Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Attempt #2 at the Gym

Height: 5í10 3/4
    Weight: 155-160

Any injuries? I had a shoulder injury where the ball in the shoulder blade has a slight tear in the back side (ďOffensive linemanĒ injury). Did some PT/Stretches to strengthen the ball and now Iíve been doing light shoulder workouts at home:

10 lb shoulder raise, 10 lb rotating inward, 45 lbs shoulder raise (bar pull up along body to right above chest), and then we have a machine that has a shoulder press. While building up the left bicep/tricep to balance out both sides..

I havenít had any problems with the ball coming out of itís socket in the last at least 6+ months

Fitness level (exactly how bad or good of shape are you in): I would say I have a decent build with broad shoulders. Definitely some unneeded fat in the low gut. My legs are probably the strongest part of my body from backpacking & hiking.

I never in my life have run or had stamina for sports..but over the last two months+ Iíve been running 2 miles every other day. When I started I had to stop 3-4 times each mile. At the point now where I can run both with one stop at the mile marker..The last .1 of each mile I usually push myself to the limit

Have you ever followed a fitness program before? No

What are your goals? Just overall add some width to my body and become more fit. Get an actual build. I have no intentions of blowing up insanely big, but something around the 165-170 lb range is what Iíd like to work towards while being compact.

How much time do you have available to dedicate to your goals? How many days per week?
    5 days a week, probably around 1 - 1:30 hr per day.

Do you have access to a gym? If not do you have access to weights? I do not have a gym membership currently..although I have a few gyms Iíve been considering. We have 2 15ís, 2 10ís, 2 20ís (This has two of each 4 lb bar, 3lb weight, 5 lb weight)..Which lets me do 5, 5, 5, 5, 4 for when Iím working on building up my left side. Then we have a machine (Weider 9400 Pro) that the resistance is definitely off, but it generally works.

If you are seeking diet advice, please tell us if you have allergies or foods that you do not like. Nothing really comes to mind. Iíd like some advice on different easy high protein snacks/mini meals to make, overall mass building methods, and really anything related to cleaning up the diet. I had no problem cutting soda or fast food almost completely out of my life for over a year.

Are you taking supplements?
    I have some protein similar to whey, while working out at home I havenít been using protein..probably should have been. Got a few friends who said I should grab C4 as a PWO.

Any advice is much appreciated..cough Hughest.
    Last edited by Westbrook36; 04-18-2017 at 06:39 PM.

^
    No time right now, but I will get back to you. Probably tomorrow night.

First off, you can definitely get fit without the use of a gym...but I would definitely recommend it. I'm not sure how many gyms are in your area but there are a ton of very affordable($10-$25 per month) gyms out there. You don't need anything crazy, but the more options you have the better.

Time will not be an issue for you whatsoever. 60-90 minutes per session, 5 days per week is more than enough time for you to accomplish your goals. When it comes to fitness goals, what are they exactly? Are you just doing it for looks? Or would you like to look better while at the same time becoming fitter and more athletic. Your goals will determine what style of workout will be best for you.

In regards to supplements, they help but at the same time people expect them to be magic. The only two supps I take personally are Protein and Creatine, and occasionally BCAA. Sometimes I will add in fish oil if I'm having issues with my joints. As far as pre workout is concerned, I do not take it anymore and havent for a long time. I'm not saying the products don't work, but I usually have plenty of motivation to get to the gym. Even on days that I'm dragging, I usually have plenty of energy once I start my workout. Supplements have their advantages, but they definitely are not necessary IMO. I'm not sure if you are working with a tight budget but supps can get very expensive. The best bang for your buck supplement is a basic creatine monohydrate. I have had nothing but positive experiences with it.
    Spending money on that gym membership > spending money on supplements.
    If money isn't an issue, go ahead and load up on supplements as well.

Being 5'10" and 155 I'd imagine you dont really have too much fat on your frame. However, your nutrition will play a massive part in whether or not you accomplish your goals. Being as honest as possible, what does a normal day of eating look like for you now? Any idea how many calories? I have tried a bunch of "diets" in the past, and while they work they are also extremely hard to maintain. Once I know more about what you currently eat, it will be easier to help.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    First off, you can definitely get fit without the use of a gym...but I would definitely recommend it. I'm not sure how many gyms are in your area but there are a ton of very affordable($10-$25 per month) gyms out there. You don't need anything crazy, but the more options you have the better.

Time will not be an issue for you whatsoever. 60-90 minutes per session, 5 days per week is more than enough time for you to accomplish your goals. When it comes to fitness goals, what are they exactly? Are you just doing it for looks? Or would you like to look better while at the same time becoming fitter and more athletic. Your goals will determine what style of workout will be best for you.

In regards to supplements, they help but at the same time people expect them to be magic. The only two supps I take personally are Protein and Creatine, and occasionally BCAA. Sometimes I will add in fish oil if I'm having issues with my joints. As far as pre workout is concerned, I do not take it anymore and havent for a long time. I'm not saying the products don't work, but I usually have plenty of motivation to get to the gym. Even on days that I'm dragging, I usually have plenty of energy once I start my workout. Supplements have their advantages, but they definitely are not necessary IMO. I'm not sure if you are working with a tight budget but supps can get very expensive. The best bang for your buck supplement is a basic creatine monohydrate. I have had nothing but positive experiences with it.
    Spending money on that gym membership > spending money on supplements.
    If money isn't an issue, go ahead and load up on supplements as well.

Being 5'10" and 155 I'd imagine you dont really have too much fat on your frame. However, your nutrition will play a massive part in whether or not you accomplish your goals. Being as honest as possible, what does a normal day of eating look like for you now? Any idea how many calories? I have tried a bunch of "diets" in the past, and while they work they are also extremely hard to maintain. Once I know more about what you currently eat, it will be easier to help.
    No worries on response time

I unfortunately donít really have any chain gyms that are close enough. I have four gyms within a 15 minute distance that are all 40$ or higher per monthÖAlthough I might be able to find a summer special. One is 24/7, another is close to 24/7, and the other two have crossfit capabilities.

Itís really something that Iíve wanted for quite a few years. Itís towards wanting to look better, but at the same time to expand my athletic ability and fitness overall as you said. Iíve always been fairly athletic so I donít think it would take an incremental amount to boost that overall. I eventually would like to hike some crazy trails and mountains too.

Iíve been through friends and classmates taking massive amounts of supplements. Ones that even had a month of recovery pills for afterwards. I wouldnít want to take anything other then what you mentioned in basic creatine and protein. I mix in fish oil in the mornings with my daily vitamin.

Morning (1 being the most likely):
    (1) 3 scrambled eggs with spinach & a wheat bagel
    (2) Cereal with a banana
    (3) Waffles or Bagel with plain cream cheese

Lunch:
    (1) Turkey/Ham/Cheese/3rd Meat/Spinach sandwich on wheat bread + fruit cup + chips/pretzels/some type of bar.
    (2) Chicken nuggets/Leftover pizza/tunafish sandwich/etc

Dinner:
    This varies the most out of anything. Generally have at least 3 cooked meals per week with one of them being fish. Each meal will have a vegetable + something else (tater tots for example) or more likely two vegetables. Eat a lot of leftovers of previous meals. We eat a lot of spaghetti too with either shrimp, meatballs, or sausage.
    I have at times a bad habit of eating breakfast late and then ending up eating junk towards the end of the night from 9:30-11:00 PM. I pretty consistently make it a point to eat fruit for different snacks through the day (cantaloupe, apple, clementine, honeydew, grapes) . I also mix in different junk food at times through the day (jell-o pudding, chips, cookies, baked goods). I used to eat ice cream every night and now itís more of a once a week type thing.

Just as I sit and think about it I definitely donít think Iím taking in enough calories. The plan is to get a membership within the next couple days. I know the hardest thing to do is make a drastic change to the diet so Iíd be more looking to make some tweaks that aim for a long term mentality.

This is the protein that I have: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutri...000GIPJ0M?th=1
    Last edited by Westbrook36; 04-22-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbrook36 View Post
    No worries on response time

I unfortunately donít really have any chain gyms that are close enough. I have four gyms within a 15 minute distance that are all 40$ or higher per monthÖAlthough I might be able to find a summer special. One is 24/7, another is close to 24/7, and the other two have crossfit capabilities.

Itís really something that Iíve wanted for quite a few years. Itís towards wanting to look better, but at the same time to expand my athletic ability and fitness overall as you said. Iíve always been fairly athletic so I donít think it would take an incremental amount to boost that overall. I eventually would like to hike some crazy trails and mountains too.

Iíve been through friends and classmates taking massive amounts of supplements. Ones that even had a month of recovery pills for afterwards. I wouldnít want to take anything other then what you mentioned in basic creatine and protein. I mix in fish oil in the mornings with my daily vitamin.

Morning (1 being the most likely):
    (1) 3 scrambled eggs with spinach & a wheat bagel
    (2) Cereal with a banana
    (3) Waffles or Bagel with plain cream cheese

Lunch:
    (1) Turkey/Ham/Cheese/3rd Meat/Spinach sandwich on wheat bread + fruit cup + chips/pretzels/some type of bar.
    (2) Chicken nuggets/Leftover pizza/tunafish sandwich/etc

Dinner:
    This varies the most out of anything. Generally have at least 3 cooked meals per week with one of them being fish. Each meal will have a vegetable + something else (tater tots for example) or more likely two vegetables. Eat a lot of leftovers of previous meals. We eat a lot of spaghetti too with either shrimp, meatballs, or sausage.
    I have at times a bad habit of eating breakfast late and then ending up eating junk towards the end of the night from 9:30-11:00 PM. I pretty consistently make it a point to eat fruit for different snacks through the day (cantaloupe, apple, clementine, honeydew, grapes) . I also mix in different junk food at times through the day (jell-o pudding, chips, cookies, baked goods). I used to eat ice cream every night and now itís more of a once a week type thing.

Just as I sit and think about it I definitely donít think Iím taking in enough calories. The plan is to get a membership within the next couple days. I know the hardest thing to do is make a drastic change to the diet so Iíd be more looking to make some tweaks that aim for a long term mentality.

This is the protein that I have: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutri...000GIPJ0M?th=1
    That sucks that you have no chain gyms, but $40 isn't too terrible.
    The last thing you said it probably the most important thing out of everything. You obviously want to make and see changes, but there really is no rush on it. Sometimes being so drastic from the start is too tough mentally for some people to deal with and they end up giving up. Small changes is definitely the way to go. Your diet definitely needs some cleaning up, but it does not need to happen overnight. Just start removing the junk little by little until you are eating healthy 80+% of the time.

I'm not sure if that protein is the best option for you. Something like that which has 250 grams of carbs is more designed for extreme hardgainers. Hard gainers are usually people who are extremely lean that struggle to put on any kind of weight on whether its muscle or fat. Based on the description of your body type, I wouldn't put you in that category. Taking that protein plus the bread, pasta, fruit, snacks, you are eating on a daily basis will easily put you at 2000+ calories a day...just from carbs. Carbs are not a bad thing, and I am all for them but that seems a bit extreme.