Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PB's 2017 Mock Draft

The last few years I have only been doing one mock draft and with there a week left before the draft I figured I would go ahead and post my mock.

Disclaimer: this is my opinion on what we could possibly do in the draft. I, like anyone else who do mock drafts and/or draft evaluations, are just guessing about players. This mock is also to drum up some more conversation.

With the 29th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select.......

Takkarist Mckinley OLB UCLA

I went back and forth over this pick and I think it is the safest bet. Takk has great athleticism. He is quick off the edge and has a solid bull rush. I know a lot of people are wanting TJ Watt and I have watched a bunch of both and the biggest difference I have seen is when I watch Takk whether he makes the play or not he is always around the ball with TJ he just disappears for a lot of the game. I think with the shoulder surgery Takk will fall and he will be there when we pick and with Clay, Perry, Fackrell, and Elliot we can wait a little on Takk.

With the 61st pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select........

Marlon Humphrey CB Alabama.

I know most of you think he won't be there but, SHU said it in the draft prospect thread and I have been seeing it in a lot of other places, teams are worried about Humphrey because they say he plays a bit like Dee Millner. I watched some videos on him and did see the athleticism and play making ability there and think he is above Millner but, I think the stigma is there. Also, another question with him is was he really that good or was he just a product of a great pass rushing defense? I just think it would be too hard to pass on him if he falls this far.

With the 93rd pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select.....

Amara Darboh WR Michigan

This was another pick I kind of bounced around on. He flashes the ability. He crossed up Marshon Lattimore a few teams in the Ohio State game and Lattimore is projected top 5 pick. Darboh is definitely raw. He isn't the crispest route runner and he plays a bit slower than he actually is. He clocked a good 40 he just tends to not play like it. He is listed at 6'2 so he is around the height we tend to take for WRs.

With the 134th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select.....

James Connor RB Pittsburgh

I think Connor would make the perfect Tandem with Christine Michaels and Ty Montgomery. Where Ty and Michaels are speed type backs Connor is a power back. He is a hard runner who very rarely gets taken down behind the line of scrimmage. He fights for every yard. Not overly shifty or speedy. He is decent at picking up the Blitz. Plus I think he has a positive PR story with his battle with Cancer.

With the 174th pick in the NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select.......

Zach Banner OG USC

Banner is a massive kid I have seen him listed at 6'8 353lbs. He played RT at USC but, I think he is going to be better suited as a guard. He has good upper body strength and with his size he is definitely hard to push back. He will struggle against faster lineman that is why I think he would be better suited inside. I just think it would be amazing to have a mammoth on the OL. I have seen him projected 3-4 but, I think because of the weight concerns he could fall to the 5th.

With the 184th pick in the NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select........

Brian Allen CB Utah

Allen has great size I have seen him listed at 6'3 215. He started out as a WR when he arrived at Utah and has made the transition to CB. He still shows he is new to the position but, he has the ability. He struggles tackling and his back pedal is stiff but, a lot of that can be worked on. He has good speed and can stick with his receiver. I have always been interested in a taller CB, a lot of them don't work out but, when one does they are very helpful.

With the 214th pick in the NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select.........

CJ Beathard QB Iowa

You could call this my token Iowa pick but, here is my reasoning. The QB class is weak, The rumors are we could potentially trade Hundley next year, this gives us a project QB to be our back up if we do trade Hundley. Beathard has a live arm and is tough. He has a Favre mentality where he can take a hit get right back up and do it all again. He isn't a burn but, he does have the ability to get outside the pocket and make plays with his feet.

With the 247th pick in the NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers Select........

Eric Wilson ILB Cincinnati

Wilson is a tweener. He is an Undersized Linebacker. We kind of were doing this with Morgan Burnett last year before injuries took their toll. He would be a project that could be stashed on the PS until he is ready. He has solid spped and is good in coverage and kind of knife his way through the line. He is a bit of a hard hitter which is a good and bad thing. He can miss a tackle or 2 or he can jar the ball loose.

Well there you have it gents. that is my mock draft of 2017 let the conversation begin.

RIP Gene Wilder

I said somewhere yesterday I think Humphrey would be there for us at 29. I started cramming yesterday night and evening. I like both your first two picks.

Takk has like zero hand usage. None. Like he doesn't have moves barely. And he still eats people up. Just a little coaching and he could be special.

Humphrey is big fast physical. If you want the guy that can show down Julio like we say. He could work. His man press type skills are lacking right now. He doesn't seem comfortable there anyways that can be learned. I don't think he can drop that far though.

I like Conner. Him or Perine. Hill. Those are the mid type guys I hope for.

The concern I've heard with takk is that there's a fair amount of analysts that think he may struggle to bend around the edge (to use the terminology that all the draft guys use to sound smart). Do you guys think that's true or are that on tape?

His testing scores were not great. As a straight line athlete he was good, but his agility drills stunk. He's not the only one who had mediocre agility drills (my guy Charles Harris also did) but takk had surgery after the combine so he wasn't able to improve those numbers like some of the other guys allegedly did. That sort of worries me with him. Even before the combine you heard the questions about turning the corner, then he posts mediocre to poor agility drills, which sort of validates that concern. Maybe I'm wrong on it, but that was the feel I got for the concern on takk.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    The concern I've heard with takk is that there's a fair amount of analysts that think he may struggle to bend around the edge (to use the terminology that all the draft guys use to sound smart). Do you guys think that's true or are that on tape?

His testing scores were not great. As a straight line athlete he was good, but his agility drills stunk. He's not the only one who had mediocre agility drills (my guy Charles Harris also did) but takk had surgery after the combine so he wasn't able to improve those numbers like some of the other guys allegedly did. That sort of worries me with him. Even before the combine you heard the questions about turning the corner, then he posts mediocre to poor agility drills, which sort of validates that concern. Maybe I'm wrong on it, but that was the feel I got for the concern on takk.
    Yeah he beats guys and then can't turn the corner and the recover and push him past. He has no clue what to do with his hands which doesn't help. I don't think he's the guy we'll want. We like better natural hands guys and more agile guys I think. But he can explode and just over power people. He's pretty interesting.

It sounds like I don't like him but I actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Yeah he beats guys and then can't turn the corner and the recover and push him past. He has no clue what to do with his hands which doesn't help. I don't think he's the guy we'll want. We like better natural hands guys and more agile guys I think. But he can explode and just over power people. He's pretty interesting.

It sounds like I don't like him but I actually do.
    Perry was the same way when he came out. He was quick enough to get past the guy and he was strong enough to bull rush the guy but, once he pushed his guy back he didn't have any hand usage to separate from the blocker. I remember saying that over and over he needs to use his hands more. We have the luxury that he doesn't have to start from day one and can just join the rotation.

As for the humphry pick like I said I don't know if he is gonna be at our 2nd pick but, I just keep seeing stuff where people are lowering him on their draft board. I did like what I saw and the 2nd round it would be to hard to pass up.

RIP Gene Wilder

I had a long post but the stupid service here.

Basically Perry is a really good comp I think. He was all bull and no hands or bend but I really high end athlete for his size.

Jordan Willis is my dude. I challenge you all to go YouTube Voch Lombardi Jordan Willis. I was already a fan then I saw that. The weird part is how he says he's not a great athlete a few times. If he can find a way to use his moves and the ability...that's my dude.

I had a long post but the stupid service here.

Basically Perry is a really good comp I think. He was all bull and no hands or bend but I really high end athlete for his size.

Jordan Willis is my dude. I challenge you all to go YouTube Voch Lombardi Jordan Willis. I was already a fan then I saw that. The weird part is how he says he's not a great athlete a few times. If he can find a way to use his moves and the ability...that's my dude.
    I don't see takk in perry. Perry graded out in at least the 88th percentile in 40, both jumps, 20 yard shuttle and the bench. (45th in the 3 cone, which is a bit of an outlier compared to the rest). His physics traits like arm length, height and weight were all below average for an edge defender. Takk had a great 40, bench and has good arm length. But everything else is below average, with his agility drills being down around the 10th percentile for edge guys. I guess in my mind, Perry was an elite all around athlete. I don't see that with takk. He has a reputation as a great athlete, but that's mainly just size, strength and speed. Unfortunately, takk isn't great an any other athletic trait, which I think will hurt him.

That being said, I examine the other options potentially available. On one hand you have Willis and watt. Both who crushed their athletic tests but need move refinement. Or there's a Charles Harris, a guy who maybe isn't that top level athlete, but already has a little more refinement. To me, takk lacks the elite leve athleticism and needs to refine his game, so I'd rather go with one of those other 3 who only need to work on one area, not two. And I'm not really a big watt guy either.

I think Takk is really in a much better spot than Perry because Takk has experience standing up and playing some coverage where as Perry mainly kept his hand in the dirt.

I have watched a video of Willis and I can see where people like him, I just haven't watched enough to give my opinion on him. I might do that tonight sit and watch a few more guys.

Did you look at anything on Banner and Allen. Banner is just a mountain. I think the Packers will make him lose a little bit of weight but, I think he could be a solid RG.

Allen is a type the Packers like where he is a converted WR. I think with the right coaching he could be a legit corner in the league and taking him in that spot means we could even put him on the ps and groom him.

RIP Gene Wilder

In all honesty, Perry and Willis might actually be a good comp. I'd also throw in don't sleep on tyus bowser. I've heard him as a guy who's creeping some and he's the type of guy I could see the packers pulling the trigger on.

In all honesty, Perry and Willis might actually be a good comp. I'd also throw in don't sleep on tyus bowser. I've heard him as a guy who's creeping some and he's the type of guy I could see the packers pulling the trigger on.
    I tried to watch Bowser but, the videos I saw never really showed him in a pass rush situation he was always in coverage. Not that was a bad thing but, it was just too hard to see what kind of pass rush moves he has.

RIP Gene Wilder

It's much easier for a good athlete to become more agile, than for somebody to become a better overall athlete.
    Maybe he has reached his potential, but I'd be shocked if his agility doesn't improve tremendously if he works hard enough at it. With the best coaches in the world, I'd expect to see huge improvements over the next year or two.

Dream draft for me

Conley in the first. Willis is the 2nd. Then best available RB or Guard. The Cook McCaffrey Peppers stuff was fun to fantasize about, but forget about it, lets get a CB and Pass rusher 1-2 and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdh09e44 View Post
    Dream draft for me

Conley in the first. Willis is the 2nd. Then best available RB or Guard. The Cook McCaffrey Peppers stuff was fun to fantasize about, but forget about it, lets get a CB and Pass rusher 1-2 and be done with it.
    Conley
    Willis
    Perine

I would get a tattoo of Ted Thompson.

I think Gareon will be gone. I really like that dude.

I wish before I watched all those corners, I had no idea where they were projected. That screws everything up but obvs you can't avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I tried to watch Bowser but, the videos I saw never really showed him in a pass rush situation he was always in coverage. Not that was a bad thing but, it was just too hard to see what kind of pass rush moves he has.
    Kind of like Fackrell last year that way?

He sort of reminds me of a poor man's Leonard Floyd, and I was a huge Floyd guy. I need to watch way more on Bowser though.

Kind of like Fackrell last year that way?

He sort of reminds me of a poor man's Leonard Floyd, and I was a huge Floyd guy. I need to watch way more on Bowser though.
    the problem I had with trying to watch Fackrell was there were like 2 videos of him lol.

What I saw of Bowser he played coverage well. I think that helps his case that he has experience in coverage and Rushing from a standing position.

RIP Gene Wilder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast