• 1: We suck

0 0%
  • 2: We suck

1 25.00%
  • 3: The Right Choice

1 25.00%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    It's also an indictment on how the team has been hitting the ball hard very infrequently. KB and Zo are down 4-5 MPH from last year. Zobrist looks like he needs rest already lol

Hope they get this in order. A KB averaging 85 MPH isn't likely to hit 40 bombs or hit close to 300. His launch angle is too high when coupled with that EV to come close to those numbers.
    I am a big believer in baseball players eventually getting to their norms. Or at least very close to their norms. Unless age catches up to them (which can happen with Zobrist- but I do not think so yet) or they are injured or just a fluke season (Heyward in 2016?). So I am not really too worried about Bryant, Rizzo and even Russell. If anything I feel those guys will actually do better than what they have done up to 2017. They are still young, so IMO they should get even a little better. Same with Contreras. So to me, if Heyward keeps hitting and his EV stays where it is the Cubs will be in great shape because they will another solid hitter in the line up. KB, Rizzo and the others will get to their numbers, IMO.

I'm not concerned. I'm just keeping note. I should have said, get this in order soon , because I want KBooms aplenty.

Also, Rizzo's EV is normal, Russell's is up, just to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I'm not concerned. I'm just keeping note. I should have said, get this in order soon , because I want KBooms aplenty.

Also, Rizzo's EV is normal, Russell's is up, just to be clear.
    I am not even talking about EV. I just mean in general I believe guys get to their career numbers for the most part unless they age, get hurt or have a fluke year. And by aging that can also be a good thing. A guy like Russell should get better as he ages. Same with Schwarber, Bryant, Baez, Contreras and even Almora. While Zobrist might decline some. However, I have to admit Baez concerns me a little. I am hoping Heyward's poor 2016 was a result of a fluke year and nagging injuries. He is too young to forgotten how to hit, IMO.

That said, career norms should lead the Cubs to a very successful season again. Right now playing below expectations and being 8-7 is a good sign. If they can do that while "playing poorly" they are going to win many, many games when they start clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think all the Cubs starters are down on their velocity. It could be because they were also used less often then most teams used their starters this spring due to the long season last year and what we hope will be a long season this year. I know Arrieta is down and so is Hendricks. I think Lackey is a tick or two down as well. But I do think it is by design (due to a limited amount of innings so far) and expect them to be picking up in the next few starts. At least, I hope that is the case. In the meantime, if they can hover around 500 or a little over they will be fine.
    They are dead last in the NL at 90 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL:31576528
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I didn't get a chance to watch this game yet, but was Hendricks really only hitting 84? I know there is some talk of holding back a bit, but I don't think he or anyone can survive at 84.
    I don't really pay attention to the readings much, but, to me, it looked like the Brewers were sitting on pitches and Kyle was predictable. He didn't seem to get many favorable calls on the edges and had to cross the plate more than he would like. I'm not sure we can say that his command wasn't/isn't there because there have been times where he has painted the same corner several times in a row and just didn't get the calls.

Honestly I feel like he's getting Kuechel'd... hitters are laying off the tough pitches and forcing him to throw strikes. They don't seem all too deceived by his pitches and aren't chasing much.
    I'm not sure what the difference is between the pitch F/X numbers vs the other numbers Fangraphs uses but if you go by that batters are chasing more pitches out of the zone in last. His strike percentage is down a few points and he is throwing the change up less. Maybe falling behind in the count more is causing him to throw more fastballs?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    WHO? Do you mean Davis? He has actually been really good. Just hope he can stay healthy.
    "Actually" been good? Hasn't Wade Davis been an elite pitcher for years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819