to be moved as well.

If you do that you have $23.35M committed to 6 players (Kadri,Hyman,Brown,Rielly,Zaitsev,Andersen). Now let's assume the big 3 have a big year again and come in around $30M combined. That brings you up to $53.35 for this:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
    Brown-Kadri-Marner

Rielly-Zaitsev

Andersen

If you fill the bottom with players averaging the $850K threshhold then that brings you up too $61M

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
    Brown-Kadri-Marner

Filler-Filler-Filler
    Filler-Filler

Rielly-Zaitsev

Filler-Filler
    Filler

Andersen
    Filler

Assuming the cap doesn't skyrocket, you only have $15M to fill the #3/4 D slots and 3 forward spots in the top 9. Giving $10M+ to Doughty is doable but unless the big 3 take huge hometown discounts the rest of the roster would have to be extremely thin at that point.
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post

2 years away. And no, probably not. Doughty is gonna get paid $10+ a year. I'd definitely move some money out to get him but I have no idea who that'd be without looking at a cap site first. All I know is we'll have around $26 million tied into the big 3 up front. Add in Doughty and youre pushing $40 mil on 4 guys. Doesn't leave much.

Training camp starts next week
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

I'm still not over the fact that we signed Marleau. Who would have ever thought he would wear a Maple Leaf jersey at some point in his career.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    I'm still not over the fact that we signed Marleau. Who would have ever thought he would wear a Maple Leaf jersey at some point in his career.
    Man i hope he looks good next year.

Marleau should be fine as long as he didn't lose his legs over the summer. Guy can still motor. Should be good for 20 goals at the least. The top 9 on the Leafs is crazy good. Connor Brown or Komarov more than likely start on the 4th line if Babcock keeps Hyman on Matthews line.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc.:31837787

Man i hope he looks good next year.
    It would be such a Leaf thing if he fell off this season but at the very least, he should be good mentor to Mathews and the rest of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox:31837951
    Marleau should be fine as long as he didn't lose his legs over the summer. Guy can still motor. Should be good for 20 goals at the least. The top 9 on the Leafs is crazy good. Connor Brown or Komarov more than likely start on the 4th line if Babcock keeps Hyman on Matthews line.
    Gosh I hope we don't see Hyman on the first line.

I think Marleau should at least be able to provide what hyman did on that 1W. When was the last time he played C?

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast