Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The defense needs better rushing--not better coverage

I felt that this subject needed its own thread, because much of what I've read about the Raiders will argue that they need a corner-back or linebacker. The reality is... the Raiders need to improve the pass rush, which is where the Raiders ranked next to last (if not last) with the exception of Defensive Player of the Year, Khalil Mack. Eleven sacks from one defender isn't good enough, even if he helped Bruce Irvin to a career year statistically.

The defensive line was a mess, plain and simple. With a better line, the Raiders will have a better pass rush and with a better pass rush--things will get easier for the defensive backs.

When it comes to injuries, Mario Edwards Jr has been out, but injuries can be the result of different things: conditioning is one, scheme is two, and the other is whether the offense is targeting that guy with double-teams or is able to overwhelm him and get him out of position to where he can get hit at awkward angles. Getting pushed forward and onto your back is not the same as being pushed to the side while your knees are bending. I think Edwards could be a force on the d-line with better play from the interior, where Stacy McGee, Dan Williams, and Justin Ellis played well but were injured at different times. They were also run-stuffers, when the Raiders would benefit from an inside rusher.

That's why I think the Raiders would be best off (and I've been seeing this in the sports media) by trading down in the first round and taking defensive tackle Caleb Brantley from Florida. He was not a full-time starter in college but that probably works with what the Raiders do in rotating defensive linemen. In the 2nd round, the Raiders should target linebacker Raekwon McMillan from Ohio State and if the Raiders are lucky, CB Jalen Myrick from Minnesota will be on the board in the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkertoys View Post
    I felt that this subject needed its own thread, because much of what I've read about the Raiders will argue that they need a corner-back or linebacker. The reality is... the Raiders need to improve the pass rush, which is where the Raiders ranked next to last (if not last) with the exception of Defensive Player of the Year, Khalil Mack. Eleven sacks from one defender isn't good enough, even if he helped Bruce Irvin to a career year statistically.

The defensive line was a mess, plain and simple. With a better line, the Raiders will have a better pass rush and with a better pass rush--things will get easier for the defensive backs.

When it comes to injuries, Mario Edwards Jr has been out, but injuries can be the result of different things: conditioning is one, scheme is two, and the other is whether the offense is targeting that guy with double-teams or is able to overwhelm him and get him out of position to where he can get hit at awkward angles. Getting pushed forward and onto your back is not the same as being pushed to the side while your knees are bending. I think Edwards could be a force on the d-line with better play from the interior, where Stacy McGee, Dan Williams, and Justin Ellis played well but were injured at different times. They were also run-stuffers, when the Raiders would benefit from an inside rusher.

That's why I think the Raiders would be best off (and I've been seeing this in the sports media) by trading down in the first round and taking defensive tackle Caleb Brantley from Florida. He was not a full-time starter in college but that probably works with what the Raiders do in rotating defensive linemen. In the 2nd round, the Raiders should target linebacker Raekwon McMillan from Ohio State and if the Raiders are lucky, CB Jalen Myrick from Minnesota will be on the board in the 3rd round.
    A pass rush is nice but it doesn't solve some of the problems the D had last year. They do need a D lineman, but they also need a LB and a DB. When you play against guys like Brady, Rogers and Brees, a pass rush doesn't stop them all of the time. Other than that, I do agree with your draft strategy, regardless of who they draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    A pass rush is nice but it doesn't solve some of the problems the D had last year. They do need a D lineman, but they also need a LB and a DB. When you play against guys like Brady, Rogers and Brees, a pass rush doesn't stop them all of the time. Other than that, I do agree with your draft strategy, regardless of who they draft.
    Agreed.Some teams when playing against us make sure the QB gets the ball out of their hands quickly so our dominant rushers are taken out of the game.Thus we need better Linebacker and DB play.

I would love for us to draft Kpassagnon, a fully committed Malik McDowell or Wormley though along with MLB and DBS.Rush and coverage need to work together.

Our DBs are bigger and slower... this works when you have a good pass rush and CB speed isn't as important. So improving our pass rush would also help our DBs look better.

I think a good LB would help both the secondary and the line. That should be our top priority. Getting a LB who can cover abs is physical enough to play against the run and get sacks is difficult to find. That should be our first goal.

Then pass rush and CBS. But if you really want to improve your secondary, you can't just get one good CB. You need 3 new CBs and maybe a safety. Improving pass rush will really just take a great DT and LB.

I think the secondary will be better if pagano plays press man coverage. That's were amerson and smith excel. Jam those wr at the line and give Irvin and Mack time to get upfield. Also a good slot corner and middle linebacker that can cover the te. Don't pay guys 8-9 million a year then use them outta their comfort zone. That being said, if they don't want to play press man, trade smith and a 4th to Seattle and get Sherman. 😎
    RaiderFreak

Quote Originally Posted by Jrockmvp View Post
    I think the secondary will be better if pagano plays press man coverage. That's were amerson and smith excel. Jam those wr at the line and give Irvin and Mack time to get upfield. Also a good slot corner and middle linebacker that can cover the te. Don't pay guys 8-9 million a year then use them outta their comfort zone. That being said, if they don't want to play press man, trade smith and a 4th to Seattle and get Sherman. 😎
    Smith got beat more than a dirty rug. I don't think anyone wants him. I could see him getting cut if we pick up a starting DB.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Smith got beat more than a dirty rug. I don't think anyone wants him. I could see him getting cut if we pick up a starting DB.
    He did have a rough year, but it wasn't all his fault.

Expecting him to cover the other teams small and fast receiver isn't going to be good for him. He fares much better with the bigger receivers in the league like D. Thomas, Jefferey, M. Evans, D. Bryant, etc...

Those are the guys that he is well suited to match up with.

Unfortunately, we've seen a change of the tide with the NFL. A lot of the premier receivers are small "slot" guys now. This is a newer phenomena and we need a CB that matches up well with those guys.
    [SIGPIC]

1st let me say the sad part about all of this is that people remember that Saints game where Smith was terrible, but by seasons end and the total body of work he was better than Amerson. With that being said I like them both and think we are fine at that position, but need depth as I don't see Carrie as an adequate Nickel more of a versatile back up/dime type.

Secondly as far as pass rush goes this works hand in hand, both coverage and rush must improve in order for the defense to improve. You can have a great pass rush, but when you face a ball control passing offense such as NE, KC, and GB they throw so many underneath and short routes the rush doesn't have much time to get there, if our LBs can't defend their running backs on those quick underneath routes and our nickel can't guard Edelman underneath pass rush is useless.

They work hand in hand.

I know I know far less about schemes and principles of football than some on here. However, from my eyes our defenses two biggest needs are interior push. And coverage of the TE. I hope our top two picks are DT and MLB/ILB.

I agree, i think the biggest problems with this defense are in the Defensive line, especially DT. Very little production from them, to say the least.

If Edwards jr stays healthy and Ward steps up we will be fine, Edwards didn't play much last year and that hurt us, also Calhoun got hurt and i liked some things i seen of him he's another guy i except to step up.
    Last edited by 707raiders; 04-18-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 707raiders View Post
    If Edwards jr stays healthy and Ward steps up we will be fine, Edwards didn't play much last year and that hurt us.
    I agree. Additionally every mock shows us selecting another DT in the draft, we cut Williams, that draft pick will replace him at a much cheaper price. Add a MLB and a 3rd corner to the mix and we will be pretty good.

I'm Your Huckleberry.

Our DT, DT, MLB situation is the problem. Some of the NFLs worst to be honest. QBs step up in the pocket all day long because we have statues in the middle of our D

I think it might be a sign that two DTs from last year are no longer on the team

I couldn't agree more. Everybody thinks the Raiders should draft a cornerback. But the Raider DBs including T.J. Carrie were given good ratings by Pro Football Focus. The real problem was the lack of pass rush from the front seven.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast