Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

2017 Offseason Discussion

Thanks for another fun year talking Kings Basketball. The season is over, so it's time to look forward. For the first time in a while there is actually a future to be somewhat proud of. Use this thread to talk about the Offseason. It's an important one. We'll likely have 2 top 10 picks and a ton of cap space.

A few important storylines to follow (there are more):

NBA Draft - Two top 10 picks, will they keep both or package them in a trade?
    NBA Lottery - May 16
    Draft Day - June 22

Bogdan Bogdanovic - Is he coming over? What kind of a contract will he get?

Rudy Gay's option - Will he opt out or opt in?

NBA Free Agency - Kings have a ton of cap space, who should they target?

Progression of: Buddy Hield, WCS, Skal, Malachi

How will the Kings address their point guard spot? Re-sign Ty or Darren?

Will the Kings make any changes to their Front Office?

---

Post rumors/updates/reports here. Any Major news should get its own thread.
    Kings

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Several of those player option decisions are due either on a specific date or a certain number of days following a team’s final regular season game. For instance, Rudy Gay‘s player option calls for him to make a decision either on June 10, or five days after the Kings’ last game, whichever comes first. Since Sacramento won’t make the playoffs this season, Gay’s player option decision date will arrive early — he’ll have to make a call next month, which will be interesting, since he’s still recovering from a season-ending Achilles injury.

Does this mean Rudy Gay only has 5 days to either opt in or out? That was from hoopsrumors.com.

Also says June 24 for Langston Galloway to either opt in or out of his player option.

If Rudy Gay has to decide 5 days after the last regular season game then tomorrow is the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    If Rudy Gay has to decide 5 days after the last regular season game then tomorrow is the deadline.
    STR reported that tomorrow is Rudy's deadline. I haven't read any rumors going either way regarding his decision.

I'm leaning toward I want him to opt in. He'll become a trade-able asset. Better to get something for him than nothing.
    Kings

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

i would agree with that, but the man said he wouldn't. i would like the people on our team to have some integrity.

A few important storylines to follow (there are more):

NBA Draft - Two top 10 picks, will they keep both or package them in a trade?
    NBA Lottery - May 16
    Draft Day - June 22

I think we will get 2 lottery picks. We will address point guard in the draft and if whoever Vlade wants does not fall to him, I see him trading the second pick for 2 later 1st rounders or a first this year and next. Either way PG will be addressed.

Bogdan Bogdanovic - Is he coming over? What kind of a contract will he get?

He will not come over next year. just a feeling.

Rudy Gay's option - Will he opt out or opt in?

He will opt in and be traded. I feel he needs to show something after the injury. I would not mind keeping him. His scoring and veteran leadership can be great. Plus we have so much cap space we may need to reach the min.

NBA Free Agency - Kings have a ton of cap space, who should they target?

I just don't wand to see the kings throw a bunch of money at a player just bc they can. Throw money at Paul George and pray... Try to lure IT and Avery Bradley to sac town.... Maybe Gordon Hayward....

More realistically... I would try for Jrue Holiday....and Will Barton... never know .. maybe we could get lucky with the others mentioned?

Progression of: Buddy Hield, WCS, Skal, Malachi

I can see Hield, Skal, and Malachi improving greatly ... WCS i expect the same....Would be nice to see if Hield can learn the point.

How will the Kings address their point guard spot? Re-sign Ty or Darren?
    PG will be addressed in draft. I think TY will return. I really hope we make a run at Holiday.

Will the Kings make any changes to their Front Office?
    No changes ... we need to stick with consistency for a change

I can't see us trading down with our second pick. With two lottery picks, an early second rounder, and Bogdan potentially coming over, that's four rookies on the roster next season. Combine that with our four rookies from this year plus WCS, that's already a whole lot of youth. I don't see us trying to pick up an extra pick.

I'm hoping Rudy opts in, if only because he is a decent trade chip.

I'm hoping we don't make any splashy moves in free agency. I'd prefer the Kings to not get bogged down by a long-term contract. I'd like the FO to have time to evaluate the talent that we already have then use our cap space next summer when we have a better idea of what we need.

The one move I do believe we need to make is to sign a veteran PG. My preference would be to re-sign DC.

James Ham reported that the Rudy Gay opt decision date is in JUNE.
    Kings

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    James Ham reported that the Rudy Gay opt decision date is in JUNE.
    Yeah i was wondering about that, it's past 12 and we don't have any news.

June 10th is the date. 12 days before the draft.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/4...0th-to-opt-out

The Kings Roster looks like this after the season.

Point Guards:
    Langston Galloway (5.4 million) player option. James Ham said on his podcast that it looks like he is going to opt in.

Shooting Guards:
    Arron Afflalo (12.5 million) team option. He has a 1.5 million buy out. I would guess the Kings trade him or buy him out.
    Garrett Temple (8 million)
    Buddy Hield (3.6 million)
    Malachi Richardson (1.5 million)

Small Forwards:
    Rudy Gay (14.2 million) player option.

Power Forwards:
    Anthony Tolliver (8 million) team option. Has a 2 million buy out. I would guess the Kings would keep him. Got to have some vets on this team.
    Skal Labissiere (1.2 million)

Centers:
    Kosta Koufos (8.3 million)
    Willie Cauley-Stein (3.7 million)
    Georgios Papagiannis (2.3 million)

Then you have Ben Mclemore who is a restricted free agent. I don't see the Kings matching it since were is he going to play. Bogdan Bogdanovic may or may not come over.

If everyone is still on the team at the start of the basketball year the Kings cap would be about 75.4 million (that is with Matt Barnes 6.4 million in dead money). That is no with Ben coming back or taking into account Bogdan Bogdanovic contract. It would also be 11 players. 12 with Bogdanovic. Add in 3 rookies and roster is full.

If it plays out how I think it will Rudy opting out and Afflalo getting cut and Ben no being back. The Kings cap space will be without Bogdanovic and 3 rookies would be about 48.4 million. it would be 9 players, 10 with Bogdanovic, 13 with rookies. 2 free spots (I think 15 is the max could be wrong on that).

To give a frame of reference the Kings spent about 95 million this year with the salary cap at 94.14 million while the salary floor was about 84.7 million. I would assume there will be a nice jump this year again since the new TV money is still kicking in. In the second scenario the Kings would have to send at least 36 million (more with the floor going up) on 6 spots while 3 are rookies.

I was bored while watching the playoffs. Number could be off a little due to bad math.

Well if Rudy opts out and Afflalo gets cut that would give the Kings over $50m not counting rookie contracts since rookie contracts vary on the position count in the fact Bogdan gets a rookie scale deal and you have about $50m with the rookie contracts maybe a bit less because of the raise in cap so lets see if they can do anything with that money

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
    Well if Rudy opts out and Afflalo gets cut that would give the Kings over $50m not counting rookie contracts since rookie contracts vary on the position count in the fact Bogdan gets a rookie scale deal and you have about $50m with the rookie contracts maybe a bit less because of the raise in cap so lets see if they can do anything with that money
    Bogdan is not going to be on a rookie scale, that's one of the reasons why he didn't come over last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sneak View Post
    Bogdan is not going to be on a rookie scale, that's one of the reasons why he didn't come over last year.
    I kinda hope that he waits a year before coming over. We already have 3 SG's (assuming we don't re-sign Ben and we waive Afflalo). I'd like to see Richardson get some run so we can see what he has. Also, not having Bogdan helps in the 2018 tank.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast