Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    I don't know how you pin it on coles though. It's an organizational philosophy. We strike out a lot but our whole team has potential to hit a homer. By look through our entire organization. That profile applies to Phillips, Brinson, ray, Harrison, gatewood, clark and Diaz. Erceg and (in theory) huira aren't quite as big of strikeout guys, but the rest basically are.

This is the type of player we love. We love highly athletic guys who are toolsy. Those guys are usually prone to strikeout. We have a lot of them.

I get that, but when you're not scoring runs at all the entire second half.....have to do something. This team was scoring 5 runs per game. Now can barely muster 2. I don't necessarily blame Coles, but have to do something IMO.

That's such an overreaction panic move. That's a Cleveland browns, let's just fire someone to blame them move.

Look at our roster. Who has underachieved compared to past performance. Shaw, pina and Santana are having career years. Arcia has shown a fair amount of growth from last year. Villar has regressed, but coles should also get some credit for his major breakout last year. Broxton has been about the same, maybe a little regression. Perez has shown himself to be a fairly capable guy under coles.

I'm not going to count Thames or Aguilar, since neither really has a good recent history in the majors to really tell if they've been better or worse under coles. Sogard is sort of a strange player, so I'm not sure he counts as a pro or con. And Braun has been around long enough that his struggles or successes aren't attributed much to the coach.

It's hard to look at the whole body of work and say coles is doing a bad job. Firing him just to fire him because we over achieved this year and are now underachieving is a bad idea.

Firing the coach would be, but the hitting coach meh. I don't see that as an overreaction. I think somewhat need to shake it up. Brewers fired Yost with 8 games left or something like that in 2008. You would have seen that as an overreaction, no? I mean I am not the biggest Coles guy anyway, but firing the hitting coach when it has been bad for this long doesn't seem to me to be an overreaction. But I can see your point with the roster but seems like it's the hitting coach's job to get these guys to alter their approach a bit. Like Broxton, dude has unreal power but gets pull happy. Cut the swing down. Go to RC.

I like the rest of the staff, Murphy, Johnson but idk maybe I am just too anti-Coles and am letting that cloud my judgement.

I've got to kind of agree with Pack on this one. I'd give Coles another year, but a good coach should make the roster improve as the season goes on, we've gotten worse. That's a bad sign. And its one thing to be a high homerun team that strikes out a lot, but the aproach we have with runners on needs to change. How many times have we seen teams fight off pitches to drive in runs with weak fly balls. And it seems like whenever we have a similar situation we strike out. It is extremely frustrating to have a leadoff double just to watch the next 3 strike out and that happens all the time!

Plus players like Broxton and Villar should not be swinging for the fences regardless, unless they are up in the count and happen to get a pitch they're looking for right where they want it. Instead of just swinging out of their shoes they should be looking to go the opposite way and then pounce on a mistake if one happens.

In short, strikeouts with no one on doesn't bother me, but with RISP they need to find a way to shorten up, work the count, and put the ball in play. And guys like Broxton and Villar need to play within their strenghts and use their speed rather than pulling their heads and swinging so hard their helmets fall off just to strike out at a record pace.

Nelson out for the season. That's really going to put a damper on the rest of the year. The offense is really going to need to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Nelson out for the season. That's really going to put a damper on the rest of the year. The offense is really going to need to step up.
    This sucks because even if we manage to make the playoffs we're not nearly as strong now. I vote Guerra gets the spot unless we have someone else from the minors that can do it. Better not be Garza.

Awesome wins yesterday and today. I'm very bummed about Nelson I'm afraid that's going to be a mountain too tall to climb. Guerra and Garza are both horrible.

Well well well. Very interested to see how this plays out. Really wish we had Nelson healthy

Swept by the Reds and then sweep the Cubs.

Fits the pattern the last few weeks (struggle vs poor competition and beat up on good teams)

Crucial week coming up with series vs PIT and then @MIA and @ PIT before the 4 game series against Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Swept by the Reds and then sweep the Cubs.

Fits the pattern the last few weeks (struggle vs poor competition and beat up on good teams)

Crucial week coming up with series vs PIT and then @MIA and @ PIT before the 4 game series against Chicago
    Every time you think you're out they keep pulling you back in!! The pitching has been unreal. Agree wish Nelson was there, but man crazy when you think of some of the things that have gone wrong or awry this season and with 19 games left are 2 games behind the Cubs. I thought they'd win the series but a sweep was huge. Crazy response after getting swept by Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Every time you think you're out they keep pulling you back in!! The pitching has been unreal. Agree wish Nelson was there, but man crazy when you think of some of the things that have gone wrong or awry this season and with 19 games left are 2 games behind the Cubs. I thought they'd win the series but a sweep was huge. Crazy response after getting swept by Reds.
    It is really shocking. When you look at how Guerra and Peralta were total busts, Neftali Feliz was garbage, bullpen leads the league in blown games, Villar and Broxton have been bad, Braun hurt for 40 games and have his worst offensive season, Anderson hurt for an extended period, Garza unable to get outs, and more! But yet, we are still in this thing in mid September.

Now the pitching matchup heavily favored us over the weekend, but still. Great job by Nelson, Anderson, and Davies to hold the Cubs bats largely silent. And oh was it nice to see 15 runs on the board Saturday.

One point of defense for the bullpen is that they lead the league in bullpen losses, not sure about blown games. I think that's a relatively important differentiation, because our offense doesn't score late into the game. So if we went into like the 7th inning and the bullpen gives up 1 run in 3 innings, they get the loss. Some of that is on our offense for not being able to score late in games. The bullpen hasn't been good, but the leading the league in bullpen losses is a little misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    One point of defense for the bullpen is that they lead the league in bullpen losses, not sure about blown games. I think that's a relatively important differentiation, because our offense doesn't score late into the game. So if we went into like the 7th inning and the bullpen gives up 1 run in 3 innings, they get the loss. Some of that is on our offense for not being able to score late in games. The bullpen hasn't been good, but the leading the league in bullpen losses is a little misleading.
    Agree because yes the Brewers middle relief has been bad but the 8th and 9th inning has been on lockdown since the break. Knebel has been phenomenal the last two months.

Another thing, I am not sure what to say about Braun being 8th on the team in RBIs behind Arcia, Aguilar. If you had told me before the season Aguilar and Arcia have more RBIs than Braun in September, I'd say either Braun better retire or he was injured in May and didn't return.

The Brewers play the Marlins sandwiched between the Pirates I think it's 9 games...if they can go 7-2....

Well I should clarify I did not say blown saves, I said blown games which is the equivalent of losses. Our bullpen has given up more leads than any other. You can blame it on the offense sure, and the pen has been much better lately. But early in the year the bullpen was complete garbage and until we had Hader and Schwazak we had no one other than Knebel that could get outs.

To defend Braun, he did miss some time and I think his injuries have taken away a bit of his slugging ability. I also don't think players have gotten on base in front of him very often. He's still our best bat when healthy and I don't think its close. Hopefully he can pick it up down the stretch and return to form next season.

To talk about Jimmy Nelson a little, do you guys favor putting a DH in the NL? I've always been against it, but from a pure entertainment and keeping your pitchers healthy standpoint it somewhat makes sense. The pitcher is basically an automatic out in most games and it seems like half of pitching injuries happen while batting. I know you lose a little strategy by removing the pitchers spot in the order but I've heard an argument to fix that. Basically you're allowed a DH but only for the starting pitcher. As soon as the starter is removed you lose your DH (The player at DH would have the option to move to a position in place of any other fielder at that point). This would still force managers to use double switches and pinch hitters for the relief pitchers and keep the same strategy they use now, while almost never forcing a pitcher to bat. Thought?

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast