Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Mets win

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3

    1 25.00%
  • 2

    2 50.00%
  • 1

    1 25.00%
  • 0

    0 0%
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 376 to 383 of 383
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    38,260
    Obviously Murphy had a better year, but portraying Walker is some garbage player is asinine.

    I always wondered if Murphy's attitude towards people who have an alternative lifestyle was the reason Mets didn't pursue Murphy.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Murphy posted a 5.5 WAR, Zobrist posted a 4.0 and Walker posted a WAR of 3.7 in 113 games last year.

    If Walker played the same amount of games as Murphy his WAR would have been 4.6, explain to me how the Mets messed up again?

    Murphy posted a slash line of .416-AVG/.412-OBP/.848-SLG/1.260-OPS/.431-ISO pulling the ball last year.

    Walker posted a slash line of .377-AVG/.377-OBP/.812-SLG/1.188-OPS/.435-ISO pulling the ball last year.
    This is where WAR comes up short. Walker was very good for us, but he was nowhere near the hitter Murphy was.

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    9,120
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    This is where WAR comes up short. Walker was very good for us, but he was nowhere near the hitter Murphy was.
    Walker was better in his first year with us, than Murphy ever was in a full season for us. So...yea, in hindsight, it was a mistake because Murphy was unreal last year. If you predicted that, you're either lying to yourself or you're in the wrong business.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    61,748
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    This is where WAR comes up short. Walker was very good for us, but he was nowhere near the hitter Murphy was.
    Yeah and Walker got hurt and missed the rest of the season. He had a history of some back issues.

    Murphy would have been huge in the postseason for us.

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,594
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Murphy was a consistent 2-3 WAR player at 2B and our best contact bat before he even started hitting for power.

    No one internal was going to replace that production. And btw they paid 8 figures for Walker to replace Murphy so yeah. It's not like they went internal at 2B right out of the gate.

    Nothing screamed fluke about Murphy's performance. The Mets ****ed up by not keeping him.
    Not all his contact was good contact. No one would ever describe Murph as the most disciplined hitter and his OB skills were average at best.

    Flores posted a 112 wRC+ last year. In the previous 4 seasons prior to 2016, Murphy posted a 102 wRC+, 106 wRC+, 110 wRC+, and a 109 wRC+. Yes I get the fact that he did most of that damage against LHP but this is why the Mets thought they had capable replacements. I think most Met fans would have agreed with that notion prior to Murphy going off for the last 2 months of 2015 as well.

    They paid 8 figures to bring Walker back this season. Their contracts essentially offset each other in 2016 when the Mets dumped Niese on the Pirates. I'm sure their plans were to integrate these guys in and I would almost bet next year Walker is not our 2nd baseman. Its either Cabrera or Cecchini.

    Great 2nd half of one season after a career (7 years) of being a slightly above average bat is the textbook definition of fluke. That's just about describes everyone on the link I posted.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-26-2017 at 09:01 PM.

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    61,748
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Not all his contact was good contact. No one would ever describe Murph as the most disciplined hitter and his OB skills were average at best.

    Flores posted a 112 wRC+ last year. In the previous 4 seasons prior to 2016, Murphy posted a 102 wRC+, 106 wRC+, 110 wRC+, and a 109 wRC+. Yes I get the fact that he did most of that damage against LHP but this is why the Mets thought they had capable replacements. I think most Met fans would have agreed with that notion prior to Murphy going off for the last 2 months of 2015 as well.

    They paid 8 figures to bring Walker back this season. Their contracts essentially offset each other in 2016 when the Mets dumped Niese on the Pirates. I'm sure their plans were to integrate these guys in and I would almost bet next year Walker is not our 2nd baseman. Its either Cabrera or Cecchini.

    Great 2nd half of one season after a career (7 years) of being a slightly above average bat is the textbook definition of fluke. That's just about describes everyone on the link I posted.
    Except Murphy wasn't a fluke lol.

    I'm sorry but your point doesn't make any sense.

    He improved his core skills. It doesn't matter what age he made it happen.

    And 29 years old is the around the peak for a lot of players too anyway, so it's not that crazy.

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,594
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Except Murphy wasn't a fluke lol.

    I'm sorry but your point doesn't make any sense.

    He improved his core skills. It doesn't matter what age he made it happen.

    And 29 years old is the around the peak for a lot of players too anyway, so it's not that crazy.
    I'm not saying he was a fluke. I'm saying you can understand why the perception was that he was a fluke though. There is a reason why teams weren't backing up a truck load of cash at his doorstep when he hit FA.

    How do you determine improving core skills? A lot of guys go through mechanical changes in their swings with short term positive results. How many guys can you know of that became great players after years of being average ones? I'm not talking about the PED era in baseball, either.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-27-2017 at 12:04 AM.

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,594
    Guess I shouldn't hold my breath on all these guys who went from being years of average bats to becoming great hitters...

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •