View Poll Results: Mets win

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll

1 25.00%

2 50.00%

1 25.00%

0 0%
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    This team is a ****ing sinking ship right now. Back to back series losses against inferior competition. Going into a series against the top division competitor. Seemingly about to lose the star hitter for some time. Suspect BP and **** offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JRollins Hater View Post
    I feel like the Nats are going to steamroll the Mets this weekend. If the Mets win one game I'll be pleasantly surprised
    This. About to be 5 games back.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Walker's better defensively, but not by some huge margin. I think last year's defensive metrics were probably a fluke. Murphy is one of the best hitters in the game now.
    Walker was clearly a significan upgrade defensively last year, and he also was a far better offensive player than Murphy ever was playing 2B as a Met.

We'll see this year if Murphy is really one of the best hitters in the game, or he had a career year in 2016. Right now, his stats aren't much different than they've been in his years with the Mets. He's hitting .344 .375 .557 .932 with 7 doubles, 2 HR, and 10 RBI , 3 BB, and 4 K in 61 AB's.

As a point of reference, I selected his stats in 2013, when everyone was once again sure he was finally going to be the hitter we all knew he'd be. He was hitting .352/.390/.630/1.019 with 2 HR, 7 Doubles, 9 RBI, 4 BB, and 7 K.

Last year, his slash line was off the charts, and his BABIP was well over .400. We'll see if he really is that hitter, or just getting off to a typical Daniel Murphy start.

People are seriously overreacting in April. It's funny. I lost count last year how many times we had "no chance at the playoffs" and made it.

Obviously we're losing some games we probably shouldn't, but so have the Nats. Chill. It's a long season.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 04-21-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    By Sunday, the Mets will be officially eliminated from not only the NL East race, but the Wild Card. IT'S OVER!!!

See you guys in 2042.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Walker was clearly a significan upgrade defensively last year, and he also was a far better offensive player than Murphy ever was playing 2B as a Met.

We'll see this year if Murphy is really one of the best hitters in the game, or he had a career year in 2016. Right now, his stats aren't much different than they've been in his years with the Mets. He's hitting .344 .375 .557 .932 with 7 doubles, 2 HR, and 10 RBI , 3 BB, and 4 K in 61 AB's.

As a point of reference, I selected his stats in 2013, when everyone was once again sure he was finally going to be the hitter we all knew he'd be. He was hitting .352/.390/.630/1.019 with 2 HR, 7 Doubles, 9 RBI, 4 BB, and 7 K.

Last year, his slash line was off the charts, and his BABIP was well over .400. We'll see if he really is that hitter, or just getting off to a typical Daniel Murphy start.
    Murphy is just destroying the ball right now with an obscene line drive rate of 42% which leads all of baseball. So I don't think his BABIP is fluke-ish at all.

His wOBA+ thus far is more or less exactly where it was for the duration of last year so it seems like he just picked up from where he left off.

I don't know how the Mets let Murphy go literally right after he put up one of the all time great playoff performances for 3/36. For chump change like that, even if it was just a fluke, you had to take a chance on him having made the adjustments to become an elite hitter (which it seems like he eventually did anyway.) To put that in perspective, the Mets took a shot at Oliver Perez for 3/36 to see what he can do.

4 Ks in 61 ABs is amazing.

That ability to make contact along with his new power is why he's become such a great hitter.

Murphy is for real. It's time to get used to him being a ~.320+ kind of hitter IMO.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/there...daniel-murphy/

There Is No Stopping Daniel Murphy

by Craig Edwards - April 12, 2017

You could be forgiven, heading into last season, for thinking that Daniel Murphy would fail to carry over the magic of his 2015 playoff performance into the 2016 campaign. Many teams seem to have had similar suspicions: a free agent, Murphy received just $37.5 million over three years to sign with Washington. The Nationals were immediately rewarded: Murphy recorded nearly six wins for the club, basically providing a full return on Washington’s investment in just the first year of the contract.

Despite the wild success of Murphy’s 2016 campaign, it’s possible you had your doubts going into the current season, as well. Murphy was entering his age-32 season. His success last season was built in part on a very high BABIP. He doesn’t walk a ton. The projections were pegging him for just short of three wins this year. There was plenty of reason to expect some regression.

Early in the 2017 season, however, Daniel Murphy’s play is dispelling whatever doubts remained about the legitimacy of last year’s breakout.

After just eight games, Murphy already has 17 hits, seven for extra bases. He’s gotten at least one hit in every game, gotten at least two hits in six of eight games — including a three-hit game and last night’s four-hit game. With two doubles and a homer yesterday, Murphy is hitting .472/.486/.778 with a wRC+ of 230. It’s easy to say that it’s only eight games, but if Murphy gets another 550 plate appearances on the season and hits “only” his projected 118 wRC+ over the course of it, he’ll still record a 125 wRC+ overall. Over his last 200 games dating back to August 1, 2015, Murphy has a 153 wRC+ and that doesn’t even include another 86 postseason plate appearances where that number was close to 200. Murphy has been a really good hitter for quite some time, and it doesn’t look like he’s slowing down.

If you recall, Murphy did this exact same thing at the beginning of last season, hitting .480/.581/.880 with a 277 wRC+ after eight games. There were still skeptics at that point, and there were still skeptics a month later when Dave Cameron asked everyone to buy into Daniel Murphy. Over the winter, Jeff Sullivan looked at Murphy’s unique skillset, which includes a whole lot of power and a whole lot of contact. Sullivan noted that, in recent history, only Victor Martinez and Nomar Garciaparra have had seasons like Murphy’s 2016. Going further back into the past we find Hall of Famers like George Brett and Tris Speaker...
    But Neil Walker turns a heck of a double play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Murphy is just destroying the ball right now with an obscene line drive rate of 42% which leads all of baseball. So I don't think his BABIP is fluke-ish at all.

His wOBA+ thus far is more or less exactly where it was for the duration of last year so it seems like he just picked up from where he left off.

I don't know how the Mets let Murphy go literally right after he put up one of the all time great playoff performances for 3/36. For chump change like that, even if it was just a fluke, you had to take a chance on him having made the adjustments to become an elite hitter (which it seems like he eventually did anyway.) To put that in perspective, the Mets took a shot at Oliver Perez for 3/36 to see what he can do.
    Fred's guy Alderson had anointed Dilson Herrera as The Future at 2B, mainly because he worked for minimum wage. The team has an aversion to paying players market rate. Also, Alderson doesn't like guys who swing at too many pitches. He prefers players who take lots of pitches.

It was a tragic combination of skinflint ownership and The Smartest Guy In The Room.
    Last edited by Coupon; 04-21-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

Fred's guy Alderson had anointed Dilson Herrera as The Future at 2B, mainly because he worked for minimum wage. The team has an aversion to paying players market rate. Also, Alderson doesn't like guys who swing at too many pitches. He prefers players who take lots of pitches.

It was a tragic combination of skinflint ownership and The Smartest Guy In The Room.
    I wonder what the market rate for Murphy is right now.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this might end up being one of the dumbest cheapskate moves in history.

I don't think it's fair to blame Alderson. If he had an effectively unlimited budget like the Dodgers I think we see a different team out there.

I wonder what the market rate for Murphy is right now.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this might end up being one of the dumbest cheapskate moves in history.

I don't think it's fair to blame Alderson. If he had an effectively unlimited budget like the Dodgers I think we see a different team out there.
    You shouldn't need an effectively unlimited budget to sign a guy for 3/36.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

Repeating the same argument over and over doesn't make you correct. They've been paying Neil Walker the last year and change for the exact reason of not turning it over to a rookie. So that's strike 1.

Strike 2, higher contact %s don't usually correlate to more player success. It mostly suggests the player has below average plate discipline (ala Wilmer Flores) who you keep telling everyone can hit RHP and should be playing 2nd base everyday.

Strike 3, is that smartest guy in the room hired the guy (Kevin Long) who has presumably contributed the most to Murphy's new found success.

Say what you will but Murphy wasn't this major sought after commodity the Mets missed out on at the time in which he hit FA. There is a reason why he signed for the money he did even with his ability to play multiple positions in the field. Most teams looked at him as an above average hitter at 2nd base but no where else with ****** defensive skills.

Neil Walker is a good god damn 2nd baseman. Stop the ********.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-21-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Murphy should've been our first baseman right now

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    By Sunday, the Mets will be officially eliminated from not only the NL East race, but the Wild Card. IT'S OVER!!!

See you guys in 2042.
    Blah, blah, blah. Snarky ********. Snarky ********. Got it. Thanks.

Would have Murphy had this much success without having Rick Schu & Jacques Jones as his hitting coaches?

Just this past two seasons Murphy has been hitting more FBs than GBs. He's altered his swing to cause more lift. The question is would the Mets have done that, or has the National's hitting coaches found something.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I hate this season so far... While we have crap from Granderson, Reyes, Walker, and injuries from Duda and Cespedes. The Nationals have Harper producing, Murphy being Murphy, Zimmerman hitting, Werth hitting, and etc. Like we are completely going in opposite direction

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast