Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    They need to try though, imo.

They wouldn't have essentially shutout another playoff team 3 out of 4 games lol.

Seabs,Hammer,Hossa all need to be on the block. Can't keep Campbell or Oduya.

We're just too slow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Yikes. It was a tough four games and I'm as disappointed as the rest of you, but things aren't that grim.

Hjalmarsson is probably the best shot blocker in the league on a bargain contract. No way does a return on him come close to equaling the value the Hawks are currently getting from him.

The sad reality is that Seabrook isn't aging well. He never was fleet of foot, and he's often out of position and not able to jump into the play as effectively as he once was. On his contract, nobody is going to want him and the Hawks likely couldn't move him anyway. I'd really like to see him paired with Keith again. In Seabrook's defense, he played with a mishmash of average defenseman. TVR, Kempny, Campbell. Ever since Oduya left there's been a revolving door on the 2nd pairing and it's a problem. But these days Seabrook isn't capable of anchoring someone who's playing more minutes than they really should be. Keith can. Seabrook can't.

Hossa is still a damn good player at his age and even when he isn't producing he's giving an effort in all three zones. I thought he was one of the better Hawks in this series, but what is he realistically going to do with Tanner Kero centering him?

And that brings me to the depth, which I think is the biggest problem we have. Kero really doesn't fill any specific role. He's just there. Desjardins, Tootoo, Hinostroza, TVR, Kempny, those guys are pretty much just warm bodies. Guys on cheap deals who get thrown into a lineup to fill it out but really have no specific role or function. Hinostroza is a guy I rather like a bit, but he's one dimensional and when he isn't producing anything offensively he isn't going to play.

More than the names you mentioned, I look at Toews as a guy who deserves to be criticized for his play. He's had one goal in the last 13 playoff games and that includes two consecutive 1st round losses. He did nothing offensively in this series and seemed to allow Subban to get under his skin in all four games. He's being paid to be a difference maker, which he hasn't been in the last two playoff series. Linemates probably play a role, yes, but Toews one goal in the last 13 playoff games is pretty inexcusable and certainly deserves to be looked at as contributing factor to our last two playoff exits and the fact that we were shutout twice in four games.

The Hawks missed Shaw. He won board battles, was a net front presence, scored garbage goals and scored big goals. Hartman is a nice player, but he didn't do those things in this series. Shaw's absence was noticeable.

More than anything, though, depth was a killer and the Hawks need to shore it up if there's going to be another deep playoff run. You can't roll out lineups full of Tootoos, Desjardins, Keros, TVRs, and Kempnys and expect to get very far. That's what we've done the last two years in the playoffs and it hasn't worked. It didn't work because we ran into two teams with dare I say better depth who could roll four lines more effectively than the Hawks.

There's work to be done, but the wiggle room is pretty small. We have guys like Tootoo to fill out a roster and not because they fill a role to help us win. I don't see that changing really. It's a nice thought to believe that the stars in this team can carry anyone to a Cup, but that's not reality. A team with a crazy amount of depth exposed the Hawks lack of. That's going to be the Achilles heel going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Yikes. It was a tough four games and I'm as disappointed as the rest of you, but things aren't that grim.

Hjalmarsson is probably the best shot blocker in the league on a bargain contract. No way does a return on him come close to equaling the value the Hawks are currently getting from him.

The sad reality is that Seabrook isn't aging well. He never was fleet of foot, and he's often out of position and not able to jump into the play as effectively as he once was. On his contract, nobody is going to want him and the Hawks likely couldn't move him anyway. I'd really like to see him paired with Keith again. In Seabrook's defense, he played with a mishmash of average defenseman. TVR, Kempny, Campbell. Ever since Oduya left there's been a revolving door on the 2nd pairing and it's a problem. But these days Seabrook isn't capable of anchoring someone who's playing more minutes than they really should be. Keith can. Seabrook can't.

Hossa is still a damn good player at his age and even when he isn't producing he's giving an effort in all three zones. I thought he was one of the better Hawks in this series, but what is he realistically going to do with Tanner Kero centering him?

And that brings me to the depth, which I think is the biggest problem we have. Kero really doesn't fill any specific role. He's just there. Desjardins, Tootoo, Hinostroza, TVR, Kempny, those guys are pretty much just warm bodies. Guys on cheap deals who get thrown into a lineup to fill it out but really have no specific role or function. Hinostroza is a guy I rather like a bit, but he's one dimensional and when he isn't producing anything offensively he isn't going to play.

More than the names you mentioned, I look at Toews as a guy who deserves to be criticized for his play. He's had one goal in the last 13 playoff games and that includes two consecutive 1st round losses. He did nothing offensively in this series and seemed to allow Subban to get under his skin in all four games. He's being paid to be a difference maker, which he hasn't been in the last two playoff series. Linemates probably play a role, yes, but Toews one goal in the last 13 playoff games is pretty inexcusable and certainly deserves to be looked at as contributing factor to our last two playoff exits and the fact that we were shutout twice in four games.

The Hawks missed Shaw. He won board battles, was a net front presence, scored garbage goals and scored big goals. Hartman is a nice player, but he didn't do those things in this series. Shaw's absence was noticeable.

More than anything, though, depth was a killer and the Hawks need to shore it up if there's going to be another deep playoff run. You can't roll out lineups full of Tootoos, Desjardins, Keros, TVRs, and Kempnys and expect to get very far. That's what we've done the last two years in the playoffs and it hasn't worked. It didn't work because we ran into two teams with dare I say better depth who could roll four lines more effectively than the Hawks.

There's work to be done, but the wiggle room is pretty small. We have guys like Tootoo to fill out a roster and not because they fill a role to help us win. I don't see that changing really. It's a nice thought to believe that the stars in this team can carry anyone to a Cup, but that's not reality. A team with a crazy amount of depth exposed the Hawks lack of. That's going to be the Achilles heel going forward.
    Oh, we'll still be a high seed. But we're not going to have a chance to advance in the playoffs until Q commits to young guys to play around Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabs, and Hammer.

Refusing to do that is how you completely collapse and become terrible. Which will happen- if Q and Bowman don't commit to building a younger team.

Unfortunately- even though IMO he's been one of our best players the past 3 seasons or so, trading Crawford to save money may actually be worth looking into. I don't wanna let him go but it may be a good idea if you believe Darling can carry the load.

Like the Blackhawks? Hockey? Sports in general? Create a free account at ProSportsDaily and join in on the conversations today. Signing up takes no time at all, and you can be on the forums posting your opinions before you know it!

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

These guys are all free agents this summer:

Sharp
    Oduya
    Campbell
    Stalberg
    Bollig
    Versteeg
    Desjardins

I wonder what kind of thought Bowman will give to getting the band back together, so to speak. Obvious cap restrictions on a lot of those guys, but it's intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Oh, we'll still be a high seed. But we're not going to have a chance to advance in the playoffs until Q commits to young guys to play around Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabs, and Hammer.

Refusing to do that is how you completely collapse and become terrible. Which will happen- if Q and Bowman don't commit to building a younger team.

Unfortunately- even though IMO he's been one of our best players the past 3 seasons or so, trading Crawford to save money may actually be worth looking into. I don't wanna let him go but it may be a good idea if you believe Darling can carry the load.
    There isn't a lot of real talent in the system. Hayden looks promising and I would've liked for him to get in there in this series. Hinostroza is an average prospect. You'll never get much out of him. I'd have also liked to see Jurco in the lineup, but you can't blame Q much for not putting him in there when he didn't show much after he came over. Motte is a good player, but nothing special. The same can be said for Kero. Forsling hasn't shown much. Gustafsson either.

The only real exciting player we have on the way is Alex DeBrincat. Other than that, there isn't a lot of "wow" talent in the system.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

I'm ok with that. But, as far as turnaround's post- no thanks to all of them.

Like the Blackhawks? Hockey? Sports in general? Create a free account at ProSportsDaily and join in on the conversations today. Signing up takes no time at all, and you can be on the forums posting your opinions before you know it!

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Of those names, Oduya is the only one that I'd be interested in returning. Sharp would feel good, but I'm not sure he has much left in the tank. He seems to have diminished into a pretty one-dimensional player these days. He shoots the puck. That's about it.

That said, it would be nice to have a regular LW on the top line. The revolving door has to stop. I'm just not sure Sharp is the guy for job any longer.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Anisimov wasn't 100% healthy when he came back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kruger needs to go. That's valuable money that could be spread around a lot more usefully.

Bowman was not happy at all regarding this performance at his end of season PC. He said Q will still be HC and there will be changes coming.

Looking forward into what's going to come of these changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#FlyTheW

NL Central? Check. NL Home Field Advantage? Check. 100 Wins? Check. Tie a game? Check. Win the Pennant? Check. Win possibly the greatest World Series of all time? Check.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Bowman was not happy at all regarding this performance at his end of season PC. He said Q will still be HC and there will be changes coming.

Looking forward into what's going to come of these changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same. I think at a minimum, one of (and probably two of) Crawford, Seabrook, Kruger are gone. That would free up valuable cap space. If we can free up cap space, I really want to go for Kevin Shattenkirk. I think he'd be the perfect puck-moving RHD for our system. It could also allow us to take some of the load off of Keith. I wouldn't be surprised if we made a strong push for Matt Duchene, but I'm not sure we have the prospect capital to get him. A trade-up in the draft would be interesting and I'd be really excited since I'll be at the draft this year with my friends.

Over/under on new players on the roster next year: 4. I'm saying over.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    He said Q will still be HC
    It's annoying that this was even asked.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    It's annoying that this was even asked.
    Seriously. If we suffer another 1st round exit next year, then that thought starts getting loud. But this year is too soon to think that. Bandwagon fans

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345