Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

How Common Is the "Everything Happens For a Reason" Belief?

You hear that idea sometimes. But am I the only person that believes in God but doesn't think that everything happens for a reason? I think some things happen for a reason (meaning planned by God), but I think a lot of events are random.

When I went to this safari park in southern Oregon they had a monkey cage. This group went into the viewing area and one of them was pushing a mentally handicapped person in a wheelchair. The monkeys started getting agitated and I backed up. Several pooped into their hands and threw it at the group and everyone scattered out of the way, including the person pushing the wheelchair. This left the mentally handicapped woman helpless as she was pelted repeatedly with monkey poop.

I would love to know God's reason for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    When I went to this safari park in southern Oregon they had a monkey cage. This group went into the viewing area and one of them was pushing a mentally handicapped person in a wheelchair. The monkeys started getting agitated and I backed up. Several pooped into their hands and threw it at the group and everyone scattered out of the way, including the person pushing the wheelchair. This left the mentally handicapped woman helpless as she was pelted repeatedly with monkey poop.

I needed that laugh more than you could possibly ever know. Many thanks.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Everything happens for a reason is a euphemism for "I can't explain it. I don't know why God, to whom I pray every day, read His Bible, etc, would let this happen."
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Everything happens for a reason is a euphemism for "I can't explain it. I don't know why God, to whom I pray every day, read His Bible, etc, would let this happen."
    Which helps some people cope with difficult situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

"Everything happens for a reason" is true. It's not needed to explain anything, as it doesn't explain anything anyway. It's just a way of thinking.

Just same as how I believe my life was written the day I was born, I saw it written in the stars. Doesn't mean I don't grab this pen and write this play myself. Doesn't actually make sense, but when you integrate that as part of how you operate, then it does

the handicapped person doubted the lord

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Which helps some people cope with difficult situations.
    Agree 100 percent.

I needed that laugh more than you could possibly ever know. Many thanks.
    Glad I could be of help!

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    the handicapped person doubted the lord

Not even close. This is what happens when people mix science and religion, and it comes from both sides

During the Steven Avery case they had a lady on the stand that "miraculously" found the victims vehicle in a huge maze of a salvage yard in a matter of minutes. They recreated the scenario and she would have had to walk the exact path without stopping to get to the vehicle that fast. The assumption was that either she knew or was told exactly where the vehicle was on the property.

When asked about it she said that god showed her the way and that god wanted justice for the victim.

The lawyer in response said something along the lines of that it was ashame that god cared more about finding her attacker than keeping it from even happening in the first place.

Marcus Mariota

I believe in God, but I also believe God set up the laws of nature so that chance plays a role in a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by hayley1988 View Post
    I believe in God, but I also believe God set up the laws of nature so that chance plays a role in a lot of things.
    Yeah, that gets too complicated for me, trying to reconcile what happens by chance as per God and what God makes happen Himself. Just easier for me to realize there is no God and things just happen by chance. Sometimes a line drive goes smack into a fielder's mitt. Other times the same hit goes all the way to the wall for an extra base hit. The fielder uses the best available science to stand in the place where the ball is most likely to be hit. The fielder tries to hit it somewhere else.

So it's random chance as qualified by scientific factors. For my money, it just makes more sense to leave
    God out of the equation.